New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

articos

Stupid question time:
Why are there two sets of people headed in opposite directions? Presumably one group headed out and one group headed in? I thought this was for swift egress only.
If it's open and you'd like to use it from the train station side, you can. If Main Street is packed, or if there's a parade going, the bypass can work both ways. :)

Next Big Thing

Presumably though, when the park is closing this becomes one-way?
Nope, it's two way the entire time it is open. Depending on when the fireworks are will depend on the bypass time, but it will always be open until 1 hour after the fireworks. So if the fireworks are at 9 in a slower period, the bypass hours will be 7-10 pm, if the fireworks are at 10 like usual, it's open from 8-11. There are a few exceptions (24 hour day, NYE, July 4th, etc.), but this is almost always the case having first hand experience.

Even if park hours are only open until 11 and the bypass closes at 11, we still allow two-way traffic. Disney doesn't kick anyone out, but at that point there's people watching to make sure they only go down main street. By them having to go back down main street at a time where there's no crowds, there's a chance they'll stop and possibly get some ice cream, go to Starbucks or shop at the emporium. So really people coming back down at the end of the night is just more possible profit as far as Disney sees it.

I will say though, if anyone ever sees the OTHER bypass open (the parking lot behind the emporium), THAT bypass is only one way. It's a very congested path when used and thousands of people go through in less than 2 hours of it being open. The person at the gate near the car barn is told to direct guests to the other bypass if they wish to skip the Main Street crowds. This bypass however is still unthemed and will never be themed. It's only used when there is 60K or more in the park - management has to make the call to open it or not.

Kman101

I think they had that one open during last year's 24 hour party (crowds by 9pm were horrendous). I definitely passed where they store the main street vehicles. Clearly not themed, lol. I liked going through it just because I don't mind seeing the backstage parts.

Cast members always seemed stationed no matter what in the bypass so there seems to be a good flow. They keep people moving.

Next Big Thing

I think they had that one open during last year's 24 hour party (crowds by 9pm were horrendous). I definitely passed where they store the main street vehicles. Clearly not themed, lol. I liked going through it just because I don't mind seeing the backstage parts.

Cast members always seemed stationed no matter what in the bypass so there seems to be a good flow. They keep people moving.
Yeah, CMs need to be much more on their toes and constantly be keeping things moving while over there, especially with many guests wanting to stop and take pictures backstage or try and run up to the main street vehicles. The clamp has to be put on quickly, since normally when that side is open outside of things like the 24 hours day, it's when the fireworks are letting out, so a huge crowd comes all at once (and as I said, much more congested than the permanent bypass on the opposite side).

MagicHappens1971

Did anyone take a picture of the turrets? According to the Parks blog they "premiered" the 21st.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 6.45.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 6.45.03 PM.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 78

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Sure wish it would have helped this past Saturday night. Did anyone else experience this?

We arrived at the MK around 11:00PM from SSR. This is was going on:

(1) We waited what seemed like an abnormally long time to turn off of World Way (or whatever the name of the road is that runs by the Contemporary) into the bus depot at MK. I notice both an ambulance and a fire truck.
(2) When circling the bus depot to our particular bay (which also took longer than normal - we were in a bus traffic jam), we noticed the line at one of the stops to snake all the way to the boat launch FOR THE GRAND FLORIDIAN (yikes!)
(3) When we finally stopped and got off our bus, I noticed that long line was for buses to the TTC. I've never seen BUSES at the MK bus depot going to the TTC. My first thought was that the ferries weren't running (horrors!), but it wasn't windy or rainy. And the ferries were running.
(4) It was a SEA of people from the bus depot to bag check. And by sea, I mean a mass of people not moving. Normally, it's a not too congested walk from the bus depot to the boat launches to bag check, etc. Not through this wall of people.
(5) We wanted to ride the boat back to our resort (staying at WL Villas). Wasn't going to happen. Couldn't get past the boat launch for the ferries. Half of the bag check area was being used to get people OUT OF THE PARK (left side); the other half was being used to get people INTO THE PARK. Like I said, this was 11:00 PM this past Saturday (Wishes for some reason was at 9:00 PM that night).

I've visited during busy times - 4th of July, Thanksgiving, 3 day holiday weekends, 24 hour event, everything but Hell Week. I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS. People trying to get into the park (EMH from 1-3 AM) as we were trying to get to our boat to WL were saying they'd been trying to get into the MK for over 30 minutes. We never did get to the boat - the CM told us to turn around and take the bus to our resort (long story - we wanted to get to DTD from DHS and I had the brilliant idea that since SSR is the closest to DTD, let's take bus from DHS to SSR then hop on bus from SSR to DTD. Long story short - no bus to DTD after 40 minutes, so we just decided to go back to our resort. So bus from SSR to MK and boat to WL sounded like a good idea at the time...now that they've constructed all the parking garages, can Disney just charge people to park at DTD [oops, sorry Disney Springs] and start running buses from DTD to the parks again? Please?).

I checked the next day to see if there'd been some type of emergency at MK that required a mass evacuation of the park, but didn't see anything (guest beaten to death with own selfie stick on POTC by people in seat behind for using strobe flash on ride) or sparks from the Wishes fireworks set the top of 7DMT on fire again, but nothing.

Anybody have any idea what was happening that night? Was it Grad Bash? My solo bus driver wouldn't tell me when I asked. He rambled on about religious conferences and such....

MagicHappens1971

Sure wish it would have helped this past Saturday night. Did anyone else experience this?

(1) We waited what seemed like an abnormally long time to turn off of World Way (or whatever the name of the road is that runs by the Contemporary) into the bus depot at MK. I notice both an ambulance and a fire truck.
(2) When circling the bus depot to our particular bay (which also took longer than normal - we were in a bus traffic jam), we noticed the line at one of the stops to snake all the way to the boat launch FOR THE GRAND FLORIDIAN (yikes!)
(3) When we finally stopped and got off our bus, I noticed that long line was for buses to the TTC. I've never seen BUSES at the MK bus depot going to the TTC. My first thought was that the ferries weren't running (horrors!), but it wasn't windy or rainy. And the ferries were running.
(4) It was a SEA of people from the bus depot to bag check. And by sea, I mean a mass of people not moving. Normally, it's a not too congested walk from the bus depot to the boat launches to bag check, etc. Not through this wall of people.
(5) We wanted to ride the boat back to our resort (staying at WL Villas). Wasn't going to happen. Couldn't get past the boat launch for the ferries. Half of the bag check area was being used to get people OUT OF THE PARK (left side); the other half was being used to get people INTO THE PARK. Like I said, this was 11:00 PM this past Saturday (Wishes for some reason was at 9:00 PM that night).

I've visited during busy times - 4th of July, Thanksgiving, 3 day holiday weekends, 24 hour event, everything but Hell Week. I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS. People trying to get into the park (EMH from 1-3 AM) as we were trying to get to our boat to WL were saying they'd been trying to get into the MK for over 30 minutes. We never did get to the boat - the CM told us to turn around and take the bus to our resort (long story - we wanted to get to DTD from DHS and I had the brilliant idea that since SSR is the closest to DTD, let's take bus from DHS to SSR then hop on bus from SSR to DHS. Long story short - no bus to DTD after 40 minutes, so we just decided to go back to our resort. So bus from SSR to MK and boat to WL sounded like a good idea at the time...now that they've constructed all the parking garages, can Disney just charge people to park at DTD [oops, sorry Disney Springs] and start running buses from DTD to the parks again? Please?).

I checked the next day to see if there'd been some type of emergency at MK that required a mass evacuation of the park, but didn't see anything (guest beaten to death with own selfie stick on POTC by people in seat behind for using strobe flash on ride) or sparks from the Wishes fireworks set the top of 7DMT on fire again, but nothing.

Anybody have any idea what was happening that night? Was it Grad Bash? My solo bus driver wouldn't tell me when I asked. He rambled on about religious conferences and such....
Something very similar happened 2 weeks ago. The monorails were down and they couldn't get enough boats out. A guest fell on the floor during a seizure.

Next Big Thing

I've visited during busy times - 4th of July, Thanksgiving, 3 day holiday weekends, 24 hour event, everything but Hell Week. I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS. People trying to get into the park (EMH from 1-3 AM) as we were trying to get to our boat to WL were saying they'd been trying to get into the MK for over 30 minutes. We never did get to the boat - the CM told us to turn around and take the bus to our resort (long story - we wanted to get to DTD from DHS and I had the brilliant idea that since SSR is the closest to DTD, let's take bus from DHS to SSR then hop on bus from SSR to DTD. Long story short - no bus to DTD after 40 minutes, so we just decided to go back to our resort. So bus from SSR to MK and boat to WL sounded like a good idea at the time...now that they've constructed all the parking garages, can Disney just charge people to park at DTD [oops, sorry Disney Springs] and start running buses from DTD to the parks again? Please?).

I'm not sure what happened that night and sorry you had a bad experience, but the bypass literally would not have solved any of that. The bypass is in-park behind the confectionery.

Also, no, Grad Nite has not been a thing at WDW since 2011. Grad Bash is at Universal.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Something very similar happened 2 weeks ago. The monorails were down and they couldn't get enough boats out. A guest fell on the floor during a seizure.

This had to do with people going into and people leaving MK. Didn't see anything about tiered closings due to capacity. Ferries were running. It was as though 100,000 people decided to exit the MK as 100,000 wanted to enter. And like I said, Wishes was at 9:00 PM that night.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm not sure what happened that night and sorry you had a bad experience, but the bypass literally would not have solved any of that. The bypass is in-park behind the confectionery.

Also, no, Grad Nite has not been a thing at WDW since 2011. Grad Bash is at Universal.

Wasn't a bad experience since we just wanted to get back to our resort. I realize the bypass wouldn't have helped. I love it though - makes it so much easier to get to the back of the park after 8:00PM since you don't have to go down a crowded Main Street as everyone stakes their spot for Wishes.

Hum, now I am really curious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom