New high-tech guest laundry machines rolled out at Walt Disney World Resort hotels

Admiral01

Premium Member
What? I can't charge them to my MagicBand?

Yes. As much as I have despised MagicBands, this seems like one of the areas that should have been made MB capable. Seems like a no brainer... Unless Disney can't cause the equipment is operated by a third party. Still, seems like something where MBs should be used.

JoeCamel

Good to know these are extra capacity machines. Now I can wash that parka I brought to Florida for my magical WDW vaca. Really!

FigmentFan3

Yes. As much as I have despised MagicBands, this seems like one of the areas that should have been made MB capable. Seems like a no brainer... Unless Disney can't cause the equipment is operated by a third party. Still, seems like something where MBs should be used.
The third party thing was all I could come up with too. I'd love to see it implemented though. It's a little thing, but I quite like the MagicBand ecosystem and details are always good.

snayak

The college graduates from has this now - would have been awesome back then. So many forgotten loads or trips to see if machines were empty.

mm121

You clearly missed the point. The point was a joke about throwing technology at something because it can be done, not because it really needed to be done, and a little plug at the people constantly on their phones, even on vacation.
in actuality the ability for the consumer to be updated on laundry status via text or website is probably most a secondary feature

as the primary reason for internet connectivity in the laundry room is to allow the machine company to monitor system status to know when they need to send a repair person, rather than waiting for a problem to be reported or having to just waste time going around randomly checking the machine status.
Not beyond it, necessarily. My college campus uses the same system, and it has full integration with our RFID Campus ID cards and RFID room key fobs. Makes it super easy to do laundry - we actually get push notifications when to come back to pick our clothes up, and the machines only unlock when the same ID card is tapped or swiped.
thats awesome the machines locked in your college laundry room.. totally had to do laundry late at night or sit and guard it or things would go missing

does anyone know if these disney machines lock in a similar fashion?
^^^ I would have killed to have that in college - love thae security feature too - we had to sit it out in a super hot laundry room because people were notorious for stealing clothes.
would be great if the disney machines lock too
The third party thing was all I could come up with too. I'd love to see it implemented though. It's a little thing, but I quite like the MagicBand ecosystem and details are always good.
its most likely that disney didn't actually buy these machines at all.. they probably just lease the machines/space to the laundry company and the laundry company gets a portion of the profit

if its just a lease agreement then that would be a good reason for there to not be investment by disney in incorporating the magic band tech

G00fyDad

I do all of our dirty laundry on our last day (morning). I always get up way before everyone else each day anyway. On our last day we go to the airport fairly early, but I get up about 3 hours before the others and do the laundry so we are not bringing dirty clothes home. This will be nice for me since I will be able to sit by the pool and read my book without having to constantly get up and check the machines.

Suzanne7575

I'm actually worried that this excites me, we stay for 3 weeks so we have to do laundry. I usually do it early on sleep in mornings ( as I don't really sleep in) so I do laundry and sit with a coffee by pool ( or sometimes swim) whilst the rest of my family have a lie in. At least now I'll be able to check machines are available before I lug the laundry bags down there

CheshireCat12

Tried this recently- I didn't like having to swipe a credit card, and it was a bit tricky "did it go through?" at times but managed okay. Did not love the payment option but I did really enjoy the internet timer thing. Made it easy to come back right at the exact time and get my stuff.

Disnee4Me

As we are going for 9 days in December, followed by a visit to my 96 year old mother, the last thing I want to do when I get to her place is laundry .... so I do as much as possible while we are at the World. I've been saying for years they needed to get credit card accessibility because I am tired of scrounging up quarters!!

Rob562

The item that I find most interesting is the link in each laundry room to view the usage statistics. It takes the previous 14 days' worth of usage and shows you when demand is higher and lower for that specific laundry room. Over time it could give you a better idea of when to plan to do your laundry to find available machines.

-Rob

Dwarful

For short trips I don't do laundry at WDW. However, for the 10 - 15 day trips I usually do laundry mid-trip...try to pick a day for a nice mid day break go swimming and do laundry. I used to try to do it at the end of the day...but we witnessed too many people with short tempers and big loads to make that an enjoyable experience. For those that need to do laundry during busy times this should help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom