New after hours street party coming to this year's Epcot Food and Festival

startraveler

So basically its 80 bucks for a 3 hour themed nightclub.

Do people not see the brilliance Disney is displaying here?

Doesn't seem like such a good deal to me either. But it might be for some who like to "hang out" at the F & W. My understanding is that there will be special areas during the regular park hours. You can sit there every day M-Th and you will have "waiters" to bring you your booth selections. Of course you have to pay. But for some they might like to sit around the water and avoid the lines.
oops, You were talking about the party alone, not the deluxe thingy. Sorry

bhg469

To a point, I agree with you. They didn't replace an otherwise free (or included with park admission) event to create this. However, and this is going back some time, Epcot used to simply be open later. Now, once Illuminations runs, it's work your way out of the park and aside from Mousegear, most things are all closed up. I'd rather the park on the whole were open till midnight, but I understand that means staffing everwhere, and payroll, even at the low costs they pay CM's, isn't free.
This is 100% correct! Epcot should just be open late, end of story. To anyone saying this is not effecting guests, you're completely wrong. This allows the park to close early, have minimum staff, and charge for being in a park that should be open.

jrriddle

Whoa, easy there! Let's not make it sound like DLR is taking the high road here. They cancelled the California Food & Wine Festival because the entire park was under construction and there was physically no space to set up stages and tasting areas. They had already announced things for the next year's schedule (including the would-have-been-new cranberry bog) before having to put the event on a 2-year hiatus.

Once the construction was complete, they had sold enough APs that they managed to turn their peak seasons inside out. No longer is late spring a sleepy time at DLR; APs aren't blocked out, so it's busier than summer. There's simply no need (or feasibly way) to do the F&W festival since they no longer have an off-season that could benefit from the increased crowds or has extra space for the various events

As for the Mad T Party, it's an evolution that began with Glow Fest, which was originally devised as a way to occupy crowds waiting for the second World of Color show, since they realized that their park (pre-Carsland) still didn't have enough to keep people busy for a full day. When that became the surprise hit of the summer and did a bang-up job selling expensive drinks, they quickly refashioned it into ElecTRONica to tie in with the film that was to be released a couple months later.

After 2 years with that theme and still pulling in huge profits from drinks, food, and merchandise, they finally decided to swap out the theme for Alice and make the setup a little more permanent. It still has a very temporary vibe, and a much worse impact on that area of the park than the Hat Stage in WDW, but continues to pull in buckets of money. Yes, the offering is free with admission, but Disney is still turning a huge profit from it. This is now Mad T Party's third year in that space and they show no intention of updating or revising it any time soon, or adding the long-needed permanent infrastructure to make that area even mildly pleasant during the daytime hours

No, DLR isn't adding more upcharge events than you can keep track of, but they also aren't nearly the saints that you're making them out to be

Well I'm not an AP so I can't comment. Didn't realize that was why they pulled F&W. I'm not saying they are perfect, I'm just saying that between the two I would prefer to spend my money on the west coast. I do appreciate the insight however. Because I'm a tourist and not an AP I guess I don't see the problems you do. DLR just doesn't leave the bad taste in my mouth that WDW does lately. Grass is always greener I suppose...

TP2000

No, DLR isn't adding more upcharge events than you can keep track of, but they also aren't nearly the saints that you're making them out to be

Valid points all; Glow Fest begat ElecTRONica begat Mad T Party. And TDA really stumbled into that Glow Fest cash cow by accident, although I'm sure Mary Niven played it up like she had planned it all along during her annual performance review in 2010 with George Kalogridis.

And East Coast/Midwest fans who only go to WDW have no idea what they are doing every night this summer at Mad T Party in Anaheim. Their only point of reference for night entertainment that isn't fireworks or Fantasmic! are these "new" upcharge events at WDW that are crawling with TDO middle managers in business casual smiling broadly at all the lifestylers as they videoblog every appetizer and stilt walker. :rolleyes:

But you also have to admit that the concept of "evening adult-oriented cocktail dance party experience done right" was a TDA invention, regardless of how they stumbled into it. And George Kalogridis was the DLR President during that 2010-12 era, and now he's the WDW President. So he has first hand experience with putting on a nicely produced semi-permanent night party inside a theme park. George K and the TDO execs have made a conscious decision to not follow the established DLR model when it comes to adult night entertainment. They are going in a very different direction with upcharge events with "entertainment" featuring those Godawful DJ's who didn't get a gig at the Tampa Holiday Inn that weekend. Yikes.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Well I'm not an AP so I can't comment. Didn't realize that was why they pulled F&W. I'm not saying they are perfect, I'm just saying that between the two I would prefer to spend my money on the west coast. I do appreciate the insight however. Because I'm a tourist and not an AP I guess I don't see the problems you do. DLR just doesn't leave the bad taste in my mouth that WDW does lately. Grass is always greener I suppose...
No worries, I just wanted to set the record straight, since it seems like DLR often gets an unwarranted halo on these boards. I haven't been an APer there for 3+ years so I'm not privy to all of the changes, but I still manage to visit often enough (despite living on the east coast) to see how things are evolving. They do have a lot of good stuff, but they also have their problems. I visit DLR and WDW with about the same frequency, and I would personally rather visit WDW for a variety of reasons (in large part, due to the stuff outside the parks)

For me personally, I think that each incarnation of the DCA event has been a downgrade from the last. GlowFest was a good old-fashioned block party that seemingly popped up out of nowhere (and all inside info indicated that they had no idea it would be such a smash hit), while the recent ones have become increasingly corporate, branded, slick events. The current set up with the live band, "activity stations", and gaudy Wonderland decor throughout just doesn't work for me at all. But tons of people seem to love it, so what do I know?
Valid points all; Glow Fest begat ElecTRONica begat Mad T Party. And TDA really stumbled into that Glow Fest cash cow by accident, although I'm sure Mary Niven played it up like she had planned it all along during her annual performance review in 2010 with George Kalogridis.

And East Coast/Midwest fans who only go to WDW have no idea what they are doing every night this summer at Mad T Party in Anaheim. Their only point of reference for night entertainment that isn't fireworks or Fantasmic! are these "new" upcharge events at WDW that are crawling with TDO middle managers in business casual smiling broadly at all the lifestylers as they videoblog every appetizer and stilt walker. :rolleyes:

But you also have to admit that the concept of "evening adult-oriented cocktail dance party experience done right" was a TDA invention, regardless of how they stumbled into it. And George Kalogridis was the DLR President during that 2010-12 era, and now he's the WDW President. So he has first hand experience with putting on a nicely produced semi-permanent night party inside a theme park. George K and the TDO execs have made a conscious decision to not follow the established DLR model when it comes to adult night entertainment. They are going in a very different direction with upcharge events with "entertainment" featuring those Godawful DJ's who didn't get a gig at the Tampa Holiday Inn that weekend. Yikes.
Well said, and all very good points! If George thinks that Harambe Nights or the After Hours Wind Down are anything like GlowFest, then I really don't think he's paying attention to what makes any of these events appealing. I wonder how much he even really knew about the original event, since it was almost completely outsourced and developed outside the company; the other attempts to match that same energy just haven't quite lived up to it

71jason

They are going in a very different direction with upcharge events with "entertainment" featuring those Godawful DJ's who didn't get a gig at the Tampa Holiday Inn that weekend. Yikes.

I think you're being unfair to the DJs around WDW. They have severe restrictions placed on them--no songs with a hint of inappropriate content, and heavy on the line dances. Nevertheless, someone like DJ Elliot (or his alter ego DJ Lobot) manages to make it work and find a way to be creative. Not saying I'd spend the money at issue here for any DJ, I just think it's unfair to malign them for TDO's lack of vision.

cw1982

I think you're being unfair to the DJs around WDW. They have severe restrictions placed on them--no songs with a hint of inappropriate content, and heavy on the line dances. Nevertheless, someone like DJ Elliot (or his alter ego DJ Lobot) manages to make it work and find a way to be creative. Not saying I'd spend the money at issue here for any DJ, I just think it's unfair to malign them for TDO's lack of vision.

That's definitely true. Try finding enough catchy songs of the right tempo to put together three minutes' worth of ten second clips for a high school cheerleading routine. It's almost impossible to use current music without inappropriate language, unless everyone uses the same handful of songs (which happens quite a bit lol).

Last edited:

Kman101

Epcot should 100% be open late. It makes no sense to me that a monorail park isn't open until at least 11pm. I mean, I'd imagine there'd be a nice crowd draw, also considering the resorts nearby that guests can even walk to from Epcot! Makes NO sense it shuts down at 9pm. Have Future World open from 9-9 and WS 11-11 regularly. Done. I'd even say midnight but this is TDO ... and in summer, or peak times, have it open until 12 or 1 or 2. People would 100% be there. I'm shocked they really haven't. When did it start that Epcot just shuts down at 9? It seems like it's been that way for quite a while now.

It could also make the Epcot after 4 pass a bit more appealing (I'm surprise that's still offered). 4pm to Midnight? Yes please. 4pm to 9pm. No thanks. I'd certainly consider that once my ap expires next May. I'd love to stroll around Epcot after dark (I can't tell you the last time I was in Epcot after dark, honestly ... Illuminations is good but it really needs to be changed out or plussed immensely). It's just not appealing to me to be shoved out of the park at 9 (well, not literally but I'm going for a point) after the show. Sorry folks! Show's over ... GET OUT!

It would also help the WS at night if they had a couple of more attractions, that way, FW could be shut down and everyone could be in the WS.

Epcot could fill that void of not having a night life at Disney World. Unless they have some plans to have Disney Springs actually open late and have more bar offerings and club type restaurants that can convert over after a certain time of night. But even then ... honestly I'd choose Epcot if that were an option.

I don't really know what to say about the new premium package ... to each their own. Doesn't interest me. I find it sort of laughable and the price and what's offered, TBH. I'm sure it will sell out though. If someone finds value in it and enjoys it, I hope they do.

DubDeeDub

Does anyone have any ideas where the 10 "VIP Premium lounges" will be? I can't picture where these would fit, or what they would look like. This doesn't interest me, but does concern me! I assume one of two options - random tents or tables next to the water, or roped off areas like the house in Morocco or the upper level of Canada. Both having their own issues for non-paying guests...

michmousefan

I'm seeing on another site that park admission required???

Epcot Food and Wine Late Nights LIVE
This new event is an after-hours party that will take place on Tuesday and Thursday nights. It will take place in the World Showcase between the Showcase Plaza and the United Kingdom Pavilion. Guests will receive six complimentary items from several of the Food and Wine Marketplaces. There will be entertainment, musical performances and a live DJ.

Where: Epcot World Showcase between the United Kingdom Pavilion and Showcase Plaza
When: Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting Sep. 23; 9:45 pm – 1 am
Price: $79 per person, plus tax. Gratuity included. Epcot park admission required.
LOL at that "Gratuity included" addition. As if I always toss a ducat or two into the tip jar at the F&W booths, or perhaps the gratuity is intended for the services of the DJ that they will place somewhere. Thanks, TDO for relieving me of the need to have to tip all of these people at this special event. Just curious, what the cost would be if gratuity *wasn't* included?

I'm a bit surprised they didn't call the event "Party With the Elites." That nomenclature would dovetail nicely with some of the other F&W offerings.

JohnD

I got the Premium Package. My thinking is this: I would rather have a package for $199 which encompasses several things than pay $199 for a single dinner. Almost everything at the F&W festival has a price tag on it -- from $15 mixology seminar to $299 Party for the Senses "Wine View Lounge".

All told I reserved three F&W specific things:
  • Premium Package (includes $79 Late Night Event, $50 gift card, and $70 for MB, bottle of wine, wine glass, and truffles): $199
  • Parisian Breakfast: $39
  • Mixology Seminar: $15
This is enough for me to have a good "taste" of the festival.

Well, I thought that the $299 Party of the Senses "Wine View Lounge" was the most expensive item. Nope. Try this (found on another blog):

10/24 Victoria & Albert's 6:30 p.m. $549 Scott Hunnel, Chef de Cuisine

TP2000

I have no doubt that TDO has the DJ's on a short leash. But there's just such a bland, corporate feel to the WDW "dance parties" of recent years. It's the same middle-aged guy in a Hawaiian shirt who is "fun!" playing the same 8 songs over and over while 4 year olds and their Soccer Mom minders wiggle around a dance floor. Hey kids, it's Macarena time! Puke.

Instead of corporate song lists and a bad DJ, why not take it upscale? A live jazz band and fire torches and lounge furniture to enjoy the warm evening and romantic environment of World Showcase by? A hip ultralounge instead of a bad wedding reception?

71jason

Instead of corporate song lists and a bad DJ, why not take it upscale? A live jazz band and fire torches and lounge furniture to enjoy the warm evening and romantic environment of World Showcase by? A hip ultralounge instead of a bad wedding reception?

Well, in terms of most in-park events, because they're catering to the under-10 crowd and their parents. And when that's your answer 90% of the time, are you really going to the trouble of casting a live jazz band the other 10% of the time? Easier to give one of the CM DJs already on call the gig.

For the record, I don't see anything really classing up a stretch of walkway with four glorified food trucks.

TP2000

Well, in terms of most in-park events, because they're catering to the under-10 crowd and their parents. And when that's your answer 90% of the time, are you really going to the trouble of casting a live jazz band the other 10% of the time? Easier to give one of the CM DJs already on call the gig.

For the record, I don't see anything really classing up a stretch of walkway with four glorified food trucks.

Sure it's easier to give one of the CM DJ's the gig, but is that the right thing to do when you are charging 80 bucks per person? ;)

There's got to be a 5 man jazz combo on WDW property somewhere?! There's two jazz bands in Disneyland that play daily on quick service dining patios; Side Street Strutters and Jambalaya Jazz, and at the same time there's a third jazz band playing on the patio of Paradise Gardens in DCA; The Ellis Island Boys.

If silly little DCA can muster up one jazz band playing daily on a quick service restaurant patio, then surely gigantic WDW can find a jazz group to play twice a week for an up-charged dining event.

Get some big torches and some hip lounge furniture, define the space with some big panels of white linen backlit with LED lights, roll in some big potted plants with uplights and put a jazz combo on a small stage, start the food and drink flowing, and you've got a great party. It could be held in a KMart parking lot and look cool if you got pro designers to stage it correctly.

But a sweeping walkway on the flanks of World Showcase lagoon is a lovely location that any party planner in America would give their right arm for a chance to stage an event there. And with a healthy budget of 60 dollars per person for appetizers and entertainment, and 20 bucks in profit? A bonanza! :D

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom