New Concept for Off Kilter

Ariel484

Off Kilter is a Disney creation. Jamie (bagpipes) had already been playing in the Canadian pavilion with a drummer - both wearing white shirts and kilts with the Nova Scotia tartan and walking through the gardens and up to to the NW Mercantile where they would play a small show.

Disney wanted to up the ante a bit and found other musicians (some already worked for Disney, like Randy - some did not) and worked out a more of a celtic rock band. Jamie and Mark tried to figure out some traditional Nova Scotian songs to do that they could spruce up so he asked an amazing, attractive, talented, awesome, sweet, intelligent...oh, ok it was me :D Nova Scotian girl who worked at the pavilion to give a couple of song suggestions.

They began rehearsing (which I snuck into a couple of times) and then they played their first show for Disney execs (and a few of us Canadians for support) as an audition to see if they band would work. The execs loved it and the band debuted at Disney in 1997.

They did not exist outside of Disney until after that.
Interesting. I was under the impression that they existed prior to that.
Me too! I thought Disney nabbed them from the Irish touring circuit...thanks for the information! Really interesting.

The Duck

I heard them last week. I noticed the fiddle right away but I also noticed a different sound that I couldn't put my finger on. Good but different.

wannabeBelle

I love it!!! I cant imagine that would be easy!!! One of these days we have to catch a set together. Do you still work for the Mouse? Marie

HDS

Saw the fiddle also last week. They played Devil went down to GA. way not Celtic. I get it, you have a fiddle but just no... Stay Celtic guys... resist...

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
I love it!!! I cant imagine that would be easy!!! One of these days we have to catch a set together. Do you still work for the Mouse? Marie

Nope. Back hope in beautiful Nova Scotia. Next trip is planned for this June - kind of a solo/business trip. Once I firm up dates and get it booked I'll let you know and maybe we can catch a set. I usually call Randy's wife when I get there so we can meet up as well. Should be fun :)

wannabeBelle

I've met Randy's wife and the kids once, what a lovely family. Not a terrific surprise there, knowing Randy, he is such a great guy. I pop in and out during the course of the year so PM Me on here when your dates get firmed up and perhaps we can meet up for a set. I dont anticipate June for this year, but one never knows!!! I was looking at the beginning of July, but havent booked anything as of yet. Marie

The Empress Lilly

One of these days, I should ask somebody to explain to me once again why a Celtic-ish folk-rock band should have a permanent presence in World Showcase in the first place.
w05.gif

wannabeBelle

Because there is a strong Celtic presense in Nova Scotia and different parts of Canada? As I_love_Tigger has said, Jamie was playing pipes in the pavilion before Off Kilter came about, so obviously there is some ties to the country. Jamie has commented on it at several shows I have been at, but as I have never lived in Canada, I can't swear to it. I_love_Tigger can you comment more on this? Marie

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
One of these days, I should ask somebody to explain to me once again why a Celtic-ish folk-rock band should have a permanent presence in World Showcase in the first place.
w05.gif

A large number of early Scottish and Irish settlers call the Canadian Maritime provinces their home. Throw their traditions, along with a dash of Arcadian culture, and you have the unique sound of Atlantic Canada. It's an awesome part of the country, too often overlooked by foreign tourists. Halifax, Nova Scotia, is a beautiful city, and a great base to start your travels. (No, I don't work for the tourist board, I'm a bit down the coast, in Maine, but have always enjoyed my trips up there.)

dreamscometrue

Um that is not entirely true. Mark Weldon was born in Ireland and didnt come over to the States until he was an adult. Jason Thomas I know is of Canadian ancestry, but I Am not sure if he was born there or not. Marie

Jason is from Oakville, Ontario (part of Toronto's 5.5 million person 'Greater Toronto Area').

I've lived in Atlantic Canada 45 years of my life, so if you have any questions... :)

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
Hopefully they can learn more Stan Rogers' songs. :cool:

Lots of Stan Rogers references going on here in Nova Scotia with those people caught smoking on the plane that was diverted to Bermuda. My stock answer for the people who say, "Oh please, no one ever died from someone smoking on a plane" is "Stan Rogers did"

Because there is a strong Celtic presense in Nova Scotia and different parts of Canada? As I_love_Tigger has said, Jamie was playing pipes in the pavilion before Off Kilter came about, so obviously there is some ties to the country. Jamie has commented on it at several shows I have been at, but as I have never lived in Canada, I can't swear to it. I_love_Tigger can you comment more on this? Marie

Nova Scotia does mean New Scotland as Jamie always says. It's actually rare to find large well-established families here that are not direct descendants from the Scots. My family was kicked out Scotland for being horse thieves, my boyfriends family was kicked out of Scotland for burning down his neighbours farm. Basically we're like the black sheep of the Scotsmen and boy do you ever have to be bad for the Scots to kick you out!

Cape Breton (the island that makes up the Northern tip of Nova Scotia) is home to large "clans" errr...families that go by the names of : MacDonald, MacLean, Mackinnon, MacInnes, MacIsaac, MacPherson, MacNeil and all of their Mc equivalents and any other MacName you can think of. The accent there is a bastardized version of a Scottish accent with some of the same slang thrown in. My aunt is a MacLean from the Cape and b'ye the whistlin' jesus she makes a mighty fine mince and tatties and her tipsy laird and shortbreads are some good too.

Gaelic is still spoken in many places. We have Gaelic schools and there are towns in Nova Scotia where the street signs are actually still in Gaelic. Some of our towns are called New Glasgow, New Edinburgh, Ben Eoin, Loch Lommond, Inverness, Scotch Village, Beinn Bhreagh. Between our Gaelic names and our Mi'kmaq names (Musquodoboit, Ecum Secum and Kejimkujik) tourists have a tough time getting directions to anywhere.

The music in bars is a traditional Scots or Irish style. Look up the Rankin Family or Ashley MacIassac as an example. There are bagpipes all over the darn place. Celebrations are Ceilidh's we have celtic kitchen parties, drink lots of scotch and someone invariably breaks out the fiddle. Every official ceremony includes bagpipes and the Nova Scotian tartan. Many men get married wearing a kilt of either the NS tartan or the tartan of their clan.

My name was almost - Seasaidh (SHAY-see). I have cousins named Siobhan (SHA-von) and Ceilidh (KAY-lee)

When we toast we don't say cheers we say, Slainte Mhath many people call Scotland the Homeland.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of why a there is a Scottish presence in the Canadian Pavilion - they would have had it in the UK but they were probably kicked out for stealing their instruments or something.

EDIT: and if you don't know all the words to Barrett's Privateers you get publically flogged and are forced to move to England.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Lots of Stan Rogers references going on here in Nova Scotia with those people caught smoking on the plane that was diverted to Bermuda. My stock answer for the people who say, "Oh please, no one ever died from someone smoking on a plane" is "Stan Rogers did"

I met Stan at the Mariposa Folk Festival in 1979. We managed to chat over beers. I was in Alert, NWT [now NU] in '83 when I found out he'd died. I've never felt a loss like that.

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
I met Stan at the Mariposa Folk Festival in 1979. We managed to chat over beers. I was in Alert, NWT [now NU] in '83 when I found out he'd died. I've never felt a loss like that.

I've heard he was a fantastic guy and loved to chat. The loss was felt all over Canada. He was from Ontario but he summered in Nova Scotia and we kind of took him as one of our own. You should come to the Stan Rogers Folk Festival sometime. You're bound to meet someone that knew him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom