New coaster coming to Shanghai???

denyuntilcaught

Looks like a very low-themed, bare-steel coaster... first Disney coaster that features that without falling to the "it's a roller coaster" theme?
Sorry, but how do we know that really? How does this differ from the blueprints of another Disney ride with exposed steel i.e. Slinky Dog Dash?

Andrew25

Sorry, but how do we know that really? How does this differ from the blueprints of another Disney ride with exposed steel i.e. Slinky Dog Dash?
We don't, just making an observation while we await more details. From the permits, it shows the location of the station/maintenance/show-buildings, along with foundations for the coaster supports. Shows that the buildings are separate from one another and that the coaster weaves in and out throughout the area. There doesn't seem to be any additional foundation/buildings for theming outside those buildings.

Compared to some of the Epic Universe permits (attached), this style of permitting is pretty close... and the permit below is very close to the final product. Unless they're excluding things, this to me shows a rather "simple" coaster... but I'd love to be wrong here.
1713811794616.png

RandySavage

The little grass symbols mean "landscape area":
73eb4788950349549425b928e4681a80_page-0001j.jpg

Whenever a rumor comes around and I think "that's bad," it's almost guaranteed to get greenlit, and vice-versa.

My hope with this was that everything Marvel would get moved to a new Avengers Campus land and the coaster would be highly-themed and not visually downgrade the surrounding lands.

The plans shows:
- The current Marvel Universe pavilion will still exist on the opposite side of the park (I assume since there is no equivalent here).
- Most of the coaster will be an outdoor, naked track, ala Velocicoaster
- All three neighboring lands will likely have new naked coaster backdrops.

This need (a thrill ride) should have been filled with a non-IP mountain attraction or a well-themed Zootopia coaster. Maybe they'll surprise me when the concept art comes out...

Last edited:

Andrew25

lol so many assumption being made already on how bad this coaster will look and how it will ruin sightlines from other lands.....glad to know so many people here have the inside scoop.
I can care less about sightlines or visible supports/tracks... we're just trying to have a conversation with the little amount of info we have.

I wonder how Grizzly in Hong Kong would look on blueprints, yet that is hardly an "unthemed" coaster...
I'm sure Grizzly permits look similar... but that coaster's theming comes from rockwork... would a Spider-Man themed coaster have rock work? That's why we're questioning the theming on this coaster, and why we assume it'll be mostly feature bare supports. Unless they have some sort of "New York" theming they plan on using... I'm not sure what we can expect from this.

SplashJacket

1713818587039.png

Added some color and directional arrows to better understand the coaster's flow.

Arrows face the direction of the train, not the orientation of the rider. Overall looks like a greater coaster.

Starts at blue arrows, then after forward facing launch it becomes green arrows (middle section) and then last third is yellow arrows.

The red buildings are show scenes/launches. The pink area looks like a heavily themed area.

Orange highlight appears to be the train going over the path.

The coaster appears to to be at ground level after the backward launch and again at the forward launch.

1713818926497.png

The outdents south of the vehicle storage building suggests a themed facade.

Overall looks like a good, long, fun coaster. Only concern from a thematic perspective is the orange over path space and the area between load and the first launch.

Initially, I thought the orange space was an underground tunnel, but the footers/stairs/pathplacement suggest otherwise.

DisneyDean97

I can care less about sightlines or visible supports/tracks... we're just trying to have a conversation with the little amount of info we have.

I'm sure Grizzly permits look similar... but that coaster's theming comes from rockwork... would a Spider-Man themed coaster have rock work? That's why we're questioning the theming on this coaster, and why we assume it'll be mostly feature bare supports. Unless they have some sort of "New York" theming they plan on using... I'm not sure what we can expect from this.
Even if its themed to"New York" what's the purpose or story for seeing exposed coaster track.
Obviously Disney has built outdoor coasters before, but they were all themed.
Up until recently Disney mostly got around building coasters in two methods...
1. If it's outdoors, its themed to some "train" attraction, so the track gets railroad ties to make it look better, "Grizzly Mountain at HKDL, Expedition Everest, and obviously Big Thunder Mountain.
2. If they can't theme the tracks to look like railroad tracks, then they stick it in a building.
There are some exceptions, like Slinky Dog, but the track is suppose to be a "roller coaster playset" so the exposed track makes sense.
I'll reserve judgement until I see the concept art, maybe they'll surprise me and theme the track to like a subway car, and it's out of control, and you're riding on elevated tracks, could make sense if the theme of the land is NYC.

Also, last thing... another IP Land with only ONE attraction, can we even consider these "lands" anymore?

SplashJacket

The heck did he get this art from?

He pulled it out of thin air.

Someone probably messaged him saying "I got a leaked concept art for this!" and he fell for it. It doesn't line up with the permits (at all) and has AI written all over it.

Coaster beams don't connect to track:
1713832421086.png

Coaster track turns into weird red line:
1713832442499.png

1713832550854.png

Two pieces of track merge into themselves.

And overall just doesn't make sense.

Why are people on the second story of the building?

lazyboy97o

I wonder how Grizzly in Hong Kong would look on blueprints, yet that is hardly an "unthemed" coaster...
There are a lot of different “blueprints” that serve different purposes but Big Grizzly Mountain would look very different. Even with this sort of site plan the rock work showbuilding would show up as a big gray area since it is a building. You’d also have the various different elevations notes where this only shows about a meter of difference across most of the site except where the exit path dips down under the coaster track.

BrianLo

I'm not saying everyone is wrong, but aren't the origins of a Spiderman Coaster incredibly out of date? I don't know if we've head Spiderman for several years at this point?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom