New Disney park in Shanghai in 2012

biggy H

Original Poster
I've just seen on another site that the Hong Kong Times is reporting that a new park will open in Shanghai in 2012. Construction is due to start in 2008.

Anybody else heard about this?

wcox377492

I've heard rumors and seen them on a number of boards, but they've been denied repeatedly. I really have to wonder if Disney is willing to start another park this soon. Hopefully they'll look to a 5th gate here in Orlando, or a 3rd in California before another park abroad

MagicalMonorail

wcox377492 said:
I've heard rumors and seen them on a number of boards, but they've been denied repeatedly. I really have to wonder if Disney is willing to start another park this soon. Hopefully they'll look to a 5th gate here in Orlando, or a 3rd in California before another park abroad

I doubt we will be seeing another domestic park for a while. All the official announcements have mentioned expanding the theme parks more on a world-wide basis.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
wcox377492 said:
Hopefully they'll look to a 5th gate here in Orlando, or a 3rd in California before another park abroad

I'd rather see money spent on upkeep and improvements of the existing parks before a 5th gate is opened.

DisneySaint

MagicalMonorail said:
I doubt we will be seeing another domestic park for a while. All the official announcements have mentioned expanding the theme parks more on a world-wide basis.

Agreed and...

unkadug said:
I'd rather see money spent on upkeep and improvements of the existing parks before a 5th gate is opened.

Agreed!

PuertoRekinSam

said before, said again

5th gate in Orlando is not happening anytime soon. Anyone down in this area can tell you, there is a huge hiring buzz going on, and that is only to keep the 4 gates running. 6 day work weeks with 12+ hours days are happening all over property. If Disney can't get the staffing required for 4 parks, where do you think a 5th park is going to get castmembers from?

Besides, the parks are not getting the attendance they need to justify a fifth gate. I am not saying it's not busy.... nor am I saying it is not as busy as it was 10 years ago when they anounced DAK. I'm just saying with DAK in play, as well as things like LMA to increase compasity, a 5th park is just not on the books at this time.

Things to look for if you think a 5th park is a good idea. The Magic Kingdom, and at least one of the other 3 parks closing to non resort guest on a consistant basis. The reopening of Time Keeper, WoL etc... to handle the guest flow.

Blizz

PuertoRekinSam said:
Things to look for if you think a 5th park is a good idea. The Magic Kingdom, and at least one of the other 3 parks closing to non resort guest on a consistant basis. The reopening of Time Keeper, WoL etc... to handle the guest flow.

You forgot hell freezing over! :lol:

marchofthecards

Hi,

People forget one thing, that these parks bring in revenue for Disney, with little and partial outlay at the start - look at Tokyo Disneyland which gets just as many guests as Walt Disney World. The Oriental Land Company own it all, operate it all, Disney lays back and reaps 10% of tickets and gets royalties. I believe Disney has a stake in Hong Kong but not the biggest share, but they will earn from the licensing etc...

It's business, but at the end of the day magic isn't listed on the balance sheet, it's a by product of it all coming together, and fortunately Disney do it so well.

The East Asia region is densely populated with very little entertainment enterprise to serve them all. It is not practical to expect all of Asia to be served by Tokyo Disneyland.

Tokyo is well maintained, clean, The Disney Sea park has received the award recently of best theme park in the world, the guests are also better well behaved, and the resorts are more respected. It's the perfect place to continue getting an audience.

Simes

DizneeFanatic

This is an article from 'China Knowledge'.Disney to Open Shanghai Theme Park in 2012

1 August 2005 (CHINA KNOWLEDGE PRESS)

Aug. 1, 2005 (Bloomberg) - Walt Disney Co. will open a theme park in Shanghai in 2012, the Hong Kong Economic Times said, without identifying the source of its information.

The company will start designing the park next year, the Chinese-language paper said. The construction will begin in 2008 and the park will open in 2012, the paper said.

Disney is close to finishing a $3.5 billion theme park in Hong Kong, which is scheduled to open in September this year. The Shanghai park will be built on a 500-hectare site in Pudong East, three times bigger than the one in Hong Kong, the paper said. No hotel is planned for Shanghai, it said.

A group of officials from Shanghai visited the Hong Kong site two weeks ago, the paper said. Staff in charge of the management of Hong Kong Disneyland will be relocated to Shanghai at the end of the year, it said. Designers transferred from the U.S. for the Hong Kong park are also moving to Shanghai, the report said.

jrriddle

I'm not sure what to make of all this.
3 times bigger than HKDL but no hotels????
That doesn't sound like Disney at all!
I am interested to see if this information is true.
I'm sure China will get a 2nd park, but the size and the no hotels are surprising. Unless it's a requirement from the government.

gardabble

It looks to me Shanghai opening is more of a wait and see how well does HKDL. If HKDL does start to overflow with visitors is what the HKSAR govt predicts, I expect Shanghai will be on the works.

cherrynegra

Well, the Orlando Sentinel and the Chicago Tribune have picked the story up, but I'd wait for official word or plans of the supposed new park to leak out before I'd believe it. Although Time seems to have an interview with Iger where he states a new park is among the many projects planned for China.

Wasn't Shanghai always mentioned as a possible site after HK?

From Orlando Sentinel
Disney sets sights on Shanghai

From Staff Reports
Published August 2, 2005, 11:22 AM CDT

Asian news reports say the Walt Disney Co. is planning to open a theme park in Shanghai in 2012.

The company would start designing the park next year, with construction set for 2008 and the opening scheduled for 2012, according to China Daily, which was quoting a report in the Hong Kong Economic Times.

The Economic Times did not identify the source of its information. Disney is set to open a theme park in Hong Kong in September.

Incoming Disney chief executive Robert Iger had said earlier the company was planning a range of projects in China, including a theme park, according to a recent article in Time magazine.

jrriddle

malcolm347 said:
Why build one there ? theres already one in Hong Kong and Japan. But i guess mainland china needs disney magic too.

3 simple words...
1. Money
2. Money
3. And of course Money!

cherrynegra

malcolm347 said:
Why build one there ? theres already one in Hong Kong and Japan. But i guess mainland china needs disney magic too.

Yes. As JR, said. Money. With the millions of Chinese entering the middle class, they're going to need something to burn their money with. Might as well do it at a Disney park.

I'm purely speculating here, but I think that's why the rumor of a park in India was so popular not so long ago. There is a huge bourgeoning middle class there as well.

jrriddle

That would be cool. However I don't know how the Muslims would like being reminded about a film they were pretty upset with to begin with.
The Arabians did not care for the Merchant character at the start of the film.
I know India is mostly Hindu, but there is a large Muslim comunity.

Personaly I would like to see Beast's castle in a park one day.

CaptainMichael

jrriddle said:
That would be cool. However I don't know how the Muslims would like being reminded about a film they were pretty upset with to begin with.
The Arabians did not care for the Merchant character at the start of the film.
I know India is mostly Hindu, but there is a large Muslim comunity.

Personaly I would like to see Beast's castle in a park one day.

What a pity because it would work well there. Not sure how a European Castle would look.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom