New Concept for Off Kilter

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I am a big fan of Off Kilter. Hope they don't change too much...I've introduced so many family and friends to their music...they are a must see every trip.

This has been a very fun thread to read. We go to a lot of the Scottish Highland games in Il, Mo, & Kansas. My grandma was the first in her family born in the USA her brother and parents were all born in Kilmarnock Scotland.
Did they all have big bunetts.

wannabeBelle

Dave, ignore this post. For the rest of us, In case anyone has not seen the new British Revolution in the UK Pavilion, here is a clip:

Enjoy!!! Marie

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Lots of Stan Rogers references going on here in Nova Scotia with those people caught smoking on the plane that was diverted to Bermuda. My stock answer for the people who say, "Oh please, no one ever died from someone smoking on a plane" is "Stan Rogers did"

Nova Scotia does mean New Scotland as Jamie always says. It's actually rare to find large well-established families here that are not direct descendants from the Scots. My family was kicked out Scotland for being horse thieves, my boyfriends family was kicked out of Scotland for burning down his neighbours farm. Basically we're like the black sheep of the Scotsmen and boy do you ever have to be bad for the Scots to kick you out!

Cape Breton (the island that makes up the Northern tip of Nova Scotia) is home to large "clans" errr...families that go by the names of : MacDonald, MacLean, Mackinnon, MacInnes, MacIsaac, MacPherson, MacNeil and all of their Mc equivalents and any other MacName you can think of. The accent there is a bastardized version of a Scottish accent with some of the same slang thrown in. My aunt is a MacLean from the Cape and b'ye the whistlin' jesus she makes a mighty fine mince and tatties and her tipsy laird and shortbreads are some good too.

Gaelic is still spoken in many places. We have Gaelic schools and there are towns in Nova Scotia where the street signs are actually still in Gaelic. Some of our towns are called New Glasgow, New Edinburgh, Ben Eoin, Loch Lommond, Inverness, Scotch Village, Beinn Bhreagh. Between our Gaelic names and our Mi'kmaq names (Musquodoboit, Ecum Secum and Kejimkujik) tourists have a tough time getting directions to anywhere.

The music in bars is a traditional Scots or Irish style. Look up the Rankin Family or Ashley MacIassac as an example. There are bagpipes all over the darn place. Celebrations are Ceilidh's we have celtic kitchen parties, drink lots of scotch and someone invariably breaks out the fiddle. Every official ceremony includes bagpipes and the Nova Scotian tartan. Many men get married wearing a kilt of either the NS tartan or the tartan of their clan.

My name was almost - Seasaidh (SHAY-see). I have cousins named Siobhan (SHA-von) and Ceilidh (KAY-lee)

When we toast we don't say cheers we say, Slainte Mhath many people call Scotland the Homeland.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of why a there is a Scottish presence in the Canadian Pavilion - they would have had it in the UK but they were probably kicked out for stealing their instruments or something.

EDIT: and if you don't know all the words to Barrett's Privateers you get publically flogged and are forced to move to England.

I could be your honorary cousin (see line 1 of my signature), although in Ireland we say it "shi-VAUGHN" ;) My brother was a drummer with a pipe band in his teenage years. I'm more partial to a fiddle than a bagpipe, though both can move me to tears. And Natalie MacLean is a favourite of mine. Someday I will visit!

wannabeBelle

I did get to see them live and was really moved to do so by Mark Weldon of Off Kilter. Mark and the band had apparently played after them at one of the Irish fests they were at and he felt that he had a REALLY tough act to follow. His exact words werent that, but he is Irish, born and raised and this is a family board!!!! Needless to say knowing Mark's level of talent I was curious so I went to see them with another Off Kilter fan who lives not too far away and I just thought they were great!!! Too bad they arent doing anything near by me anytime soon!!! Another Irish band I had gotten to know because of Off Kilter playing at the Indianapolis Irish fest was Gaelic Storm. Another great bunch of guys, although I miss Dr.W on the Bodhran. Here is a video with almost all of the band members I had seen at the few shows I caught You may recognize them as the band in the steerage scene from the movie "Titanic" Slainte!!!! Marie

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Marie, I heard an ad on the radio the other day that Gaelic Storm are playing somewhere here in Westchester and immediately thought, "I should get tickets", since I have all of their CDs! They seem like they put on a fun show. ;)

wannabeBelle

Marie, I heard an ad on the radio the other day that Gaelic Storm are playing somewhere here in Westchester and immediately thought, "I should get tickets", since I have all of their CDs! They seem like they put on a fun show. ;)
They do!!! As I said I miss Dr.W on the bodhran as he was the first person to teach me how to play one. After a few minor instructions he went off in search of a drink and left me with his bodrhan!!!! I didnt do it very well and certainly will more than happily leave the playing of same to those who can do it far better than I, but he was very nice to show me the rudiments. I was sad when he retired from the band. They are a young fun bunch, and Patrick, the lead singer is a hoot and a half!!! Definitely well worth going to see!! Marie

Dwarful

Pumbas...I wouldn't be surprised if my great grandpa didn't have a big bunett...when they came to Illinois he was a glass blower in the Owens Illinois glass factory. Although his son grew up to become a Presbyterian minister...something my grandmother said never failed to shock her father.

Of course I'm assuming you are talking about a hat... ;)

luv

OK, I had extra pain (I have honest medical problems and am not a druggie!) and took two Vicodins at once, so maybe I'm bring a total dingbat, but as far as this Off Kilter thing goes...

Did they replace the keyboard player? They didn't just eliminate keyboards, did they?

Is cute Jamie still playing the bagpipes? Is the funny tall guy with the dark hair still there?

I withhold judgement on the violin until I hear all this...but this thread (or possibly the Vicodin) has me very confused.

Also, I was prepared to hate the new British Invasion band and pine away for the Beatles cover band, but then I heard "Rebel Yell" while walking through the World Showcase and...well, I can't hate any band that gave me that most excellent experience. I've seen them and I like them and don't miss the Beatles one bit.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
OK, I had extra pain (I have honest medical problems and am not a druggie!) and took two Vicodins at once, so maybe I'm bring a total dingbat, but as far as this Off Kilter thing goes...

Did they replace the keyboard player? They didn't just eliminate keyboards, did they?

Is cute Jamie still playing the bagpipes? Is the funny tall guy with the dark hair still there?

I withhold judgement on the violin until I hear all this...but this thread (or possibly the Vicodin) has me very confused.

Also, I was prepared to hate the new British Invasion band and pine away for the Beatles cover band, but then I heard "Rebel Yell" while walking through the World Showcase and...well, I can't hate any band that gave me that most excellent experience. I've seen them and I like them and don't miss the Beatles one bit.

It is likely the Vicodin ;) 'cause if you start at the beginning, it is pretty clear. Keyboard and keyboard player both gone. Replaced with fiddle and fiddle player. Feel better.

luv

OMG. So embarrassed. Thank you, Gabe. I should be Vicodin-free for several weeks now. :)

I don't like the idea of no keyboard guy and will have to go watch the new set-up.

kapeman

One of these days, I should ask somebody to explain to me once again why a Celtic-ish folk-rock band should have a permanent presence in World Showcase in the first place.
w05.gif

Because it's AWESOME!

kapeman

Ahhh the Beatles. What can I say about them that wont get me banned. I will credit them with being first to do a few things (well first to get the publicity) but the rest is just hype.

Rush? What can I say except Exit Stage Left, Closer to the Heart, I was there.

Off Kilter are the best live act at Disney. So yu can bet the current regime will bollocks it up.

I knew I liked you for a reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom