New Film for Soarin' and Potential 3rd Theater

doctornick

Actually, it is the other choice...none. It will be done very early in the morning. I don't want to give away the exact date but let's just say it is scheduled for the first week of May.

Interesting. They did the one at DCA during WoC, no? I kind of assumed they do an Epcot one during Illuminations. That said, a daytime one for contrast would be kind of cool as well and SSE is certainly unique and iconic.

I guess a flyover at the MK during Wishes is not in the cards then?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I am secretly hoping for at least one Star Wars easter egg in the new film.:D
Star+Wars+Easter+Eggs+(15).jpg

doctornick

Or even if they needed to add a gun/laser shot that didn't exist in the original version. :rolleyes:

I feel pretty confident that Disney isn't going to miss the opportunity to re-release the original trilogy in their initial form. They know it would be an easy moneymaker.

FerretAfros

Interesting. They did the one at DCA during WoC, no? I kind of assumed they do an Epcot one during Illuminations. That said, a daytime one for contrast would be kind of cool as well and SSE is certainly unique and iconic.

I guess a flyover at the MK during Wishes is not in the cards then?
Nope, they did some helicopter filming of WOC, which is often used in promotional material, but it wasn't intended to be part of a Soarin'-type film. The recent filming they did at DLR took place in the early morning hours. If any interesting backstage stuff is visible, I suspect they'll find a way to cover it all up; the backstage areas in the existing film (including construction of the Esplanade in front of the front gates as part of the DCA prep work) is all covered up with a black mask. Since the new film will be daylight, I bet they might add some extra trees in or something

As for a flyover during Illuminations or Wishes, it seems unlikely. I would bet that they don't want to fly a helicopter close enough that it would be able to see any detail while they're shooting off fireworks. The existing film has CGI pyro, so I would guess that's what they would use for the new one if it's needed. Heck, even the opening ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics scandalously used CGI fireworks in its broadcast since even China doesn't want helicopters that close to explosives

WDWFantasmicFan

2015 opening? really!?! Any chance of opening this year? - if they are filming over WDW within next month, surely that'll be the finale, or have they not filmed the other locations yet?

Will they have to shut down the ride to change it over to the new film/system, or will they be able to make the changes without shutting the entire ride down - just reducing its capacity?

Mouse_Trap

Not that its a fair comparison.....but how long should it realistically take to change over the films?
How long did Universal take something like Spiderman to upgrade, or something more similar?
Presumably they will be going 4k and digital at the same time?

JungleTrekFan

Not that its a fair comparison.....but how long should it realistically take to change over the films?
How long did Universal take something like Spiderman to upgrade, or something more similar?
Presumably they will be going 4k and digital at the same time?
Idk if spiderman is an accurate comparison, they kept the same exact scenes and didn’t have to reprogram the ride vehicles. Just new projectors i believe.

Star Tours refurb, which changed scenes and programed movements, was from September 2010 to May 2011. So eight months. Both Star Tours and Soarin’ are about the same length, 5 mins. Programing is definitely more subtle and their are less theaters to reprogram for Soarin’ but the system itself seems more complex. If they decide to only do one movie and not have multiple possibilities i would say expect no longer than an 8 months refurb once the film is done being shot and cut.

NoChesterHester

I feel pretty confident that Disney isn't going to miss the opportunity to re-release the original trilogy in their initial form. They know it would be an easy moneymaker.

According to Lucasfilm the original doesn't exist. The restored negatives are of the special edition.

If you believe that sort of thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom