New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

mickEblu

I think once the tram road is themed and maybe a few small vending booths added, the walk would seem more manageable. Walking long distances on a sidewalk with nothing to see and do does seem to make things more undesirable and feel long.

Yea maybe in the morning on fresh feet but on the way back after a long day it's brutal.

Ismael Flores

Tlhey essentially got what they wanted - no bridge over Harbor, and continued easy pedestrian access to/from DLR and their businesses. The spokesperson from the local business association representing the merchandts has gone on record to say they are pleased with Disney's decision. I'm thinking they're pretty happy with this outcome.
Im hoping Disney goes with the plan of closing off the transportation drop off on Harbor. Rerouted the monorailand move the existing pathway to somewhere where they had planned on moving to the area by the proposed bridge ramp.

Then they could go ahead with Marvel and be ready for whenever they go ahead with eastern changes.
Maybe start giving these business a reason to start worrying

Ismael Flores

I'm currently a design reviewer for the ADA office of one of the country's largest transit agencies, and I disagree. I tend to work mostly with infrastructure, and this is more of an operational issue, but from what I've seen it would put Disney is a very risky legal position...and we all know how much Disney's legal team likes avoiding those.
  • Modifications to existing facilities cannot make them less accessible. If a building has a ramp leading somewhere, that ramp cannot be removed without providing access to that same area (like a platform lift or elevator). Disney currently provides shuttles from their remote parking facility to the parks; they would have an extraordinarily difficult time removing that, even if the trams for able-bodied guests were also taken out of service. Because the distance is so far (about a half-mile on the tram route, at least 2/3mi through DTD), it's hard to see how this would not be making the parks less accessible.
  • Accessible parking spaces must be located in the part of the parking area that is closest to the facility that they serve. At a grocery store, that means near the front entrance; at the existing parking structure, that means near the elevators on each level. However, one could make the argument that the Mickey & Friends parking structure is not the closest parking to the parks; hotel and DTD parking are closer, as are the bus stops and drop-off lot on the east side. This is a murky argument that would be tough to enforce, but it's a unique circumstance (different from a campus, where there is no one "main" facility served by multiple parking locations) and I think it could be argued convincingly
  • That pesky "reasonable accommodation" clause. It's tough to define exactly what must be done to meet it, but I think it's "reasonable" that a location charging $20+ to park more than a half-mile from their facility would need to provide some sort of transportation service to the facility entrance. Relocating wheelchair rentals (or even letting guests borrow them for free to get to the main entrance) would not meet this; forcing people who don't routinely use mobility devices to use them wouldn't pass muster
I also can't see them doing a whole lot to spruce up the existing tram path to make it a pedestrian route. I don't remember the specifics on the Eastern Gateway walkway, but I think it was about 30-50' wide. The existing tram path is about 30' wide with narrow landscaped buffers on either side, hemmed in by Disneyland Drive and backstage facilities. In order to accommodate the massive pedestrian volumes, they would likely need to keep the width the same (or expand it), which doesn't leave much room for a meaningful DTD expansion there. They could add some ODV and other kiosks, but there isn't space for meaningful retail, dining, or convenience facilities in that area. The main route will likely go through DTD, which will need some modifications to meet the increased traffic

I agree that the trams will most likely be removed as part of this project, but I can't see how they could also get rid of the accessible shuttles. And if those shuttles remain, it's likely that people will try to "cheat" the system just like they do with the disabled passes in the parks, leading to poor service for the people who truly need them. I struggle to see Disney building a real transportation system here, but there really aren't many other good options.

They can probably make room to widen the tram route by not only modifying the landscaping which is quite wide. There is also plenty of wasted space within Disneyland boundaries in along the tram route. Small commercial structure can easily be added using parts of The landscape and fencing area. I don’t think they would do it though because some of the articles state that the new hotel will have retail and dining on the bottom floor. So any new walkway on the tram would most likely have small structures on what is now landscape land to break the long dull feelof a long stretch of walkway.

Also Disney could still offer ADA shuttles but they can easily have them not use the existing tram route. Instead they could reroute them to just drop closer to the DTD area thru other existing car lanes. It would be nice if they brought back the double decker buses back too

Ismael Flores

Hmmm.

Received BLD2017-04866 WALT DISNEY WORLD CO 1415 S DISNEYLAND DR SP4 Disneyland - Pinocchio SP-4 Parking Lot - Demolition: 704 s.ft existing tram refueling station (B occupancy), parking lot pole lights, cap utilities.

Funny they just built that,

I was really hoping that the new parking structure addition was going to be built just like the original 1990’s resort plan. At that time they had the parking structure goingnorth to South at the back of the property. This would have left the property area closer east for future hotel or other development with the parking structure hidden behind it.

Would be nice if we could see how much of Pinocchio lot will be used for this addition.

Also how much land will be left for large vehicles like all the buses for grad nights and large motor homes.

Old Mouseketeer

While you could be right, I don't claim to have any inside information, I think you miss an important point. Plans change all the time, what could have not happened previously is now in the realm of possibility. Just because those that you talked to previously don't believe something will happen doesn't mean it isn't possible.

So it is very possible they can move more of the backstage facilities just across the street to the Manchester property behind Carousel. Its not far and still within "the resort". For example why can't the staging warehouse be there? Or TDA themselves? For example why can't TDA take up the Immigration building when the lease is up? Or why can't they have the ride maintenance over there?

Point is now that they aren't using the Manchester property for the Eastern Transportation Hub, at least for now, they can use it for something else.

As for the fireworks, I have personal knowledge on this one. You can have shells that shoot just a bit higher that have less fall out. The local amusement park that I worked at did this. They had to because the location they shot off from had guests in front and left and right, and housing behind where they shot off the shells. So they had to get ones that went a bit higher. Disney chooses shells that only go a certain height because they want it to explode at a certain height over the castle. This can change, and will likely have to.

That's an interesting detail on fireworks. But were the shells you are referring to shot out of air cannons like Disneyland's, or were they conventional shells with a lift charge in addition to the display charge. Not trying to be argumentative here, but could Disney also have a larger fallout zone because on the legal front they are a bigger target and more risk-averse? I'm just speculating on that point.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's an interesting detail on fireworks. But were the shells you are referring to shot out of air cannons like Disneyland's, or were they conventional shells with a lift charge in addition to the display charge. Not trying to be argumentative here, but could Disney also have a larger fallout zone because on the legal front they are a bigger target and more risk-averse? I'm just speculating on that point.

These were the standard lift shell ones I believe, however they could have changed by now. The park has new owners since when I worked there in the 90s. Which makes this even more so something that Disney could do as they control every aspect of it. This is because as I understand it they can launch the shells higher with the compressed air and explode them at a specific time that is computer controlled. Also is it just me but didn't DLs firework shows used to go higher anyways prior to the 90s/00s?

As for the legal aspect, I don't know if Disney is a larger target in terms of fireworks fallout damages. But you would think if that were true they would do all they can to minimize the fallout as much as possible. Also I believe most recent attempts to sue Disney for fireworks fallout in the last decade have all been dismissed.

Darkbeer1

http://www.anaheimblog.net/2017/11/...-structure-to-west-side-of-disneyland-resort/

>>According to the company’s media materials, the new hotel will “transform the west end of the Downtown Disney District with a sophisticated design creating a one-of-a-kind environment” and also create “a new and connected Resort Hotel Area with lushly landscaped walkways linking the new hotel, the Disneyland Hotel, Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel and Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa and create a welcoming entry for visitors walking from the Anaheim Convention Center.”<<

>>For example, according to Disney media materials, these improvements will “reroute vehicles exiting the new parking structure and Downtown Disney to the former tram route situated on Disney’s property, to allow for I-5 access in a way that minimizes traffic on city streets on busy days.”

The improvements also promise to reduce or eliminate back up on city streets by:

• Boost the ability to stack cars by more than 60% in the ground-level entry lanes before the parking kiosks
  • Doubles parking kiosk capacity by providing more entrances and lanes to handle increased attendance and loading
  • Adding more staffing per parking kiosk to speed up loading of cars. <<

Disney Irish

Premium Member
http://www.anaheimblog.net/2017/11/...-structure-to-west-side-of-disneyland-resort/

>>According to the company’s media materials, the new hotel will “transform the west end of the Downtown Disney District with a sophisticated design creating a one-of-a-kind environment” and also create “a new and connected Resort Hotel Area with lushly landscaped walkways linking the new hotel, the Disneyland Hotel, Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel and Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa and create a welcoming entry for visitors walking from the Anaheim Convention Center.”<<

>>For example, according to Disney media materials, these improvements will “reroute vehicles exiting the new parking structure and Downtown Disney to the former tram route situated on Disney’s property, to allow for I-5 access in a way that minimizes traffic on city streets on busy days.”

The improvements also promise to reduce or eliminate back up on city streets by:

• Boost the ability to stack cars by more than 60% in the ground-level entry lanes before the parking kiosks
  • Doubles parking kiosk capacity by providing more entrances and lanes to handle increased attendance and loading
  • Adding more staffing per parking kiosk to speed up loading of cars. <<

"...these improvements will “reroute vehicles exiting the new parking structure and Downtown Disney to the former tram route situated on Disney’s property..."

I guess this does indicate the trams are either being completely redone or will go away completely.

Macro

"...these improvements will “reroute vehicles exiting the new parking structure and Downtown Disney to the former tram route situated on Disney’s property..."

I believe what they're referring to is the road which is at the south end of the property - not the current tram route to Downtown Disney.
i-k3bgVwf.jpg

The idea being that you leave the new parking structure, drive south and then the old tram road takes you from the west side to the east side of the park bypassing a little bit of the surface streets.

I don't care how they try to spin it. Putting both parking structures on the west side sucks. I was wondering how they intended to handle people leaving both structures at the same time with no more exit lanes. Solution to problem: force people leaving the new parking structure south onto the surface streets.

Mickey and Friends: the parking structure you want. You can exit directly onto a freeway! New parking structure: the one you want to avoid. Unless you enjoy sitting at a series of glacially slow traffic lights.

Hey, here's an idea! Let's put the new parking structure on the east side near the pumbaa lot. That way each side of I-5 would have a directly accessible parking structure. It would split the traffic between both sides of the freeway and minimize usage of the surface streets! Traffic jams be gone! Hey! Where's that web site where you start an online petition?

Last edited:

SSG

So, these permits were filed...

BLD2019-01846(NAME ??) - Carousel Parking Lot - Site Development: Install (12) light poles, (1) 100 amp panel and 164 ln ft x 7 ft high fence with swing gate.
BLD2019-01842(NAME??) - USCIS Parking Lot - Site Development: Install (5) light poles, (4) EV chargers, (1) 2500 amp switchboard, (2) 200 amp panels and (2) 100 amp panels. Restripe parking lot.
BLD2019-01845(NAME ??) - Sybron Parking Lot - Site Development: Install (51) light poles, (8) EV chargers, (1) motorized gate arm, (2) card readers and 135 ln ft x 7 ft high fence with swing gate.

Mac Tonight

So, these permits were filed...

BLD2019-01846(NAME ??) - Carousel Parking Lot - Site Development: Install (12) light poles, (1) 100 amp panel and 164 ln ft x 7 ft high fence with swing gate.

BLD2019-01842(NAME??) - USCIS Parking Lot - Site Development: Install (5) light poles, (4) EV chargers, (1) 2500 amp switchboard, (2) 200 amp panels and (2) 100 amp panels. Restripe parking lot.
BLD2019-01845(NAME ??) - Sybron Parking Lot - Site Development: Install (51) light poles, (8) EV chargers, (1) motorized gate arm, (2) card readers and 135 ln ft x 7 ft high fence with swing gate.
Wrong parking lot thread!

Darkbeer1

Quick recap.

Last month, Disney announced publically that the Katella CM Lot will be converted to Guest Parking (Bullseye) and a Security Check(s) will be added to the overall Toy Story area. Permits were filed earlier to make the minor changes to switch over the lot.

Disney is desperately in need for parking, especially until Pixar Pals is fully open, and they get pass the summer season.

So Disney is temporarily converting every inch available of the Eastern Gateway project for CM parking. Only the bare minimum is being done. basically security lighting and ways to prevent guests from parking there (CM use only).

It is just a stop gap measure, but a very needed one. But Disney is already planning on using the Honda Center and Angel Stadium for CM parking this summer.

Last edited:

disneylandcm

Quick recap.

Last month, Disney announced publically that the Katella CM Lot will be converted to Guest Parking (Bullseye) and a Security Check(s) will be added to the overall. Permits were filed earlier to make the minor changes to switch over the lot.

Disney is desperately in need for parking, especially until Pixar Pals is fully open, and they get pass the summer season.

So Disney is temporarily converting every inch available of the Eastern Gateway project for CM parking. Only the bare minimum is being done. basically security lighting and ways to prevent guests from parking there (CM use only).

It is just a stop gap measure, but a very needed one. But Disney is already planning on using the Honda Center and Angel Stadium for CM parking this summer.

I was wondering where we were getting shunted to. The new MCML certainly won’t do the job. Thanks for answering that question.

Old Mouseketeer

I was wondering where we were getting shunted to. The new MCML certainly won’t do the job. Thanks for answering that question.

My Bothan spies tell me that CMs are being told:
1. Parking will be a moving target this summer and may change daily.
2. Check the CM parking page online before you leave for work every day.
3. Allow extra time for your commute due to possible extra traffic around the resort.

My guess is that they will use available parking dynamically. I have heard of additional parking and traffic CMs being present in CM lots to direct CM parking. They will be trying to utilize every parking spot they have. I suspect that in order to balance traffic they may divert more CMs through the Ball lot into levels of M&F to compensate for K-Lot once Pixar Pals is open.

Buckle your seat belts--it's gonna be a bumpy ride!!!

180º

Ball Lot will be used exclusively for GE CMs. GE will have its own costuming department behind Millenium Falcon, so CMs won’t be walking thru the rest of Disneyland in Batuu costumes.
I can definitely see SWGE cast members having Ball access but I don’t see Ball being closed to everyone but SWGE CMs. Ball and Daisy level can fit way more than just those who show up for Star Wars shifts at any given time. And I agree with @Old Mouseketeer , I think it’s at least possible that once Pixar Pals opens, one or two more levels of M&F may be opened to cast members on occasion.

Old Mouseketeer

Ball Lot will be used exclusively for GE CMs. GE will have its own costuming department behind Millenium Falcon, so CMs won’t be walking thru the rest of Disneyland in Batuu costumes.

Is that accurate re: Ball Lot? I have known west side CMs for a long time as well as other departments, including Entertainment. I have not heard of any notification that they are rescinding proxy access to Ball Lot for anyone. "Exclusively" is a very broad expression. Do you mean that CMs who work in Ball Lot facilities such as the Bakery, K-9 center, Emergency Response Center, Police substation, DL Security office, and Parking & Transportation can't park where they work? What about Entertainment, including union performers (who have VERY strong contracts)? I totally expect that GE CMs will have proxy. But wiping out everyone else? You could be right, but nobody I know has said anything about this.

As to costuming, we have known for a long time that GE costume issue would be in one of the two service buildings at the east end of GE. My rebel spies tell me that the CMs working the CM GE showcase in DCA Stage 12 have been seen wearing standard-issue smocks over their GE costumes moving back and forth from the location. My spies tell me they have seen racks of GE costumes being delivered to the new building. Also, I hear that the other new service building is being set up with a space for Entertainment Costuming. I'm hearing that rumors of mechanical alien character heads (like Mickey and King Louie at Magical Map) are not true. Disney has described a hairy figure being seen in and around the outside Millenium Falcon, so I think it's likely our fave Wookie could be present. I haven't heard of anything we haven't seen before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom