New PhotoPass Option at Space Mountain

RAXIP

Original Poster
Beginning on June 28, 2010, Guests will have new options for their photos from the Space Mountain® Attraction. The three product options available to the Guests are:
  • Purchase their photo as a print. A variety of print sizes and packages are available. These prints will be made directly by the systems inside the Space Mountain Merchandise Shop.
  • Purchase their photo as a digital download from the DisneyPhotoPass.com website
  • Purchase their photo as a digital file and combined with other bonus digital content on a Disney-themed USB drive.

Guests will also get a Space Mountain themed PhotoPass card which can later be used at any other PhotoPass location.

The USB Drive will include the Guest's ride photo plus 7 extra professional stock photos of the Space Mountain attraction.

The original charge for the USB Drive and the first ride photo is $24.95. Additional photos can be added to the same USB drive as part of the same transaction for $9.95 per photo. All regular Merchandise discounts apply.

dreamfinder

So does this mean that you can now just scan a photopass card? The same way you can at Test Track? Or do you need to buy it to get the download option?

Seems like you will be able to scan a card, or at least say that my picture and have them give you a new card due to the SM themed photopass mentioned.

RAXIP

Original Poster
So does this mean that you can now just scan a photopass card? The same way you can at Test Track? Or do you need to buy it to get the download option?

Seems like you will be able to scan a card, or at least say that my picture and have them give you a new card due to the SM themed photopass mentioned.

It appears the photo (physical or digital) must be purchased at the attraction in order to have it put onto the PhotoPass. It is not self-service like at Test Track.

Master Gracey 5

I'm intrigued by the USB option. Any idea if they mean to have that phase out the CD option, or if they are simply offering it as an alternative?

dreamfinder

It appears the photo (physical or digital) must be purchased at the attraction in order to have it put onto the PhotoPass. It is not self-service like at Test Track.

Which is a shame. Sounds like it is more along the lines of the photos at Chef Mickey's then. Don't quite understand the concept behind buying the digital pictures from SM, but then having to log onto the website to download it. I can't see them getting much traffic from that method.

I'm intrigued by the USB option. Any idea if they mean to have that phase out the CD option, or if they are simply offering it as an alternative?

I'd have to say its an alternative. Hopefully the USB stick is at least branded. Despite USB sticks having dropped in price, a CDR is still cheaper than a USB stick. We are talking cents vs dollars. And I can't see Disney switching methods unless there is a cost benefit to them. $24.95 for a single ride picture with some stock photos would hopefully get at least a 512 MB stick if not a 1 GB, but I can easily see them cheaping out and doing a 128 MB stick (or less).

I'm intrigued, but need to wait until more details come out about what actually is involved and the process before I make up my mind.

RoRo

Why didn't they just make it like Test Track where you just scan the photopass where you see your on-ride photo :shrug:.

The photo on SM isn't even good anyway :lol:. Its not worth the hubbub.

GrumpyFan

Wait, so this is a separate Photopass from the original? Or am I reading it wrong? Can the SM photopass picture not be merged into the existing photopass a guest might already have?

zweltar

Wait, so this is a separate Photopass from the original? Or am I reading it wrong? Can the SM photopass picture not be merged into the existing photopass a guest might already have?
I think this is the impression most people are getting. A separate SM themed photopass card. Seems like a waste to me. I, too, wish it would be like TT where you can scan a normal photopass card.

From a Photopass cast member today, as outside contracts are up with onride photo vendors they will be switching to Test Track systems. For what it is worth I would be surprised if you cant scan the photo onto a photopass. Will check it out tonight.

We've dined at Chef Mickey's for a number of years, and you'll find the photopass # on the back of the picture you purchase. I've added that to my Photopass account before with no problems.

I'm hoping it's the same for Space Mountain. Just buy the cheap picture, and take the code off the back and add it to your account.

magicmaya

The SM pics are horrible. I had to pose like I was scared so the picture would turn out fine. They shouldve changed the re-entry tunnel and put the camera in there because that's where people get most excited...lazyness...:brick:

Craig & Lisa

I like the idea of the flash drive, and looking at the prices I would say it was no different than getting them from photopass.com. But I do have one question, how would you get more pics on the flash drive? would it be possible for the photographers to simply download them from some kind of small HD that they would carry with them, their cameras are digital SLR, and I know there are many ways they can be downloaded. But what they could do is have a special photopass kiosk at the resorts, or a number of them because so many people would more than likely buy them, scan your photopass card, then look at the photos that were taken, choose the one's you wanted, stick in the flashdrive, pay the kiosk and they get downloaded into your drive. To prevent anybody from using their own drives they would have to encript them so the kiosk will only do the Disney drive. Makes sense, but they should give guests a choice of sizes so they don't have to buy more of them, and be told how many pics each one holds.

Silentkink

I like the idea of the flash drive, and looking at the prices I would say it was no different than getting them from photopass.com. But I do have one question, how would you get more pics on the flash drive? would it be possible for the photographers to simply download them from some kind of small HD that they would carry with them, their cameras are digital SLR, and I know there are many ways they can be downloaded. But what they could do is have a special photopass kiosk at the resorts, or a number of them because so many people would more than likely buy them, scan your photopass card, then look at the photos that were taken, choose the one's you wanted, stick in the flashdrive, pay the kiosk and they get downloaded into your drive. To prevent anybody from using their own drives they would have to encript them so the kiosk will only do the Disney drive. Makes sense, but they should give guests a choice of sizes so they don't have to buy more of them, and be told how many pics each one holds.
I like this idea a lot. I hope this is how it works because if it is then I know my family will be buying the USB stick for our photos.

dreamfinder

It sounds like the USB stick is exclusive to SM. The initial information posted says you can add additional photos as part of the same transaction for the additonal 9.95 per photo. So if you had a group of people with multiple pictures, you could buy them all at once and have them loaded onto the drive.

As said before, it sounds like this really has not much to do with photopass, and is more like the option at Chef Mickeys. You buy the photos from Chef Mickeys and you can add the pics to your photopass account. Getting the physical prints at breakfast in the little folder is akin to getting the USB stick. It doesn't really seem to actually be fully integrated into photopass like Test Track is. Hopefully someone will be able to provide a full report soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom