News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

etc98

IMG_2426.jpeg
IMG_2428.jpeg

Comparing the original concept art to the new one I’m most disappointed at the dramatic cutback of greenery on the facade. It’s most noticeable at the corner where the left wing meets the center, but it’s apparent throughout the entire building.

You can also tell they really scaled back the size of the windows/doors, especially on the upper floors.

I think the darker color roofs are an improvement though.

Fido Chuckwagon

So if I’m reading that right, they haven’t announced when you will be able to make points-based reservations? DVC members are just being given the “opportunity” to pay cash rack rate to book it early?

Big_Shakalaka

Is it too early to start the rumour that the monorail was supposed to go through the big square opening?
I thought the EXACT same thing the other day.
"But, due to design flaws in the building and monorail track system, plans were abandoned late in the project to allow the monorail to travel through the building"

Sir_Cliff

I seem to be one of the few who doesn't love the interior design here.

On the positive side, it matches the general design of the building in that it seems like a generic (albeit upscale) modern apartment or office building with some wood finishes and vaguely Polynesian flourishes. That, to me, is also the downside. The stone floors and wooden beams that give the Polynesian and Aulani their charm are absent, let alone touches like the murals from Aulani. It's not ugly as such, just sterile.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Biggest question here is the orange circled thing. The way it's drawn has look of something taller. At Coronado I'd say like pyramid stairs? At Polynesian, folks do miss the old lobby water features. That's my current hope just from the very little bit we see, but I realize that's thinking with my heart.

I can't tell if the wall is a water feature? More wish casting. 😂

Brian

I seem to be one of the few who doesn't love the interior design here.

On the positive side, it matches the general design of the building in that it seems like a generic (albeit upscale) modern apartment or office building with some wood finishes and vaguely Polynesian flourishes. That, to me, is also the downside. The stone floors and wooden beams that give the Polynesian and Aulani their charm are absent, let alone touches like the murals from Aulani. It's not ugly as such, just sterile.
Sterile seems to be the trend in hotel design at large, not just at Disney. Of course, Disney should be a trendsetter, not a follower, but it's still pretty good looking imho, though final judgement should be reserved for the final product.

Sir_Cliff

Sterile seems to be the trend in hotel design at large, not just at Disney. Of course, Disney should be a trendsetter, not a follower, but it's still pretty good looking imho, though final judgement should be reserved for the final product.
True, and I am generally happier with the cleaner designs of many of Disney's new hotel rooms (e.g. Yacht & Beach Club). I think their lobby redesigns, though, have generally been downgrades that suggest an aversion to theming in hotel design, for example with random decorations and furniture that seem like they have been sourced at Crate and Barrel.

We'll see with this one, it could be that the finishings and fittings will end up looking nicer in the final designs.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I like the interior design, interested to see the room rates on this. Any guesses?

Grand Floridian is the ceiling so someone with time can compare the Grand Floridian Villas cash rack rates because VGF has water and standard view rooms, like the Island Tower. Then compare GF and Poly hotel rates to see what percent Poly is to GF. The Island Tower duos, I'd look at what percent the Riviera tower rooms are compared to studios, and then use that estimate tower studios. There's no real comp for penthouse rooms though, they're not quite grand villas but maybe still be similarly priced?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom