Mysterious Monorail Work

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Maybe I'm paranoid after 9/11, but perhaps their strengthening them in case of something more sinister since they're all in areas that can be easily accessed by a vehicle, or a vehicle can be parked near them.:lookaroun

I wonder if this is for a post-9/11 security measure or is related to last year's monorail crash. In 2004 they installed anti-vehicle protection guarding against unauthorized backstage access (props to Martin for the info) in light of the terrorist attacks on 9/11.

Are you two the same person??? :lol:

Maybe they're preparing for the 9th anniversary, in 11 days. Or maybe they're just following recommendations from OSHA/NTSB that we never heard about, suggesting that they better protect the pylons.

:shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's it!!!! In the words of Mr. Obvious' first time caller, "Heh, never made the connection."

Every one of those pylons is near live transportation. They're going to protect them from vehicular collisions. I imagine they'll be putting in sturdier pipe bollards (those red posts in the Epcot pics) that destroy a car before the car gets to the concrete.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the accident or government reports, or if this is just something they've decided to do on their own. Seems like a completely unrelated issue, but I guess it could be classified as a deficiency in monorail safety.
I would agree. As soon as I looked at your maps (great work by the way) the first thing that appeared in my head were crash barriers.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I would agree. As soon as I looked at your maps (great work by the way) the first thing that appeared in my head were crash barriers.

I just WISH that had been what popped in my head, but I never really got a chance to see them all at once until I posted the pics on here :lol:

I guess they're not concerned with trams around the TTC, since there are still exposed pylons in that open space SW of the TTC, between it and the Poly. Perhaps phase 2.

nolatron

Are you two the same person??? :lol:

Maybe they're preparing for the 9th anniversary, in 11 days. Or maybe they're just following recommendations from OSHA/NTSB that we never heard about, suggesting that they better protect the pylons.

:shrug:

I'm thinking this is based on either OSHA/NTSB or just internal recommendations to increase the pylon/beam protection to prevent another major catastrophe.

If it was 9/11 related I would have to think this work would've been done years ago.

I'm just surprised these pylons have gone this long without any crash protection.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just WISH that had been what popped in my head, but I never really got a chance to see them all at once until I posted the pics on here :lol:

I guess they're not concerned with trams around the TTC, since there are still exposed pylons in that open space SW of the TTC, between it and the Poly. Perhaps phase 2.
Phase 2 sounds reasonable. Also I think the trams would be considered rather low risk and protection from them would fall to a lower priority. They are driven at slow speeds on dedicated routes. The only way I could realistically see one hitting a pylon would be if they had to dodge a guest or if the driver passed out at the wheel.

Guest and CM driven cars are another matter entirely. Quite honestly I am surprised that a car has never hit one of these things in the last 39 years.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
This could also be related to the reworking of the toll booths and roadways in the Magic Kingdom area.

Well, a few of them may be attributed to that, but since they're being worked on down in Epcot too, it seems most likely that they're just "beefing up" the pylons that are around active guest/CM traffic for the sake of safety.

Foolish Mortal

Interseting read and photos. Disney higher up's must read these boards and think "what a bunch of geeks talking about and puttting up pictures of monorail work". :lol:

RunnerEd

Putting in the permanent "Jersey Barriers" or "K-rails" not only would protect the monorail beam supports, they are designed to keep the coliding vehicle from hitting whatever is being protected head on by deflecting it. This could not only protect the monorail system but also the occupants of the vehicle.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Putting in the permanent "Jersey Barriers" or "K-rails" not only would protect the monorail beam supports, they are designed to keep the coliding vehicle from hitting whatever is being protected head on by deflecting it. This could not only protect the monorail system but also the occupants of the vehicle.

And if they poured them in a circle (ring) around each pylon, they'd not only look a tiny bit nicer than a standard Jersey Barrier (rather than being just a box), but they'd deflect the cars to the side even more so, AND be able to absorb more impact before failing (since arches/circles/arcs/parabolas are stronger than any other shape)!

Great work as always Tom.

Thanks Steve!

Glasgow

It might be more economical to put in a circular concrete barrier but I'd think from a strength perspective the individual steel posts are probably just as strong (if not stronger) and much easier to replace (individual posts vs. solid concrete barrier). I could be way off on the strength thing though -- I know concrete walls are mighty sturdy and also help to distribute the load of a collision.

Regardless, nice work EdwardTC!! Interesting read.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
It might be more economical to put in a circular concrete barrier but I'd think from a strength perspective the individual steel posts are probably just as strong (if not stronger) and much easier to replace (individual posts vs. solid concrete barrier). I could be way off on the strength thing though -- I know concrete walls are mighty sturdy and also help to distribute the load of a collision.

Regardless, nice work EdwardTC!! Interesting read.

You're right that the posts (called bollards) are much cheaper to install and replace.

They can look nicer too, since you can slide colored plastic sleeves over them so they don't look like steel pipes filled with concrete (which is what they are). You can see the red PVC sleeves in the Epcot photos above. McDonalds has also been putting yellow PVC sleeves over their bollards at drive-thrus, which makes them look a lot nicer.

The ones they have around the Epcot pylons now are tiny and wouldn't withstand much more than 5 or 10 mph. Maybe they'll re-use those locations and install 6" or 8" diameter steel pipes, sunk about 3' into the ground, completely encased in concrete below grade, and filled with concrete above grade. Then top it off with a PVC sleeve colored to fit the environment.

Bluewaves

Amazing what a photo can tell you that a permit can't, I'm surprised they haven't done something sooner to protect those pylons, a couple of those look like they could be in area that could get by traffic moving at a pretty good clip too

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Amazing what a photo can tell you that a permit can't, I'm surprised they haven't done something sooner to protect those pylons, a couple of those look like they could be in area that could get by traffic moving at a pretty good clip too

Agreed. While most of them are in parking lots, and it would be unlikely for them to be struck by a vehicle moving more than 10-15mph (not impossible, unlikely), there are a number of them near "highways" and interchanges, where speeds are high and so is the risk of losing control of a vehicle.

The red bollards seen in the Epcot lot photos are definitely enough to prevent someone from damaging the pylon if they were just casually driving through the lot at a reasonable "parking lot" speed - but they wouldn't do any good if someone was speeding through the lot wrecklessly.

Rather than assess the risk for each pylon, they've probably just decided to protect all pylons that are within so many feet of vehicular traffic. Heck, the one at the Contemporary is outside the parking lot, and near the waterway, but someone could accelerate right into it if they didn't know how to operate their car (like the old ladies who routinely drive into shopping centers around here).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom