New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

sweetpee_1993

No, clearly not, just like getting to a theme park 9 hours before a show starts wasn't enough time to get viewing for the show. If it were they would still be giving out times when you get there...
Well I'll be sure to eat lunch at the airport since Disney's QUICK SERVICE restaurants won't be an option for me. Don't wanna have my blood sugar take a dive on me. I haven't reserved a FP+ for EMS....

xstech25

Yes that would not be a terrible idea considering one of the six or so quick service places at MK will not be an option, however considering you are possibly using a private car I would suggest stopping somewhere along the way to WDW instead of eating at the airport to avoid the airport-markup. The time you save by not using Disney's Magical Express allows you some more time to stop for a few minutes and eat :).

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
No, clearly not, just like getting to a theme park 9 hours before a show starts wasn't enough time to get viewing for the show. If it were they would still be giving out times when you get there...

Wrong again.

Yes, it would be, for ALL other QS restaurants, which have no set lunch time like BOG. Like I posted previously, I've gotten to BOG after 1:00PM and was able to get in with just a 15-20 minute wait.

Based upon the pictures provided by @WDWFanDave, it appears this system isn't working very well, if by 11:15 all the return tickets are taken and his pictures show a fairly empty restaurant at lunch.

sweetpee_1993

Yes that would not be a terrible idea considering one of the six or so quick service places at MK will not be an option, however considering you are possibly using a private car I would suggest stopping somewhere along the way to WDW instead of eating at the airport to avoid the airport-markup. The time you save by not using Disney's Magical Express allows you some more time to stop for a few minutes and eat :).
Yep. Probably have a better quality meal for less $$, too. So glad I bumped into you. :cool:

LAKid53

Premium Member
It's going on at least through the third week in September:
Untitled-3.jpg

We received the above email this past Thursday for our upcoming trip. We had no intention of eating there this go around but figured since we had an open lunch one day then why not. Pre ordered our soups and a turkey sammy to share.

That's for the FP+ only, which has been going on for a year or so, I think. We are talking about the new standby process Disney has implemented for BOG, one similar to the M&G for Elsa and Anna.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We are arriving Sept 28 and on the Be Our Guest site, we can only reserve a time until Sept 27. Is this a test or due to high volume? Does anyone know if they will be adding on after Sept 27? This was always easy for us to do, arrive at 10:30 to queue up, hoping this has not been ruined by overplanning.

Did you get the e-mail invite? If so, that's weird because the invite has your reservation confirmation number included, so you would think the system would import the dates of your resort reservation. Interesting....

stevehousse

Thanks. And thanks to @stevehousse, too. Admittedly, I haven't kept up with all the little nuances with things at WDW. I was loosely aware but not bothering to track all the details with the changes. This has been my first foray into the fire. I cannot even begin to fathom how total newbies would handle this stuff. Insanely complicated.

As for World of Color at DCA, you can get FP via old school machines in park the day of. When WoC was new they sold out quick. Now, not as fast. Also there are WoC dining packages that get you into different reserved viewing areas. All the designated viewing areas are standing only. If you don't have any access to the viewing areas you can still see & hear the show, just not as unobstructed as the viewing areas. The show is done nightly, maybe more in the summer/holiday times. I'm not sure. I believe the reserved viewing areas accommodate 9k people. Or maybe it was they hoped for 9k but fell short in execution of the space. I know I've seen that number tied to the viewing areas, tho. We did see WoC this past spring during our first west coast trip. It is amazing. We did the Carthay Circle dinner package to get our spots. It was lovely. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
By chance r u linked to ur friends MDE account since u r technically "traveling" together and listed as a guest in the room? If so, she should be able to add u to the FP reservation and u won't have to worry about not getting in...

sweetpee_1993

By chance r u linked to ur friends MDE account since u r technically "traveling" together and listed as a guest in the room? If so, she should be able to add u to the FP reservation and u won't have to worry about not getting in...
I am.

I think we have it figured out. Since I was flying in on points I was able to change my flight to the day before for $3. Friends will be off to Uni but I'll be dog tired from getting up at zero-o'clock for my early flight. I'll catch some rest poolside or maybe do some shopping. Dusk will be a great time to fit in a 3-4 mile run. Get a solid night's rest then be good to go for the full day including joining friends on their BoG lunch FP+ time. No problem. Still completely absurd the hoops you have to jump thru for a quick service lunch. Honestly, I don't know how or why it's even categorized that way. In the present state it's really not.

AEfx

That. Is. SICKENING.

And I don't use that term lightly, at all.

It's disgusting.

So this is what they are putting the Military CM's at the bridge to prevent folks from over-crowding?

If it was such a "problem" to begin with, and this is the best they can do - close up shop on the food portion, and convert the place into a walk-through a la Sleeping Beauty at Disneyland.

One would think in this day and age, after 40+ years of doing this, Disney could figure out how to run a fast food joint in a theme park. Especially before they use it as one of the three centerpiece "attractions" of the "New" Fantasyland they are advertising left and right in print and on television for folks to come down and visit. I'm surprised legal hasn't made them put one of those blink and you miss it (or squint if you want to read it) disclaimers that says, "Some experiences portrayed are not typical of the average WDW visitor..."

LAKid53

Premium Member
Okay, here it goes. Will try to keep this mostly OT, but have to share the overall experience at BoG.

Went there as we got an email 'FastPass' lunch invite. Thanks to all the regular posters here, I knew there was little other chance of getting in by going to try and get one of the special cards with a time to return for lunch, so I figured we'd go for it. Happy we are not on the DDP this year, as there's so much more flexibility when you get to order what you really want. So, I pre-ordered. Thought, well, who knows, maybe we'll actually want to eat what we ordered anyway, even if it was in advance.

Couldn't remember what time the Fast Pass was for...doesn't show up on MDE. So, stopped by the check in desk to find out what time we were supposed to arrive. They had us scheduled for 11:15. At the time we stopped by, which was 10ish, they were passing out cards. Wanted to report that here, as I know many have wondered how long those last. Well, we returned just after 11:15, and the sign was out that there were no more spots available for the day. Yep-11:15.

Was it a busy day? Not really, and I HATE crowds, so for me to feel like it wasn't too bad, it really wasn't too bad. I think the 'E's got to an hour plus reported waits, but most other rides that were reporting 20 minute waits were really walk ons. Only report this info to let you know that if you're coming at a busier time, RUN past Anna & Elsa and go get your card for BoG if you really want to eat there.

So, we checked in, and were sent to go stand in line. Yep, pre-ordered, and we had to go get in line to use an order kiosk to see if they had our order correct. Well, if they had actually KEPT the order I placed, then it would've been fine. But, no big surprise, but the system had no idea what we ordered, we had to start all over.

From there, once we finalized the order and paid...had to go stand in another line. You heard that correctly...now you have to go stand in line so that someone can bring you to a table. Sat in the ballroom before, so I asked for one of the side rooms. Ended up in the beautiful music box room.

On the way in, though, even though it was still early for lunch, I was taken aback at how many empty tables there were. Mind you, even though we go there about 11:20, it was a good 15 minutes to get through the lines and to a table. Was about 11:35 or so when the food arrived. It arrived while I was up and taking pictures. Food was ok. Nothing worth what we paid, IMO.

When we left, the line of folks returning to get in with their time was across the bridge. Yep...hurry up and return so you can stand in the line that you would have had to stand in anyway, but at least we made you work harder for it... and, so I'm sure that the tables would fill in, but they are not IN ANY WAY managing that capacity very well. I know it's new...but sometimes I wonder who the heck comes up with this crap...and why they insist on putting the guests through the angst of having to live through it. And, not to mention the CMs that have to deal with the guests. They literally have a team of blockers at the end of the bridge...traffic cops...whatever you want to call them. I'd bet they need a drink (or three) after working a shift there. I know I would.

So, that brings me all the way to the pictures. Took them between the time we sat and when we left (a bit after noon time). I'll be back shortly and edit this with them. Evidently they're too big to upload, not sure, but would bet it's the wi-fi doing me in.

ETA:
View attachment 63420
View attachment 63421 View attachment 63422 View attachment 63423 View attachment 63424

In all our visits to BOG, both for lunch & dinner, I don't think I've ever see it that empty. Definitely the best system to handle demand and expedite table turnover - NOT.

AEfx

I think you are completely, and somewhat rudely, missing Sweet Pea's and many others points. Which is, if we want to stand in line to wait, as long as we are in line before the cut off time for restaurant closure, then Disney should let us. This whole "come back" thing is fixing a problem that didn't need to be fixed.

I feel old saying this, but "back in the day" (and not even THAT long ago), anything that was open at WDW you could walk up to right up until the moment before it closed and get admitted. The entrance to the line closed at that time, but it might be "open" another hour or two to cycle through all the guests.

Of course, that was back when park hours weren't nearly as short as one average work day shift, and park hours actually meant something - the only thing you needed a "times guide" for was for the shows/fireworks, not the spreadsheet like thing it is now where every other thing at WDW is a special snowflake with it's own abbreviated hours.

sweetpee_1993

I feel old saying this, but "back in the day" (and not even THAT long ago), anything that was open at WDW you could walk up to right up until the moment before it closed and get admitted. The entrance to the line closed at that time, but it might be "open" another hour or two to cycle through all the guests.

Of course, that was back when park hours weren't nearly as short as one average work day shift, and park hours actually meant something - the only thing you needed a "times guide" for was for the shows/fireworks, not the spreadsheet like thing it is now where every other thing at WDW is a special snowflake with it's own abbreviated hours.
Oh dear Jesus how I LOVE this post! I want to hug it and squeeze it and love it and call it "George"! Nailed it like a champ. Special snowflake. That's genius right there! <3

prberk

Oh dear Jesus how I LOVE this post! I want to hug it and squeeze it and love it and call it "George"! Nailed it like a champ. Special snowflake. That's genius right there! <3

The special snowflakes on the Times Guide are part of the Frozen theme -- they are not asterisks, but special "Frozen"-themed notes that you would not have gotten lest the attraction featured have special hours. Get with the program....

Anyway, I agree. Best post ever. And 100% true.

I used to love the fact that I could make reservations for dinner or something, but that I also understood that I could just wait in line if I wanted to. All of this requirement for advanced planning really takes away from the idea of taking it all in, and being open whatever nice surprises might be around the corner.

And as for lines themselves, they are self-regulating in most cases. I mean that people will look at them and decide for themselves if they are too long for their tolerances. And especially at $100 per person per day, if they got in the front door, they ought to be able to wait in whatever line they want, understanding that length of the line may prevent them from having time to do anything later. All Disney needs to do is to plan staffing for it, as they used to know how to do.

CDavid

One would think in this day and age, after 40+ years of doing this, Disney could figure out how to run a fast food joint in a theme park

Indeed. One would think so, but...that would apparently be mistaken. :rolleyes:

I feel old saying this, but "back in the day" (and not even THAT long ago), anything that was open at WDW you could walk up to right up until the moment before it closed and get admitted. The entrance to the line closed at that time, but it might be "open" another hour or two to cycle through all the guests

That's so old school, back when customer service actually mattered, and Disney operated its attractions, shops, and restaurants for the convenience of guests. As opposed to 2014, when guests are expected to ride, shop, and dine at Disney's convenience. :confused:

Mike S

I wonder if the managers at WDW are actually manatees picking idea balls at random. Do we have the power to overthrow them? There's certain people here on this forum who I think would be perfect for the jobs of running the place.

YankeeMouse

No, didn't get the evite, but when I go online at beourguestlunch.disney.go.com I can make a reservation up to Sept 27. Our resort reservation is from Sept 21 through Oct 1.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The special snowflakes on the Times Guide are part of the Frozen theme -- they are not asterisks, but special "Frozen"-themed notes that you would not have gotten lest the attraction featured have special hours. Get with the program....

I used to love the fact that I could make reservations for dinner or something, but that I also understood that I could just wait in line if I wanted to. All of this requirement for advanced planning really takes away from the idea of taking it all in, and being open whatever nice surprises might be around the corner.

Nothing succeeds like success.....

It's going to get to the point that the parks cannot handle the volume of visitors without major expansion - and I don't mean just redoing the attractions within a park's boundaries. Disney is going to have to (1) redo those parks that have become only a few hours visit (Hollywood Studios, I'm calling your name), (2) add another gate (If Uni can do it, so can you), and, and I mean AND, (3) blow out the boundaries of the Magic Kingdom. Come on Iger, I figure from the amount of land purchased (about 27,000 acres), the 1/3 set aside for conservation, the amount used for all 6 parks and resorts, you've probably got at least 7,000 available. Surely you can hire some decent urban planners to work with your imagineers to figure this one out - there is a pretty good university not far from your house that can provide the planners (grad students will work cheap for a chance for something like this). Plus, you created your own district to facilitate the zoning/permitting process. If Walt could build Disneyland in one year, I'm sure you can tackle this one. Who really wants an Avatarland anyway, other than you (and James Cameron)? So Bob, that's your homework assignment. Go find those films of the construction of Disneyland, study them, and learn from them. 'Cause we DON'T want you screwing this one up, please.

sweetpee_1993

And as for lines themselves, they are self-regulating in most cases. I mean that people will look at them and decide for themselves if they are too long for their tolerances. And especially at $100 per person per day, if they got in the front door, they ought to be able to wait in whatever line they want, understanding that length of the line may prevent them from having time to do anything later. All Disney needs to do is to plan staffing for it, as they used to know how to do.

Literally, I guess I *DO* need to get with the program. Crash course for a day. A single dadgummin' day. That says a lot. More Frozen references. I shoulda known... :rolleyes: Biggest lesson learned from all this: 1 day is plenty. More days and I think my head would explode. :banghead:

$105 for a day. A single solitary day. Who plans 6 months out for a single day??? Oh yeah. I'm the expendable guest now. That's right. :hilarious:

harveyt0206

Great report. Thanks for putting in the effort to document your experience. Nice to have someone there who could actually confirm how obviously flawed this idea was.

A good point I read above by @CDavid. MK is drawing more guests then ever, and there are fewer places for those guests to eat then ever. How does that make sense to anyone? I mean, anyone who isn't managing budgets for Food and Bev at MK.

Efficiency above all?

I am.

I think we have it figured out. Since I was flying in on points I was able to change my flight to the day before for $3. Friends will be off to Uni but I'll be dog tired from getting up at zero-o'clock for my early flight. I'll catch some rest poolside or maybe do some shopping. Dusk will be a great time to fit in a 3-4 mile run. Get a solid night's rest then be good to go for the full day including joining friends on their BoG lunch FP+ time. No problem. Still completely absurd the hoops you have to jump thru for a quick service lunch. Honestly, I don't know how or why it's even categorized that way. In the present state it's really not.

You know, I'm really starting to believe that "my Magic minus" has ruined everything that I use to love about WDW. I realized it when I started obsessively checking the super special Be Our Guest for lunch website multiple times a day just to see if I could get us a fast pass for our first day, which is 9/18. Eating at BE Our Guest was one of the few things my husband actually asked for. He doesn't ask for a lot and he works very hard to give us the money to take these over priced trips that I usually adore. So when he asked to dine here I did everything I could to try to make that happen. I never received the email invitation from Disney, even though I am staying on property at a deluxe resort. Finally Saturday morning,8/23, a reservation opened up for us on 9/18. I went ahead and booked it. I pre-ordered our meals but after I did it I felt exhausted simply because every single moment of this eight day trip has been planned within an inch of its life. I feel like there's simply no room to be spontaneous. When I saw that Sweet pea had to change her flight to the day before simply so she could dine with her friends due to this new fast pass system I thought, this is ridiculous! People should be allowed to walk into the park and choose a fast service restaurant to eat at and not have to reschedule their entire lives just to make it happen. And people should not be penalized or criticized for actually wanting to enjoy their day at a park with their friends on a trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom