New modern day costumes coming to American Adventure?

wilkeliza

It's not a matter of shooting the messager, but recognizing BS when you see it, or at least seeing the faulty logic from whomever made the costume change. I'm sure CM's were told the reason was because the pavilion was not supposed represent colonial times, but the original design intent (as some other posters illustrated with photos) was to do just that.

We all know it's not the CM's fault that management is so clueless. Front line CM's are always the ones to deal with the boneheaded decisions of folks from above who "know better". I'm sure that the new costumes are more comfortable. But it would have been nice to see redesigned costumes that perhaps are more comfy, or use more breathable fabrics or are more flattering to various body shapes but still fit the colonial theme. Instead of unique colonial America costumes that fit their surroundings, we have a generic costume that is a cross between McDonalds and Delta Airlines. There was no reason to dumb them down like this.

I understand it just seems everyone is yelling at me when they call it out.

prberk

[EDIT -- did not see new posts, still getting used to new format here when going directly to a post from an alert.] I hope that they will still consider reversing course... and think about the pictures I posted above.

They had it right already... changing it still clashes with the attention to detail that they currently have on the pavilion that represents America, and which is already adorned in the decoration most closely associated with the birthplace of its ideals and its dedication to freedom.

The original costumes probably had the same detail (not actual age, just of cotton styles prevalent for the time).

I can see usuing a thinner fabric or making slight alterations, but still using the same style of Colonial wear. Just get back to the detail that they had worked so hard for.

The Empress Lilly

It's not a matter of shooting the messager, but recognizing BS when you see it, or at least seeing the faulty logic from whomever made the costume change. I'm sure CM's were told the reason was because the pavilion was not supposed represent colonial times, but the original design intent (as some other posters illustrated with photos) was to do just that.

We all know it's not the CM's fault that management is so clueless. Front line CM's are always the ones to deal with the boneheaded decisions of folks from above who "know better". I'm sure that the new costumes are more comfortable. But it would have been nice to see redesigned costumes that perhaps are more comfy, or use more breathable fabrics or are more flattering to various body shapes but still fit the colonial theme. Instead of unique colonial America costumes that fit their surroundings, we have a generic costume that is a cross between McDonalds and Delta Airlines. There was no reason to dumb them down like this.
CM's disliked the previous uniforms. They were hot, uncomfortable, some CM's jokied around about fearing lice in them. Small wonder with costumes that are thirty years old.

But that is the reason to modernise the costumes, not to choose a modern design. If your 1982 family car is having trouble, you do not replace it with a 2012 two-seater sports car, you replace it with a 2012 family car.

The obvious solution was to modernise the colonial garb with modern fabrics, not replace it with 'outdoor sports wear meets fast food costume'.

The choice for modern generic costumes was not based on CM complaints. Although it is obviously presented to the CM's as such. As a decision based ona pressing desire to improve their working condition - 'look at us, we are listening to you and are always striving to improve your $2.39 an hour job'.
It was based on a middle management decision to overhaul WS. I think for no other reason than that it looks good on a resumé: '2012 - Brought a tired theme park into the 21st century'.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Its funny how with the younger generation (I know this from first hand experience with a 13 yo) that when you are disagreed with or told you are wrong, it doesnt matter how soft the conversation is, you are yelled at.

prberk

Like I said guys don't shoot the messenger. I work at EPCOT and that was the reasoning I was told by several cast members who work at AA. Way to know when you guys hate something ya'll are completely set on hating it. Many of the CMs are happy with the change because the costumes are much better for those that stand in the heat for long hours of the day.
As others have said, no one is shooting the messenger or aiming anything at you. We are aiming at the management, hoping that they will see the value of the visual medium and theme.

As for other cast members liking it; I know that I spoke with an older CM while I was there at the pavilion in early September (when I took the pictures), and he completely agreed that the changes completely undermined the detail that they otherwise take pains to point out to anyone who asks.

scpergj

Yeah, it would be much more realistic if the hat was turned around backwards and the pants were pulled down below the buttocks revealing Mickey Mouse Boxer Shorts!

PleasePleasePlease don't give them any ideas...these are bad enough. The merchandise costumes are just fine...but the others are pretty bad...

PeoplemoverTTA

Does anyone know what, if anything, happened to CM Lonnie for leaking this information and taking the stance that he did?

It would be a shame to lose such a great CM, but I can't imagine that Disney just shrugged off his statements.

I visited AA on 9/7 and Lonnie was working, giving his inspiring and educational tours of the AA pavilion. That man is a WDW treasure! Even at around 8pm, people were excitedly yelling out answers to his trivia questions and loudly applauding his excellent presentation.

Many of the CMs are happy with the change because the costumes are much better for those that stand in the heat for long hours of the day.

This is obviously an informal poll, but a few weeks ago I asked several AA CMs what they thought of the new costumes (not sharing my personal opinion), and the answers ranged from, "I don't think they make much sense, but I guess they're okay," to "I really prefer the current costumes." An interesting perspective.

DougK

You are going to let that ruin your trip????

No, I was kidding. The costume change will not ruin my trip. I thought the "rolling eyes" smiley face would ensure everyone knew I was joking around. I am really just poking fun at how many things come up on these boards where people really do say their vacation will be ruined now that Disney did x,y, or z.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No, I was kidding. The costume change will not ruin my trip. I thought the "rolling eyes" smiley face would ensure everyone knew I was joking around. I am really just poking fun at how many things come up on these boards where people really do say their vacation will be ruined now that Disney did x,y, or z.

Vacations are ruined because Disney did x,y, AND z. Add them all up, and your vacation becomes a little less magical.

themonkeyisthesultan

The new costumes aren't great, but I'm glad they're no longer identical to the costumes in Liberty Square. Now hopefully they'll change the Jungle Cruise costumes so they're different from the Kilamanjaro costumes.

montyz81

Thank god, I agree with you. Nothing really ever ruins my trip save for the day Horizons closed (I never got a chance to ride it).

TP2000

Instead of unique colonial America costumes that fit their surroundings, we have a generic costume that is a cross between McDonalds and Delta Airlines. There was no reason to dumb them down like this.

That's an insult to Delta Airlines and McDonalds.

Both of those companies happen to have undergone uniform changes meant to bring glamour back to flying, or style back to fast food.

I just flew Delta cross country last month, and the stewardesses looked fantastic in very modern, stylish red dresses and hats.
3401048035_d43778a9b1_z.jpg

And McDonalds made headlines this summer by announcing they were rolling out new crew uniforms that tried to look less polyester fast food with predictable ball cap and more profesional style-maker with skinny tie.
getAsset.aspx

The uniforms now worn by American Adventure CM's look to me like a typical 1980's Burgerama employee for the casual look, or a 1970's school librarian in a poorly tailored polyester skirt and jacket for the more formal look. It's not even fast food or dowdy librarian of the 21st century; they are styles and patterns that look several decades old at this point.

It just boggles the mind to think about the meetings they had where this whole thing was approved. :confused:

sydney

I don't understand what the fuss is about. I can't think of a single costume that is flattering or attractive on disney property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom