New Addition's To Disney's Animal Kingdom

Dinoman96

I agree with your essay there, DDLand, but...

While there is a place for imaginary or extinct animals at Disney's Animal Kingdom, it must be in a properly supported area like Dinoland or BK.

latest

Kman101

I don't think Jungle Book makes sense in the park narrative. While there could be debate, I don't believe the movies (definitely not the book) are set in the modern day. Asia is a modern day experience. It would be odd to place something from a century ago in a land about today. Furthermore, all iterations of the Jungle Book have animals that are either not accurately placed in their habitat, displaying nonnatural behaviors, or are incorrectly portrayed. For example, numerous animals were portrayed in the most recent movie as significantly larger than the real world creature. The old animated movie featured a species of Apes nonnative to India. Disney's Animal Kingdom prides itself on accurate portrayals of Animal behaviors and features, and would immediately be at odds with that mission. Perhaps most egregiously, the new Jungle Book Film featured an animal that is extinct in a feature role all without acknowledging the break. While there is a place for imaginary or extinct animals at Disney's Animal Kingdom, it must be in a properly supported area like Dinoland or BK.

It's also worth noting that Jungle Book is not a product of Asian Cultures. While there are certainly traces of the culture in the book, it was written by a European from a European perspective. The follow ups have also been created by Americans from an America perspective. If there must be a dark ride narrative, I think it would be far more fascinating to have a South Asian story told in way that enriches the land and park.

This also ignores the fact that the ride would have to take place in the first person. A retelling of the adventure wouldn't cut it. It would have to be your Adventure in the setting of the Jungle Book, at which point you have to wonder why even bothering with IP.

Jungle Book isn't necessary or even appropriate at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Think Original. ;)

Edit: Hah, I didn't even mention that the book and park have different themes and messages. That's another problem...

Great post. I don't disagree with your points. But we all know they'd put Jungle Book in over an original idea tailored to the park. LOL .... just sayin' so if they did I'd want the realistic animals/live action one featured. But I do agree with where you're coming from.

Tavernacle12

The Animatronics from Energy are not accurate and would have to be overhauled completely to make it work. Feathered Dinosaurs should be coming sooner rather than later.

If they wanted to reuse them AND add a new dark ride, they could easily have the dark ride use them as an example of what dinosaurs don't actually look like, and how science has evolved to show that.

DDLand

I agree with your essay there, DDLand, but...

latest
Oh absolutely, but keep in mind that the Yeti is a part of the culture's understanding of nature. The Yeti, as Joe Rohde described it, is a metaphor for the untamed and wild aspects of nature to Himalayan cultures. It's a culture's way of making sense of the natural world and showing respect and reverence towards it. The Yeti is also an outgrowth of real animals and legends of animals. There actually were massive apes that used to roam Asia, and those echoes are still heard millennia later.

This is in contrast to an inherently out of context extinct creature, that isn't acknowledged as such, in the new Jungle Book. You're absolutely correct that there is a time and a place for the legends and stories of natives cultures to be part of Disney's Animal Kingdom, but they have to be in context like Dinoland, and BK, AND Everest. ;)

999th Happy Haunt

Idea for a gentle Dino dark ride: Using either omnimover or trackless, take guest back in time to the Jurassic period then time jump to the Cretaceous period (for bigger dinosaur variety) for a slow moving tour with narration from one of the Dino institute scientist explaining the dinosaurs you're seeing. Pretty much what would happen on dinosaur if the scientist didn't take us to the extinction to save a dinosaur and the tour went smoothly. Basically indoor Kilimanjaro safaris with Dinosaurs.

ToTBellHop

That's why they have a sandpit. The kids will grow up to ride Dinosaur.
The Dig Site and its associated playground is phenomenal for kids. And for the record, my kids are 4 and already tall enough (and enjoy!) Dinosaur. Disney has always been very kind to families with its height requirements.

As for putting kids on Dinosaur, like other rides, it's all about parental marketing. We never suggested that it was scary. We said it is dark and you get to see cool dinos but they aren't real. That worked for the kids and they love it. Try as I may, we lost the battle on Tower of Terror, unfortunately. It's too genuinely creepy. Maybe when they are older! Every other 40" ride was a hit for them, so I'll take the win.

Tay

Jungle Book and or Tarzan E tickets would be cool. A Lion King/Guard TSL level miniland for families would also be great. Have a pride rock playground and Timon and Pumbaa train or kiddie coaster.

EricsBiscuit

Maybe a land between Pandora and Harambe that is about how wild life is involved with stories and how we can learn lessons from them. That'd be a good place to shoehorn in Jungle Book and the other stuff.

doctornick

WDW1974 drops some info that is relevant for this thread...

As to Dinoland or more apt, Dinorama and the space available around it, nothing has been firmly approved ... BUT ... providing Pandora does the trick and actually turns DAK into the 'full day park' that it really has been all the time, except for people who want to ride Space Mountain 13 times in a day, it is very likely. As to what will happen, plans can (and do) change. But what is likely is Disney resurrecting a name from the past, using a concept from another park in the past that was never built, and updating it with new tech and some old friends.

tokelazor

The Dig Site and its associated playground is phenomenal for kids. And for the record, my kids are 4 and already tall enough (and enjoy!) Dinosaur. Disney has always been very kind to families with its height requirements.

As for putting kids on Dinosaur, like other rides, it's all about parental marketing. We never suggested that it was scary. We said it is dark and you get to see cool dinos but they aren't real. That worked for the kids and they love it. Try as I may, we lost the battle on Tower of Terror, unfortunately. It's too genuinely creepy. Maybe when they are older! Every other 40" ride was a hit for them, so I'll take the win.

That's great to hear, I wasn't so fortunate on our last trip with my 4 year old. He was all excited to go on the "car ride" (Test Track). I told him how it's dark at times and it goes fast, but to remember "daddy went faster on the drive to disney". He was still in high spirits about it, but it all went bad when I thought it would be a good idea to film his reaction. During that first part (the speedup to the turn without the ABS in the original) he got so jostled and banged around because I didn't steady him through the turn. After that he was completely over trying any rides that were enclosed for the rest of the trip.

Teacups, dumbo, and the carousel for us. Next time I'll think it through a little more....

All and all though he still had a great time.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I know it is seen as lame, but I think they should keep Dinoland. We need to have options when it comes to attractions. They need to build on new land at Animal Kingdom rather than just repurposing. This way we don't have the same amount of attractions to choose from.

I do too. But I think Dinoland needs a reimagining. The concept of the land never worked. Convoluted backstory. And the carny rides were never a big draw. IMO, they should drop them, keep the dig site and add the Excavator coaster. Bring in a rope course/jungle gym attraction, Disney Junior's Gigantosaurus Dance Party/MnG, a "Walking with Dinosaurs" Theater show and maybe an aerial flyer ride of some kind.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom