New Living Character Meet and Greets being tested at DL

Chrononymous

Wow. That's a definite Disney Win in all corners!

As a puppeteer, I have some ideas on how this can be accomplished with one very skilled performer. Tech for this sort of thing has become smaller and easier to install and operate in just the last 5 years alone.
Henson Studios has been doing this sort of thing already for many years...but I don't think it has ever looked this good before!

imagineer boy

I really do hope this is a one person thing. If its two people then I would be a bit disapointed. I really would like to see this implemented with every single masked character at the parks. The possibilites are endless!

Maybe characters in the parades can have improvised lines and interact with people along the parade route.

benji

This is the coolest thing ever! Something tells me Mickey will be talking when his new home opens on Main Street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sohappy:

I just wanted to chime in on this one. I woulda have to say that this is a 2 person position. One is friends with Mickey and is only there for animation and not even for the eye and mouth movement. The reason I state this is, the first articulate heads that came out for castle show are controlled by the friend of the character by the use of there hands in which it is pretty obvious if you are looking for it. In the two videos, I see there are no hand movements in conjunction with the articulation. The 2nd persoon involved would be in charge of the voice, eyes and mouth. If you listen to the voice in the video, the volume level never changes wether or not Mickey is looking at the camera. Thios would say the voice is coming from a central location and not from Mickey's mouth. A small radio transmitter in the head would move the animations along with the voice. I also see in the vieo is a dressing table with a mirror on it, which would be a great spot for a two way mirror for an operator to see everything.

Overall, there is not alot of room to spare in the heads after the electronics and mechanical parts to fit with the friends head much less adding in speakers synthesizers etc... This leave the friend free to be a great animator which is what they do best and to improv with the words being said.

bradk

it's a single individual. you need to think four-dimensionally.

yes, the articulated heads in the stage show are manipulated by the performer and, despite them actively trying to hide their hands as much as possible, it is more or less obvious how it's done. puppeteering 101.

however, there (and in the Feld entertainment shows), the performers are performing to track. It would be painful for them to try to automatically sync the movements along with the track (although I suppose not impossible, a la teddy ruxpin), especially should something go wrong mid-performance.

other than the eyes blinking and the mouth moving, this Mickey is completely different and in reality, that technology would be the least impressive.

quite simply put, the blinking can be on a random timer. Mickey has to blink, just like anyone else. You don't fold your fingers when you blink, so why should Mickey have to? what's not demonstrated in these videos is whether Mickey can control the blinking. Can he -- for example -- pretend to be sleeping? Not likely, but it's still possible even without having to resort to fingertips.

The technology used, which is outlined in the patent linked to above, demonstrates how the voice is manipulated from a regular speaking voice -- from ANYONE's regular speaking voice -- to Mickey's (or anyone else that's desired). This is a third piece of the puzzle. Imagine that this same voice-changing technology could have actually been used in the Muppet Mobile Labs for example.

'If' there is a vocal manipulator, that means it has to accept and recognize speech patterns. And since Mickey simply opens and closes his mouth whenever he speaks (as opposed to forming O shapes and all that other dipthongy stuff), it simply has to match when there's input into the analyzer and can easily be automated. There have been toys in the marketplace that did this kind of stuff for years. Heck, I even had a Halloween mask one year with a microphone and voice disortion unit that would open and close its mouth.

Also many of you are assuming all these electronics are in the head. Why? Why can't it be spread throughout the body, just like the patent visually displays? (if you go to http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney...nt-disney-talking-mickey-technology-20-years/ you can just see the diagram without having to go through the patent itself). And I'd contend that the box displayed could be even much smaller than as shown in the drawing which was based on technology in the early 90s (keep in mind the patent was GRANTED in 1994, which means it was probably APPLIED for in 92 or 93 and that was AFTER it was INVENTED). And the only component in the head is the microphone.

I was the first to assume this was some sort of Turtle Talk technology with Mickey equipped with a remote mic/speaker, pov camera and another camera trained on him and with a Mickey soundalike. But the patent basically proves the technology exists that it could be all operated by a single individual doing nothing more than talking.

I'm not even sure rain poses more of a threat than it would to any other character either. nothing is exposed to the elements (except sweaty human bodies).

plus I think one of the biggest sellers for the synth technology is that Mickey appears to have a very cold, disconnected tone to his voice. Especially prominent in the video released by Disney Parks. He sounds more like Ben Stein when he talks about how excited he is.

s.ollie

wow..... its just WOW..... and i understand everyone wanting to break it down and figure out the workings.... but i really just want to enjoy the magic :p:p:wave:

imagineer boy

Wow, seeing that official video simply has me giddy with excitement! When Mickey noted that the one kid was 3 years old, the reaction of his mother was priceless!

MarkTwain

And I'll see your 1962 Disneyland Creepy Mickey, and raise you a 1959 Disneyland Creepy Mickey and Minnie! SCARY!

esther40.jpg

I fold. :lol:

Well, now that the Disney Parks Blog has officially released the video, how long do you guys think it'll be before he appears daily in meet & greets?

tecowdw

Awesome! I think the interactive characters will be HUGE!! Technology can be amazing! But what happens if a technical difficulty has Mickey stop talking mid sentence? Hehe

WDWFREAK53

I didn't read the entire thread so I'm sure this has been said before...

It's probably like Push, etc...

Someone is nearby listening in with a voice manipulator and the person inside the costume is moving the mouth (or that is also controlled by the outside "random person carrying a totebag" hehe)

goreesha

How long will it be before the usual members on this message board start to criticize and bash the talking mickey? My guess is soon.

lol post number two. On this board, they start with criticizing and have to work themselves up to half-hearted compliments. "Characters are not supposed to talk! It's creepy!" Seriously, people? Seriously?

"Live characters are supposed to be mute and unblinking! And while you're at it, don't hide the zippers and seams! We grew up with mute, unblinking characters who had gaping seams and massive, uncovered zippers, and we LIKED IT! We rode Horizons three times, then we went to Communicore to meet mute Mickey Mouse in his rainbow spacesuit with unblinking eyes and visible seams, and all was right with the world!"

All you can do is lol.

By the way, live talking characters is pretty cool. I suppose it was inevitable, but its good to see the technology finally coming into place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom