New Facebook page image bye hat

G00fyDad

This is a really good point - park icons cannot be off to one side of the park; they always need to be right in the center.

Like Spaceship Earth. :rolleyes:

So move the tower and let the theater come back as the park icon, or move the hat and put the tower closer to the middle of the park. That is if anyone can conclusively say where the middle of that mess really is.

disneysince71

I am sorry.. I love the Hat... Hated the original water tower... Love the hat... TOT is a ride not an icon.. and not everyone loves the TOT. I remember when my daughter was younger she hated it. :(

George Lucas on a Bench

Tower of Terror is not a traditional focal point of the park like the other weenies, but more guests gravitate towards and recognize it than Great Movie Ride's Chinese theater or the God awful industrial hat structure plopped in front of it. The water tower is tough to even see unless you sit through the torturous Backlot Tour and the Hollywood reference probably goes over a lot of guests' heads. This is what marketing thinks about. Tower of Terror sort of makes sense.

pumpkin7

Personally, I'd like to see the Earful Tower come back as the park icon, however the other 3 parks have an icon that sits directly in the centre of the park. Since there isn't really anything in the centre of DHS, I vote Gertie the Dinosaur becomes the new icon!

Or they'll just build something to replace the hat. I wonder what though.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Personally, I'd like to see the Earful Tower come back as the park icon, however the other 3 parks have an icon that sits directly in the centre of the park. Since there isn't really anything in the centre of DHS, I vote Gertie the Dinosaur becomes the new icon!

Or they'll just build something to replace the hat. I wonder what though.

Better question for 74 or Martin. They may have some insight if any future proposals have plans to address this.

Although DCA has Grizzly Mountain as the park icon and that isn't in the center.

G00fyDad

Tower of Terror is not a traditional focal point of the park like the other weenies, but more guests gravitate towards and recognize it than Great Movie Ride's Chinese theater or the God awful industrial hat structure plopped in front of it. The water tower is tough to even see unless you sit through the torturous Backlot Tour and the Hollywood reference probably goes over a lot of guests' heads. This is what marketing thinks about. Tower of Terror sort of makes sense.

So they should move the tower. :)

DCA has Grizzly Mountain as the park icon and that isn't in the center.
Grizzly Peak isn't the icon of Disney California Adventure, the Carthay Circle Theater is.

The two parks are suffering similar identity crises. DCA has many weenies that can be seen and used as icons (Carthay Circle Theater, Grizzly Peak, Tower of Terror, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Cadillac Range, etc.), but they chose the Carthay Circle Theater because it is most center and has importance to Walt Disney. At DHS, there's many things that can be used as the icon (the Sorcerer's Hat, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, the Earful Tower, Tower of Terror, etc.). They need to choose one overarching theme for the whole park and use an icon that goes with it. If we're sticking with the studios theme, let's bring back the Earful Tower. If the park's heading in a new direction where this is the park where Disney movie magic lives or something along those lines, let's stick with the hat.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Grizzly Peak isn't the icon of Disney California Adventure, the Carthay Circle Theater is.

The two parks are suffering similar identity crises. DCA has many weenies that can be seen and used as icons (Carthay Circle Theater, Grizzly Peak, Tower of Terror, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Cadillac Range, etc.), but they chose the Carthay Circle Theater because it is most center and has importance to Walt Disney. At DHS, there's many things that can be used as the icon (the Sorcerer's Hat, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, the Earful Tower, Tower of Terror, etc.). They need to choose one overarching theme for the whole park and use an icon that goes with it. If we're sticking with the studios theme, let's bring back the Earful Tower. If the park's heading in a new direction where this is the park where Disney movie magic lives or something along those lines, let's stick with the hat.

I guess I went off memory... I haven't seen any real merch showing a solid icon. Nothing that says this is the park. I guess marketing needs to step up and decide.

JustInTime

Grizzly Peak was DCA's original icon. It was in it's logo, I thought?

the.dreamfinder

Grizzly Peak was DCA's original icon. It was in it's logo, I thought?
yup
DCA_logo_1.jpg

I always thought DCA's original icon was the sunburst. That's why there was that giant fountain that everyone called the hubcap in the middle of Sunshine Plaza and there was the sun all over Paradise Pier. There's even the sun's rays behind Grizzly Peak in that logo. I think DHS now is facing many of the same problems the old DCA did and that's my main point. DHS needs it's own revival plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom