News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

jakeman

Lack of AC is a legitimate concern. I don’t know why it’s being dismissed so facetiously on this thread.

An exec from a competitor of Dopplemayr was quoted earlier in this thread as noting temps inside their cabins are 1.5 degrees hotter than outside and that they continue to work on the possibility of AC in cabins.

When it’s 95 degrees out, a 96.5 degree gondola isn’t going to be appealing to guests (who will be paying extra for the privilege). But try to discuss that here and all you all get are jokes about baking and alligators.
You'll pick up a substantial breeze as the gondola car plummets to the earth.

Don't worry about it.

s8film40

People hop on the ferry boat to MK or the other boats around property that don’t have AC and ride those to/from the parks without issue. What is the temperature on the boats when it’s 95 degrees outside?

Would it be nice if the gondolas had AC? Yes, but is it a total disaster if they don’t? I think that depends on the person. I’m sure there are people who avoid the boats in hot weather and just drive to the parks in their air conditioned car. That’s always going to be an option.
There's a big difference between an enclosed vehicle and an open air boat. I don't really know much about these, and I don't even know if there's an example of these being used in a similar climate to look at. To me just looking at them don't seem to offer a lot of ventilation. I guess we'll find out soon enough either way.
There is a solution, don't stay at those resorts and don't get on one. Sometimes the solutions are simple. The reason is that you will only be on it for a short time and you will survive even if it stops for a brief time. It is mere minutes in ride time and if one cannot stand Florida temperatures for that brief period of time, perhaps going to WDW in mid summer would not be the smartest of ideas. Last time I looked the parks themselves are not AC'd. Just the buildings. We don't even know if they are going to be paying extra at this point. It's all just plain speculation.
As you say from a guest perspective it's really a non issue. In fact if these turn out to be a little unbearable Disney can still just run buses whenever it's hot out.

Bender123

Oh, they will increase. But some of the prices on that chart will remain below 200.

I would be amazed if they jack up the price too much on the resorts being served by this...yeah, its nice to have, but the upside financial savings and satisfaction increases from reducing busses would indicate that they are going to try to keep those hotels booked up as much as possible. Oddly, this is one time I am not surprised the costs are still at moderate cost levels (even though WDW definition of "moderate" doesn't make much sense anymore)

I wonder what the actual hourly cost of running this will be, but considering a massive decrease in staffing needs, fuel and other expenses, it must be a fraction of what the busses are currently costing. If this is successful, I wonder how quickly they will start rolling out more of these or other rumored mass transit options in a move to phase out more bus lines?

esskay

Looks like its got ventilation grills on the top and bottom...wonder if as they arrive into a station they'll go past something that'll blast cold air into those in an attempt to bring the temp down to comfortable levels.

Either way its not going to be as big of an issue as a few dramatical folk here are making out. Funnily enough Disney employs people who do research, so probably know slightly more than us about how this all works...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's a big difference between an enclosed vehicle and an open air boat. I don't really know much about these, and I don't even know if there's an example of these being used in a similar climate to look at. To me just looking at them don't seem to offer a lot of ventilation. I guess we'll find out soon enough either way.
The point that is being harped on is the fact that it’s 1.5 degrees warmer in the gondola than the outside air when not in motion. The whole 96.5 vs 95 degrees. Again, what is the actual temperature on the boats when it’s 95 degrees out? I agree that the boats are not uncomfortable because you get a breeze when in motion and as long as you get a spot in the shade the sun isn’t beating right on you. I have never ridden in a gondola in a hot environment so I can’t really say how good the ventilation will be, but I also don’t think you can just assume they won’t offer a lot of ventilation either. These things will move fast enough to generate plenty of air flow assuming they have ventilation built in.

Lets Respect

If it's the model listed above, the width between the benches is 31 inches. An ECV is 25 inches wide, roughly. So if it is carrying an ECV, that ECV is barely going to be able to fit

The benches allot 18 inches per person if you seat 5 per bench, which is about the size of an economy airplane seat.

I don't see them fitting 10 people in these at WDW. Maybe at a ski slope

NormC

If it's the model listed above, the width between the benches is 31 inches. An ECV is 25 inches wide, roughly. So if it is carrying an ECV, that ECV is barely going to be able to fit

The benches allot 18 inches per person if you seat 5 per bench, which is about the size of an economy airplane seat.

I don't see them fitting 10 people in these at WDW. Maybe at a ski slope
820 mm door width (32.3) and 800mm (31.4) inches with seats down. Bottoms of seat flip up for more space.

s8film40

The point that is being harped on is the fact that it’s 1.5 degrees warmer in the gondola than the outside air when not in motion. The whole 96.5 vs 95 degrees. Again, what is the actual temperature on the boats when it’s 95 degrees out? I agree that the boats are not uncomfortable because you get a breeze when in motion and as long as you get a spot in the shade the sun isn’t beating right on you. I have never ridden in a gondola in a hot environment so I can’t really say how good the ventilation will be, but I also don’t think you can just assume they won’t offer a lot of ventilation either. These things will move fast enough to generate plenty of air flow assuming they have ventilation built in.
Yeah I really have no knowledge and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. I'm only speculating just looking at it and from my experience in the FL heat that it appears as though it would be at least 20 degrees or more warmer inside there than the outside temperature.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I would be amazed if they jack up the price too much on the resorts being served by this...yeah, its nice to have..
The project being approved was on the condition the serviced resorts pay for most of the cost over x amount of years.
When should this open?
Around a year give or take two months either way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom