New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

TROR

You wouldn't need so many parking spaces if it wasn't for APs. Time to execute Order 66 on any AP less than $1000 a year.

Execute those as well. I appreciate the idea of an Annual Pass allowing locals to come and visit numerous times in a year, but instead it's people coming by and stopping for a couple of hours once a week and just clog up the park.

Phroobar

You wouldn't need so many parking spaces if it wasn't for APs. Time to execute Order 66 on any AP less than $1000 a year.
wAfIpV8.jpg

Ismael Flores

For me staying on Harbor is all about location. It's just as close or closer than most of the DL hotels but at a fraction of the cost.

We always take mid day breaks at the hotel to swim. So I want something close.

We pretty much exclusively eat at the parks or DTD, aside from maybe one trip to McDonalds and Mimi's per trip. The money I save on the hotel allows us to splurge with nicer, most expensive meals.

That makes sense but I really don't think the hotel owners are very concerned about convenience for the guests as much as they are worried about loosing revenue for those patrons that do step out of resort to go use the small restaurants that they have on hotel properties.
Unless A guest Is staying directly across the crosswalk there is still walking involved.
The additional waking created by this bridge is the depth of the demolished hotel property. If they add entrances at back of all hotels people can cut in directly into their room property.

I know some say that the extra walk of the bridge adds to the walk but that is only if the hotel room is close to the hotel entrance off harbor. That is a small percentage of guests. The majority of guests have to walk past the eateries and go deep into the hotel properties already therefor waking the same depth distance as what the bridge adds.

I really think that there has to be an understanding between everyone and see that at the end the negative cause and effect is minimal.
I bet that no one on the hotel side has done studies and see how much additional walking is really added if they were to work with Disney and create back entrances to hotels.

Curious Constance

That makes sense but I really don't think the hotel owners are very concerned about convenience for the guests as much as they are worried about loosing revenue for those patrons that do step out of resort to go use the small restaurants that they have on hotel properties.
Unless A guest Is staying directly across the crosswalk there is still walking involved.
The additional waking created by this bridge is the depth of the demolished hotel property. If they add entrances at back of all hotels people can cut in directly into their room property.

I know some say that the extra walk of the bridge adds to the walk but that is only if the hotel room is close to the hotel entrance off harbor. That is a small percentage of guests. The majority of guests have to walk past the eateries and go deep into the hotel properties already therefor waking the same depth distance as what the bridge adds.

I really think that there has to be an understanding between everyone and see that at the end the negative cause and effect is minimal.
I bet that no one on the hotel side has done studies and see how much additional walking is really added if they were to work with Disney and create back entrances to hotels.

That all makes sense. We're almost always at the back end of the property. If they had built the bridge, would the bridge let out right at the end of the Harbor hotel properties, or further back?

NobodyElse

That all makes sense. We're almost always at the back end of the property. If they had built the bridge, would the bridge let out right at the end of the Harbor hotel properties, or further back?

Most of he drawings seem to show the bridge reaching "street level" before or at the rear edge of the hotel properties. Security check (arguably the real target) would be a little to the south or east, depending on which station is picked.

SSG

Just my take (and I'm usually wrong) but I don't believe for a second that Anaheim is concerned about IHOP or Mickey D's losing business or that the Harbor hotel guests are inconvenienced. That is a smokescreen. What Tait and his junta are PO'd about is the last council giving Disney a pass on a gate tax and allowing Disney to claim a refund for the majority of the hotel tax at their future hotel. In Tait's view, this is 100's of millions in tax revenue that Anaheim won't get. It wouldn't surprise me at all if blocking the EGP is Tait's way of forcing hefty financial concessions from Disney.

Curious Constance

Just my take (and I'm usually wrong) but I don't believe for a second that Anaheim is concerned about IHOP or Mickey D's losing business or that the Harbor hotel guests are inconvenienced. That is a smokescreen. What Tait and his junta are PO'd about is the last council giving Disney a pass on a gate tax and allowing Disney to claim a refund for the majority of the hotel tax at their future hotel. In Tait's view, this is 100's of millions in tax revenue that Anaheim won't get. It wouldn't surprise me at all if blocking the EGP is Tait's way of forcing hefty financial concessions from Disney.

Are you telling me he doesn't give a rat's behind about the little Anaheim children?!?!?!!?!?

Curious Constance

And at the same time he gets to look like he's sticking it to be big man all because he truly cares about the little guys and the sweet, angelic children of the area.

:rolleyes:

lazyboy97o

Access behind the hotels means moving people away from Harbor Blvd. That’s bad for the businesses along Harbor Blvd and the urban design of the Resort District.

Disney was deceitful regarding the garage and is now stuck with a less willing council. Instead of playing off a nearly 30 year old plan for a garage as a concession, Disney could have made the Eastern Gateway a show of good faith and sought the zoning and encroachment approvals under a more amenable council.

Ismael Flores

Access behind the hotels means moving people away from Harbor Blvd. That’s bad for the businesses along Harbor Blvd and the urban design of the Resort District.

Disney was deceitful regarding the garage and is now stuck with a less willing council. Instead of playing off a nearly 30 year old plan for a garage as a concession, Disney could have made the Eastern Gateway a show of good faith and sought the zoning and encroachment approvals under a more amenable council.

But Wouldn't all those business still have the acces of guests staying in al those hotels. It wouldn't affect that foot traffic at all.
The majority of Guests coming from south of Disney way Have plenty of dining options south of Disney way and is usually their first choice. Not only that but most if not all of the hotels south of Disney way offer breakfast.
Seems like the handful of business along harbor get clientele from guests alreadyvstaying in those hotels with the next biggest clientele is guests leaving the parks for lunch to those establishments.

I also don't understand how they were deceitful in regards to the parking structure. No corporation is required to discuss design plans until they are ready to ask for permits and review. They never hid the fact that a parking structure would be built and they also never hid the fact that they were in talks to buy the hotel to build a bridge.
The fact that new city council and mayor came in board at the end of the planning and approval stage and are clueless about some of the previous deals is the councils fault.
The only thing they are at fault is maybe not discussing the closure of eastern traffic with hotel owners just as a good neighbor act. As long as the design follow certain resort rules and regulations though they were not require to do so. Just like Disney has little say in the design of any hotel renovation that those owners do unless they don't follow resort rules. Not until plans are presented and Disney shows their concerns.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Just my take (and I'm usually wrong) but I don't believe for a second that Anaheim is concerned about IHOP or Mickey D's losing business or that the Harbor hotel guests are inconvenienced.

In fairness though the Harbor Merchants Association expressed several valid concerns at the final public hearing, which sent Disney back to the drawing boards, and here we are. It appears there was very little (if any) opposition to the Eastern Gateway project itself - it was the routing of foot traffic away from Harbor businesses and across a rather uninspired bridge that had local businesses and the City angry and scratching their heads. The ball is in Disney's court to come up with a strategy that works for it and the local community.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if a revised plan was quietly being brokered behind the scenes between Disney and those businesses as I type this.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/01/2...o-oppose-disneylands-eastern-gateway-project/

From the article:

Disney officials said they are working with the neighboring businesses and plan to alter the design of the development before going to the Planning Commission to create entryways behind properties and other paths to the gateway. They’ve also suggested some businesses could create paths and access points.

Also this: https://www.saynotodisney.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

But Wouldn't all those business still have the acces of guests staying in al those hotels. It wouldn't affect that foot traffic at all.
The majority of Guests coming from south of Disney way Have plenty of dining options south of Disney way and is usually their first choice. Not only that but most if not all of the hotels south of Disney way offer breakfast.
Seems like the handful of business along harbor get clientele from guests alreadyvstaying in those hotels with the next biggest clientele is guests leaving the parks for lunch to those establishments.
Moving people behind the businesses is how access is lost. These types of businesses are built along frontages because that is key to how they operate. Pedestrians don’t move in weird circuitous paths and the hotel guests aren’t going to want throngs of people just passing through.

I also don't understand how they were deceitful in regards to the parking structure. No corporation is required to discuss design plans until they are ready to ask for permits and review. They never hid the fact that a parking structure would be built and they also never hid the fact that they were in talks to buy the hotel to build a bridge.
The fact that new city council and mayor came in board at the end of the planning and approval stage and are clueless about some of the previous deals is the councils fault.
The only thing they are at fault is maybe not discussing the closure of eastern traffic with hotel owners just as a good neighbor act. As long as the design follow certain resort rules and regulations though they were not require to do so. Just like Disney has little say in the design of any hotel renovation that those owners do unless they don't follow resort rules. Not until plans are presented and Disney shows their concerns.
Disney was decietful by pretending as though the Eastern Gateway was a concession, something extra they would be doing to help the city in exchange for the tax agreement.

When a private entity is seeking changes to the public realm for their benefit, especially something major like an encroachment, then yes they are required to discuss such plans with that public. Disney’s obliviousness and arrogance to this is exactly how the project died. The Eastern Gateway should have been workshopped with the local businesses long before it was ever sent to the City.

Last edited:

DLR92

Moving people behind the businesses is how access is lost. These types of businesses are built along frontages because that is key to how they operate. Pedestrians don’t move in weird circuitous paths and the hotel guests aren’t going to want throngs of people just passing through.

Disney was decietful by pretending as though the Eastern Gateway was a concession, something extra they would be doing to help the city in exchange for the tax agreement.

When a private entity is seeking changes to the public realm for their benefit, especially something major like an encroachment, then yes they are required to discuss such plans with that public. Disney’s obliviousness and arrogance to this is exactly how the project died. The Eastern Gateway should have been workshopped with the local businesses long before it was ever sent to the City.

Thumps up! Even as a tourist, I thought the bridge was very ugly, didn't felt having a one way to get in and out of the east side under Disney proposal wasn't convenient . What If I want to have a closest walk trek to eat somewhere cheap on the east side?

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Thumps up! Even as a tourist, I thought the bridge was very ugly, didn't felt having a one way to get in and out of the east side under Disney proposal wasn't convenient . What If I want to have a closest walk trek to eat somewhere cheap on the east side?
Disney may have been purposely making it more difficult for you to do so, thereby making it that much more likely for you to bite the bullet and choose a Disney hotel.

DLR92

^
Disney would and will never love me then. I don't give too much of my hard earn money to Disney. :joyfull:
I look at the parks a main draw, everything else that Disney provides isn't that attaractive. I am not sure if I would want to spend a 400 dollar room for a basic room of their "four star" hotels, the ammenities doesn't attract me to spend either. Or not even book in over priced PPH.

TROR

Without the eastern gateway, and 455 new parking spots not being nearly enough for Galaxy's Edge, will Disney delay plans for a Marvel land in DCA?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom