New Sony A7rii announced.

fractal

Original Poster
Here are the specs which include new 42mpx back illuminated sensor (first for full frame), IBIS, internal 4k, new AF, shutter dampener, rolling shutter and silent shutter mode. All yours for $3,200.

Looks like Sony checked off everybody's wish list. Now we see what the reviews and tests say.

A7rII:

• 42MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
  • BIONZ X Image Processor
  • 5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
  • 399 Phase-Detect AF Points & 5 fps Burst
  • Internal 4K XAVC S Video & S-Log2 Gamma
  • Weather-Resistant Magnesium Alloy Body
  • ISO 102,400
  • Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...minated-35mm-full-frame-sensor-300097178.html

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Once again, Sony raising the bar. Its amazing what they do with each revision - HUGE feature upgrades. Whereas Canon and Nikon think it's still OK to give a 1 stop boost in ISO, or an extra 3 AF points, and call it a II.

fractal

Original Poster
Looks like the Phase detect AF will work with 3rd party lens. Amazing.

This from DPreview...

"PDAF will work even with third-party lenses via existing adapters, including in continuous AF tracking mode. This is potentially a huge deal - especially for Canon users. We've used an a7R II with a Canon 24-70mm lens and a Metabones adapter, and focus is indeed very fast indeed. We'll be looking at this in more depth as soon as we have a production sample camera, but for now, we're highly impressed."

Last edited:

NowInc

Still not ready to jump ship just yet. Its getting harder to deny the inevitable, and I am impressed with what they are doing, but still need another year or two to make it worth it (for me) to switch. Battery life is a huge thing for me, as well as NATIVE lens compatibility (I dont mind adapters per-say..but would rather not have to use them...which is just a personal preference). I also wasn't impressed with the previous models dynamic range in comparison to that on my Nikon (which is interesting seeing out Sony makes the sensor on both bodies I used). I am not sure if its because of the "tweaks" nikon makes , or just the way mirrorless captures images...but we will see how this model works in the field in the coming months. One thing is sure, It has my interest peaked :)

donsullivan

Premium Member
I saw this yesterday and as a former owner of an a7R it was definitely intriguing. One of the reasons I gave up and sold my a7R was the horrible autofocus, it was just way too limiting. The reports do seem to indicate that it is significant better and especially improved with an adapter and Canon lenses which is the way I was using the a7R.

I'm also curious what they did with the shutter mechanism. The a7R sounded like you had dropped a box of hammers whenever you clicked the shutter, and that mechanism introduced a good amount of shake into the camera. With that much increase in resolution, hopefully they've done some things in the design to deal with that or it will seriously limit the bounds within which you can actually use this camera.

Having tried the path once already I'm not ready to jump back in for a couple of years but it is definitely intriguing to watch it evolve.

fractal

Original Poster
I know it's not the be all to end all and a camera is more than it's sensor, but consider this;

By August the world's best FF sensor will not be in a Nikon. This is clearly a departure from Sony's previous strategy as they are now putting their best sensor exclusively first in a Sony Camera.

NowInc

I know it's not the be all to end all and a camera is more than it's sensor, but consider this;

By August the world's best FF sensor will not be in a Nikon. This is clearly a departure from Sony's previous strategy as they are now putting their best sensor exclusively first in a Sony Camera.

Unless there is one being put into a yet to be announced nikon body, which is what a few rumors have claimed. Either way its an exciting time to be into cameras!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom