New Fantasmic! - Live Stream, Videos, Reviews, Reactions

Professortango1

I wish they would have skipped old stuff like the Little Mermaid, Aladdin and the Lion King in favor of more modern stuff. Those movies came out in the early 90's and have been represented in every parade, water and fireworks show for the last twenty seven years. Where is Zootopia, Wreak it Ralph, Moana, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Princess and the Frog? At least Tangled got represented.

Wreak it Ralph, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia aren't household names like Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast are. They are great movies, but they are not iconic. I'm good with no Moana, but I think it could fit in nicely with a new World of Color seeing as the music is the most memorable thing from the film, not visuals.

Phroobar

Wreak it Ralph, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia aren't household names like Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast are. They are great movies, but they are not iconic. I'm good with no Moana, but I think it could fit in nicely with a new World of Color seeing as the music is the most memorable thing from the film, not visuals.
The reason they are iconic is because they've been marketed constantly with parades, shows and floats for 28 years not because they are amazing movies. Why not market movies the last two generations saw in theater instead?

Don't get me wrong. The Little Mermaid was a good movie considering the junk Disney gave us in the 70's & 80's but does it really need almost 30 years of marketing? Move on Disney!

Professortango1

The reason they are iconic is because they've been marketed constantly with parades, shows and floats for 28 years not because they are amazing movies. Why not market movies the last two generations saw in theater instead?

Don't get me wrong. The Little Mermaid was a good movie considering the junk Disney gave us in the 70's & 80's but does it really need almost 30 years of marketing? Move on Disney!

They are just very different types of stories and characters. Certain types of films/characters tie into the Disney legacy which they created since the 30's. These are typically Fairy Tale films/characters. The more contemporary stories often feature characters who are more subtle and nuanced versus the broad fairy tale characters from their golden age. If I say Aladdin, people know who he is. If I say Nick or Nick Wilde, people don't think of a smarmy fox. Disney still uses Snow White, Cinderella, and Aurora who have been around for even longer. Meanwhile, other films with less iconic characters (Rescuers, Fox and the Hound, 101 Dalmatians, Aristocats) are used much more sparingly.

Phroobar

They are just very different types of stories and characters. Certain types of films/characters tie into the Disney legacy which they created since the 30's. These are typically Fairy Tale films/characters. The more contemporary stories often feature characters who are more subtle and nuanced versus the broad fairy tale characters from their golden age. If I say Aladdin, people know who he is. If I say Nick or Nick Wilde, people don't think of a smarmy fox. Disney still uses Snow White, Cinderella, and Aurora who have been around for even longer. Meanwhile, other films with less iconic characters (Rescuers, Fox and the Hound, 101 Dalmatians, Aristocats) are used much more sparingly.
Mermaid and Aladdin are fairy tales and I agree with you on those. I don't see how the Lion King fits here.

Professortango1

Mermaid and Aladdin are fairy tales and I agree with you on those. I don't see how the Lion King fits here.

Lion King has the same sense of old-timey quality with kings and princes. The Lion King was also their biggest surprise hit. The thing exploded. Same reason Frozen got so much love. If audiences go nuts over a film, its immediately adopted into the synergy machine.

MTBaymax

Here's what I think.
1) Too much Mickey Mouse is NEVER wrong. The difference is, instead of him leading us on the journey, it seems literally we're on it together, both of us amazed at the powers his imagination can chalk up (hence, less choreographed hand waves, more "can I really do that?" reactions).
2) Pink Elephants on dubstep beats Pink Elephants on cheesy guitars. Makes it really more of an acid trip.
3) Robin Williams is still sorely missed.
4) Pirates drags. Terribly. Enough said.
5) Glad to see some cues from World of Color ("A Whole New World") and Winter Dreams ("I See the Light") found new meaning.
6) Since Snow White got bumped, it only makes some kind of sense that Mickey just happens upon the Magic Mirror instead of solely transitioning from Rapunzel to the Evil Queen, even at the expense of that gruesome transformation.
7) Bessie Sr., aka Murphy, still stands strong (I call our dragon for FoF Bessie for weird reasons).
8 ) Must be noted - animations feel less jarring, and not just clips here and there, pieced together. Definitely edited right this time, and I can get on board with Ursula's dialogue clipped.
9) The redone score feels more powerful and majestic, with a bit of modern here and there. And that final "Sorcerer's Apprentice" leitmotif with Mickey (what Tokyo's been doing for 6 years) works splendid.

Must go back to Disneyland.

SuddenStorm

This summary, in the comment section of the Micechat review, posted by Shaun, made my heart skip a beat.

"I saw Fantasmic at Disneyland for the first time yesterday, although I have seen Orlando's version several times. I think like Orlando's version has a much more consistent storyline, and it incorporates a lot more physical sets and characters in their performance. I wasn't a fan that I could see the dragon rising out of the floor and the heavy use of water projections. It felt like it was missing something, and I'm not really sure why people thinking Orlando's Fantasmic is "inferior." I realize it hasn't been updated in a while, but if these updates are what to expect..."

Californian Elitist

This summary, in the comment section of the Micechat review, posted by Shaun, made my heart skip a beat.

"I saw Fantasmic at Disneyland for the first time yesterday, although I have seen Orlando's version several times. I think like Orlando's version has a much more consistent storyline, and it incorporates a lot more physical sets and characters in their performance. I wasn't a fan that I could see the dragon rising out of the floor and the heavy use of water projections. It felt like it was missing something, and I'm not really sure why people thinking Orlando's Fantasmic is "inferior." I realize it hasn't been updated in a while, but if these updates are what to expect..."

While Disneyland's Fantasmic! is generally considered to be the best version, of course not everyone is going to agree with that. There are people who consider Orlando's version to be better, before and after our updates. That's okay.

For the sake of your heart, breathe. :)

180º

Although I consider DL to have the superior Fantasmic! in many many ways, I've always been a softie for WDW's. I kinda like the Pocahontas sequence, and the way it transitions from action/ danger into the princess medley is lovely.

TP2000

Original Poster
My old bones enjoy sitting on a real bench in DHS's Shamu Stadium style Fantasmic! arena. And I can forgive the Pocohontas canoe scene and chalk it up to an understandable late 1990's decision influenced by the lack of a Sailing Ship Columbia to use.

But then this part just makes me laugh every darn time I've seen it. I just laugh and laugh. And chuckle all the way out to the gate.

Nland316

I will admit, I'm a sucker for the Colors of the Wind transition into the princess medley over at DHS.

I really do think that necessary tinkering of the new show will happen during it's off season in February. Simple changes like pyro and lighting cues should be altered a bit in that refurb time. I'm really interested to see if they would even attempt to revert back to Peter Pan during that time, or anytime in the future for that matter. It honestly seems like a more simple change that I had originally anticipated; since the stunts seem to be exactly the same, and the crocodile is still intact. All I really have been hearing is negativity about that scene from those I've asked who have seen the show.

brb1006

My old bones enjoy sitting on a real bench in DHS's Shamu Stadium style Fantasmic! arena. And I can forgive the Pocohontas canoe scene and chalk it up to an understandable late 1990's decision influenced by the lack of a Sailing Ship Columbia to use.

But then this part just makes me laugh every darn time I've seen it. I just laugh and laugh. And chuckle all the way out to the gate.

And the Maleficent Dragon
Fantasmic-Mickey-Dragon.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

Before Murphy wasn't ours just a head on a stick with plastic bags hanging from it too?

Yeah, but ours blended in better and looked more realistic against the dark TSI backdrop. And we've had Murphy for seven years now. There's a whole generation of DLR guests who have never seen Fantasmic with the old dragon.

And WDW keeps chugging along with their sadsack 1998 show with zero updates or technological improvements

JoFu

Yeah, but ours blended in better and looked more realistic against the dark TSI backdrop. And we've had Murphy for seven years now. There's a whole generation of DLR guests who have never seen Fantasmic with the old dragon.

And WDW keeps chugging along with their sadsack 1998 show with zero updates or technological improvements
It has definitely so long that I don't remember it even though I've been seeing the show since its first year. For me Disney nighttime spectacles are about a feeling the evoke in me, the DHS F! doesn't do that regardless of the low quality of the show. I was actually excited the first time I saw it because I knew it had more/different scenes...I was let down.

GiveMeTheMusic

It has definitely so long that I don't remember it even though I've been seeing the show since its first year. For me Disney nighttime spectacles are about a feeling the evoke in me, the DHS F! doesn't do that regardless of the low quality of the show. I was actually excited the first time I saw it because I knew it had more/different scenes...I was let down.

WDW's Fantasmic is the epitome of modern WDW. Big, soulless and beloved by millions of midwestern moms.

brb1006

And the only update was adding Frozen scenes during the bubble section.

Californian Elitist

How is it that the DHS version has gone so long without ANY technological updates?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom