New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

mikenatcity1

It'd be nice but it'd also be a first.

Given how much FoF was cut and it still made the grade in managements eyes it's unlikey.

How much was actually cut from FoF? From what i've seen on here and reactions in the park (and from the parade itself), it's one of the best parades in quite a long time. If this is a result of a budget cut, my mind would have been absolutely blown with what was originally planned.

Next Big Thing

It'd be nice but it'd also be a first.

Given how much FoF was cut and it still made the grade in managements eyes it's unlikey.
Well, I mean, sure things may have been cut from what FoF was originally supposed to get, but it's still a really nice parade.

I don't mean this in a bad way, but sometimes I think you can be a bit jaded in your opinions as you have so much knowledge of what could have been.

Sage of Time

To be fair, I was never expecting something on the scale of WoC. I don't think that would be possible in DAK without MAJOR changes to the river and they have never said they are going to do that.

I'm unsure if budget cuts mean anything at the moment when we don't even know the scope of the show itself OR the tech they'll be using.

Kman101

I don't think it was ever meant to be on the scale of WOC. Wasn't that debunked from the very beginning? I'm not saying I'm sure budget cuts didn't happen but it's once again people EXPECTING something and it not being that. Would WOC level be better. Of course. That doesn't mean this won't be good, either.

ABQ

That's it. If you find a video it's actually a pretty decent concept. They choreograph the fountains to music. It's not as impressive as WOC, but still pretty cool.

Yep. It's free and runs pretty frequently at night. They even change over to Christmas music around the holidays. Its still pretty cool even though it's free.

It looks a little like a bigger Fountain of Nations to me.
Not at all commenting on what may or may not come of the Rivers of Light, but the comparison to both Bellagio and then the Fountain of Nations is not without a little irony as the Bellagio fountain show was designed by WET, a company made up of former Disney Imagineers, Mark Fuller, Melanie Simon, and Alan Robinson.

MerlinTheGoat

While i'm a huge fan of Festival of Fantasy, it's budget cuts show quite clearly. It feels like it was supposed to have AT LEAST another 3-5 extra floats in there. And I gather this is exactly what occurred, I recall reading from insiders that a number of floats were cut from the original plan. What's there is great, but it definitely feels unfinished.

And yes, the DAK night show budget has been substantially cut since it was proposed.
Do you happen to have any idea what sort of things will be missing from the show that are being portrayed in the concept art? It would be a shame if they don't outfit the tree with the new lighting shown for instance. I'm guessing the boat performers might not be present either...

I don't think it was ever meant to be on the scale of WOC. Wasn't that debunked from the very beginning? I'm not saying I'm sure budget cuts didn't happen but it's once again people EXPECTING something and it not being that.
Maybe debunked after the budget cuts happened, but no I have no doubt that the imagineers originally planned Rivers of Light to be on World of Color's level as a nighttime spectacular. Whylightbulb stated that the project was originally going to be similar in quality and scale to World of Color as well before the budget was mutilated. The concept art released also looks very similar to the concept art for WoC.
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2014/05/RiversOfLight-Concept-Large-1.jpg

Last edited:

Sage of Time

While i'm a huge fan of Festival of Fantasy, it's budget cuts show quite clearly. It feels like it was supposed to have AT LEAST another 3-5 extra floats in there. And I gather this is exactly what occurred, I recall reading from insiders that a number of floats were cut from the original plan. What's there is great, but it definitely feels unfinished.

Do you happen to have any idea what sort of things will be missing from the show that are being portrayed in the concept art? It would be a shame if they don't outfit the tree with the new lighting shown for instance. I'm guessing the boat performers might not be present either...

Maybe debunked after the budget cuts happened, but no I have no doubt that the imagineers originally planned Rivers of Light to be on World of Color's level as a nighttime spectacular. Whylightbulb stated that the project was originally going to be similar in quality and scale to World of Color as well before the budget was mutilated. The concept art released also looks very similar to the concept art for WoC.
IMO- that looks nothing like WoC. WoC is all fountains and lights. The above artwork is much more driven by imagery and those floating barges.

Cesar R M

what a shame, because the concept art looked incredible.
something to inspire and make people dream.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
He did :) ( @GoofGoof im not going to go and post the actual plans am I ?)

And yes, the DAK night show budget has been substantially cut since it was proposed.
Fair enough. I wasn't trying to start up an old debate about Mine Train again. My only point is that almost every project is going to look different than originally proposed and cuts will take place. The real question to me is will the finished version be something high quality and worthwhile.

If all of these rumors are true and the tree doesn't have lights and the barges have been removed that sounds pretty lame. What's left? Fountains and some lights. I don't get it. Doesn't seem worth building a viewing area for something that likely won't hold very much interest.

jensenrick

That's it. If you find a video it's actually a pretty decent concept. They choreograph the fountains to music. It's not as impressive as WOC, but still pretty cool.

While I don't wish to argue subjective values, I am surprised to see WOC seen as more impressive than Bellagio. Just in scope and grandeur alone, I'd have to give the Bellagio fountains points for impressiveness over anything at a theme park.
Although full disclosure- I haven't seen WOC in person. But experience reminds me of all I've heard about how great Fantasmic was, and that was one and done for me.

flyerjab

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to start up an old debate about Mine Train again. My only point is that almost every project is going to look different than originally proposed and cuts will take place. The real question to me is will the finished version be something high quality and worthwhile.

If all of these rumors are true and the tree doesn't have lights and the barges have been removed that sounds pretty lame. What's left? Fountains and some lights. I don't get it. Doesn't seem worth building a viewing area for something that likely won't hold very much interest.

I am in complete agreement with you on this one @GoofGoof in that there is no way that this will have this huge, dedicated viewing area constructed along the water so the people can sit and watch dancing fountains. I also don't think that this was ever stated officially anywhere that it was going to be Orlando's version of WoC either.

I am also in your camp concerning taking something from concept to final implementation; all projects will change and there are cuts, especially in today's world. Maybe the FoF parade is the best example of this. IMO that parade is phenomenal, and it was a successful endeavor despite any budget cuts or design changes that occurred throughout the life of the project that brought that parade to life. I tend to judge things on the final version of how it turned out as opposed to the multiple different iterations of what it could have been. Looking at things in that manner, everything could always be made bigger, longer, faster, more detailed, etc.

Incomudro

I am in complete agreement with you on this one @GoofGoof in that there is no way that this will have this huge, dedicated viewing area constructed along the water so the people can sit and watch dancing fountains. I also don't think that this was ever stated officially anywhere that it was going to be Orlando's version of WoC either.

I am also in your camp concerning taking something from concept to final implementation; all projects will change and there are cuts, especially in today's world. Maybe the FoF parade is the best example of this. IMO that parade is phenomenal, and it was a successful endeavor despite any budget cuts or design changes that occurred throughout the life of the project that brought that parade to life. I tend to judge things on the final version of how it turned out as opposed to the multiple different iterations of what it could have been. Looking at things in that manner, everything could always be made bigger, longer, faster, more detailed, etc.

I know I'm a newbie on this site (having lurked and visited a long time) but I can't help but think some people put too much stock into early concept art, no?
It's a bit like looking at automobile concept art and thinking that the production version of the car is going to look like the design sketch.
It's conjecture and exaggeration.
Who knows what concept art we may never have seen for favorite existing attractions for which the final product doesn't measure up to?
Epcot itself for that matter was nothing like Walt's Florida Project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom