New Disney park in Shanghai in 2012

jrriddle

STR8FAN2005 said:
What a pity because it would work well there. Not sure how a European Castle would look.

I suppose we can dream all we want but lets face it Shanghi and India will both have little Sleeping Beauty Castle and the Minimum amount of attractions needed for an opening.
The Glory Days of Paris are long gone. :(

cherrynegra

jrriddle said:
I suppose we can dream all we want but lets face it Shanghi and India will both have little Sleeping Beauty Castle and the Minimum amount of attractions needed for an opening.
The Glory Days of Paris are long gone. :(

Yeah, I have to admit you're probably very right on the money. However, all rumors say the Shanghai park, if built, will be larger than HK. Maybe they'll get a larger castle than HK's.

As for an Aladdin castle in India, if built, I seriously doubt it. Tensions between Muslims and Hindus are quite low in India. And I don't think that Hindu nationalists will stand for anything that is remotely Muslim or Arabic in architecture. I believe it was last year that Hindu extremists burnt down an ancient mosque. I believe Disney will provide a controversy free park as much as possible.

jrriddle

Tahu said:
It's not being built for just making money, it's being built for making a load of money!
Well I didn't want to get all technical and start using financial words but yes...a ____*tload :lol:

jrriddle

cherrynegra said:
Yeah, I have to admit you're probably very right on the money. However, all rumors say the Shanghai park, if built, will be larger than HK. Maybe they'll get a larger castle than HK's.

I'm still not clear on the whole thing. Do they mean the actual park will be bigger or the whole resort, which would be odd considering "no hotels".
Wasn't there also talk of Disney Resorts with just shopping, restaurants, but no theme park? Kind of a Disney Mall? Perhaps they are combining HKDL with a large retail section.
Time will tell I suppose.

cherrynegra

jrriddle said:
I'm still not clear on the whole thing. Do they mean the actual park will be bigger or the whole resort, which would be odd considering "no hotels".
Wasn't there also talk of Disney Resorts with just shopping, restaurants, but no theme park? Kind of a Disney Mall? Perhaps they are combining HKDL with a large retail section.
Time will tell I suppose.

Wow. There's an interesting concept. A version of DTD with no park?? :eek: It will be interesting to see what the plans are IF there are any.

jrriddle

cherrynegra said:
Wow. There's an interesting concept. A version of DTD with no park?? :eek: It will be interesting to see what the plans are IF there are any.
Ya know it's not so crazy. It's been done in pieces. A Disney Store, a Chef Mickey's and a Disney Quest, a theatre, some other Disney friendly retailers all developed with a Disey hotel or a condo.
Of course all these concepts have failed so who knows...

(*drop me a line when you have time and get me up to speed :D)

7L-WDW

When i was over in DHK in Feb .. Most was reading up on Shangi and one or two where looking at property.
And it would not be hard to have a bigger castle.

stitchcastle

With the new management, and depending on the success of HKDL, The Shanghai park could be greatly different and a cut above HK. It wouldn't be hard to think that the Shanghai park could be the next Paris in terms of class and creaitivity.

I doubt that they wold build a castle that isn't European. Fantasyland and the whole concept of Disneyland itself is based upon that of "Fairy Tales", of elegant European princesses and castles. Having an Arabian palace for a "Magic Kingdom" icon would greatly confuse a lot of if not all the people.

CaptainMichael

stitchcastle said:
With the new management, and depending on the success of HKDL, The Shanghai park could be greatly different and a cut above HK. It wouldn't be hard to think that the Shanghai park could be the next Paris in terms of class and creaitivity.
Lets hope that we'll get a new castle design. All of the castles should be different, but it is too late in some cases. Cloning castles should be out of the question. If nothing else, the castle in each "Magic Kingdom"-style park should be unique to that park.

Connor002

money money money

i wonder if that word even crossed walt's mind...

if only, if only...

my imput- Asia is general makes money because of their sheer size, population density is off the charts over there, and disney is trying to tap into that flow of cash

and i'm slightly unsure, what is the story on oriental land co.?
i know they operate the parks over there, but is there a site where i can get specifics, i.e.- what the deal with disney is ect.

jrriddle

STR8FAN2005 said:
Lets hope that we'll get a new castle design. All of the castles should be different, but it is too late in some cases. Cloning castles should be out of the question. If nothing else, the castle in each "Magic Kingdom"-style park should be unique to that park.

I'm all for a new castle. I would even consider something on the lines of the Beast's Castle. But for continuity sake. HKDL has DLR's Castle. TDS has WDW's castle. SDL should get DLP's castle.

Useless Trivia: A Jules Verne inspired Observation Tower was considered instead of a castle at DLP.

Connor002

thats not usless trivia, this is- I had cinamon toast crunch cereal for breakfest:lol:

still waiting for info on Oriental Land Co.:lookaroun

my bigest problem: i don't want disney to get like McDonalds over there, i don't want the area covered with cr__py versions of disney

jrriddle

Here ya go:
"The final contract, signed in 1979 gave Disney 5% of the gross revenues on all food and merchandise and 10% of the gross on admissions, in exchange for a token $2.5 million investment in the park." - from Work in Progress by M.Eisner.

He goes on to say that Disney even supplies the manuals that they use to run the parks (attractions, guest services etc.) A good deal for Disney at the start, but Eisner thought that not entering a 50/50 partnership with the OLC was a HUGE mistake that the old management team had made. This is why he was determined to build DLPR without a partner.

Check out:
www.olc.co.jp
for more info.

CaptainMichael

jrriddle said:
Here ya go:
"The final contract, signed in 1979 gave Disney 5% of the gross revenues on all food and merchandise and 10% of the gross on admissions, in exchange for a token $2.5 million investment in the park." - from Work in Progress by M.Eisner.

He goes on to say that Disney even supplies the manuals that they use to run the parks (attractions, guest services etc.) A good deal for Disney at the start, but Eisner thought that not entering a 50/50 partnership with the OLC was a HUGE mistake that the old management team had made. This is why he was determined to build DLPR without a partner.

Check out:
www.olc.co.jp
for more info.
It seems that Disney should have asked for a higher percentage. 5% of revenues :eek:

jrriddle

STR8FAN2005 said:
It seems that Disney should have asked for a higher percentage. 5% of revenues :eek:

What's the old saying? Hindsight is 20/20?
I guess at the time it seemed like a pretty good deal.
Who would know the Japanese would be so Disney crazy (and they weren't at the start TDL almost broke the OLC. It wasn't until they made the park "more American" with english signs, food, etc)
The Black Hole was bombing at the box office.
EPCOT was draining funds like mad.
Tron and The Black Cauldron were eating up money in pre-production.
Card Walker wasn't the most adventurious CEO.
(If anyone reading this wants to corect my time line, feel free. I'm doing this off the top if my head)
They did (and do) make millions but missed out on many millions more.

Connor002

i think that really was a mistake

but everyone makes mistakes once in a while

is it possible (just a question of possibility, not probality) for disney to rework the deal and make it more in their favor? could they ever gain a 50% stake in the park?

jrriddle

Connor002 said:
i think that really was a mistake

but everyone makes mistakes once in a while

is it possible (just a question of possibility, not probality) for disney to rework the deal and make it more in their favor? could they ever gain a 50% stake in the park?
I'm not going to say never becuase who knows? But I highly doubt it.
Besides IMHO I would rather WDC not touch the Japanese parks. They are far superior to the WDC parks. The OLC knows how to spend money on an attraction to get it "just right".
In a perfect world, The OLC would buy the themepark division from WDC.

stitchcastle

jrriddle said:
I'm not going to say never becuase who knows? But I highly doubt it.
Besides IMHO I would rather WDC not touch the Japanese parks. They are far superior to the WDC parks. The OLC knows how to spend money on an attraction to get it "just right".
In a perfect world, The OLC would buy the themepark division from WDC.

I concur.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom