1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Fantasmic! - Live Stream, Videos, Reviews, Reactions

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by TP2000, Jul 15, 2017.

1. SuddenStorm

SuddenStorm Well-Known Member

The two biggest things I'm not sold on are the Gospel vocals for the princess medley, and the Pirates segment. If they were to tone down the vocals, revert back to Pan, and smooth some of the transitions it'd be a home run. Some of the changes are improvements over the original, but they're dragged down by all of the unnecessary changes that aren't improvements, and dno't work well with the show.

2. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member Original Poster

Agreed that it's a worthy 2017 update.

Disneyland's Fantasmic! got a big series of tech upgrades back in 2008 and 2009 that brought new lighting, a digital projection system to replace the 70mm film projectors, and new audio and stagecraft. But it was still the original 1992 show, just with new tech behind it.

This is something entirely different, by reworking nearly the entire show, adding new characters and scenes and plot twists. It all seems to be very successful, and I appreciate that they showed restraint in limiting the Tokyo influence. I've seen the Tokyo show, and while some of it is lost in translation, it's not as successful or as enjoyable as the Disneyland original. It's apparent the American execs realized that and limited its influence on this new Anaheim version. Bravo!

Here's a good HD clip of the new Pirates scene. There does in fact appear to be some projection mapping going on with those skeleton guys.

I have half a mind to go down and try and catch the 10:30 or 11:30pm show tonight, just to see it in person.

3. TP2000

You would think. But Steve Davison only has six songs on his iTunes account and that's all he can use.

4. Jedi14

Jedi14 Member

In the pirates scene is the woman supposed to be Elizabeth?

5. SuddenStorm

I think it's the new girl from Dead Men Tell no Tales, it didn't sound like Kiera Knightly at all

6. TP2000

Yes, I think? I only saw the first movie 15 years ago. Is she the heroine in all the movies?

7. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Only the first three.

8. mickeyfan5534

mickeyfan5534 Well-Known Member

If it is, it's some very, very, very poor writing. Even in the first movie she could save herself.

9. SuddenStorm

Dusty on Micechat wrote a review.

http://micechat.com/166595-new-fantasmic-debuts-disneyland/

His final thoughts are

"This one is still sinking in. Not quite sure yet how much of my uneasy feelings about this show are just my discomfort with the changes and music or that perhaps they’ve chopped the show up in ways that make some of the transitions feel forced. I didn’t leave this show with that heartfelt emotional feeling that it’s always given me in the past. It LOOKS beautiful, the special effects are neat, but there were a lot of net losses for me that weren’t replaced with something better than before. I miss the Evil Queen, the Pinocchio sequence, and the Tick Tock float. I’m baffled that they didn’t try to fix the Urusla scene. Remember the old Ursula barge from the early years of the show? Or the replacement electric eels? there’s nothing there now but more mist screen projections. I suppose that my biggest gripe is that the show, which is still HIGHLY entertaining, feels like a step toward the fountains and projections of World of Color, when it would have been better served with more of the stagecraft magic of the original Fantasmic. The old show had one magical and surprising reveal after another. This version relied too heavily on projections.

In the end, I still enjoyed myself. I left conflicted, but entertained. Had I never seen the old version of the show, I’d have loved this one. Which is the same exact feeling I get when I see the inferior Orlando version. Disneyland’s Fantasmic was always better. Still is. But a bit of the magic has worn off for me. I’m curious how you feel."

10. The_Bellringer

The_Bellringer Active Member

I disagree. There are still plenty of surprises, and in my opinion the advanced projections make the scenes even more seamless, like when Mickey gets sucked into the mirror on the mist screen from atop the cabin.

Also, Micechat boards are literally THE WORST. Those people hate life, I swear lol.

11. TP2000

This opinion is the epitome of someone who spends every weekend at the park and has seen Fantasmic! probably hundreds of times in the last 25 years. Disney, or anyone really, could never satisfy this person because the past is always so romanticized and sanitized in their memories.

And Disney shouldn't worry too much about satisfying this type of person, because they'll be at the park again next weekend anyway.

That said, coming from someone like that, this B+ review is the equivalent of wild applause.

Kman101, yookeroo, sponono88 and 6 others like this.
  12. TP2000

That couldn't be further from the truth. Not sure where you get that from what we saw last night. o_O

Here's another very good HD video, from center stage of the 9pm show. Although really, all the D23 superfans screaming and woohooing are a bit much. Can't wait to see this show with a nice, normal audience of appreciative tourists!

disneyadventurer and phruby like this.
  13. SpectroMan93

SpectroMan93 Well-Known Member

I wonder how the Florida fans felt after seeing that incredible spectacle. Must make it even more depressing than before to have to go back to our version in Orlando lol. As amazing as that was, I just can't help but feel greater embarrassment now for the state of Fantasmic on the east coast. How can TDO know what Disneyland's Fantasmic exists at not even bat an eye towards renovating ours?

brb1006 and disneyadventurer like this.
  14. raven24

raven24 Well-Known Member

That person has a weird issue about Disneyland and Disneyland-goers. I'm sure it's some form of infatuation, I wouldn't take anything they said too seriously.

TP2000 likes this.
  15. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Hey they get to lose the Epcot war memorial in front of that park. They get two new clones, lose Ellen to a raccoon and get a space restaurant. What more do they want?

brb1006 and TP2000 like this.
  16. TP2000

Now darnit, I picked some limes off the tree today and was going to make fresh guacamole and some nachos tonight and settle in to try and catch up on all the WDW announcements from D23. Is that really the summary?

Curious Constance likes this.
  17. Curious Constance

Curious Constance Well-Known Member

You are too much lol

TP2000 likes this.
  18. GiveMeTheMusic

GiveMeTheMusic Well-Known Member

There's actually quite a bit more than that, and they still have more to announce as we get closer to WDW's 50th. It's really Disney Decade levels of WDW investment, it's just not particularly interesting investment that fans are excited for.

Kman101, yookeroo and brb1006 like this.
  19. GrandCanyonConcourse

GrandCanyonConcourse Well-Known Member

TP2000 likes this.
  20. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

I have to admit I smiled when I heard Mickey giggling at the beginning act.

thealmightyvance likes this.