My "Pin Event" Trip

Gosh, it feels as if it has only been a few weeks since I last ended my report on my Mini Grand Tour. In any case, I'm about to leave very early tomorrow morning to fly off to WDW for an 9-day vacation.

There are two special items on this trip. First, on Tuesday morning, we will be doing the 2-hour Segway tour at Epcot. Thanks to everyone who had reported on this, we have decided to do this, so we are really looking forward to it.

Then starting on the 8th and running through till the 10th, it's the annual, largest pin event at WDW, to be held at the World Showplace in Epcot. This year's theme is "It All Started With ... Walt!" This will be the 2nd pin event that we are attending, so this time, we won't be so "ga ga" over the whole thing, and won't make the same mistakes that we did last year. We are already ensured of receiving several Random Selection pins when we get there, and can't wait to see all the goodies that we will get as part of attending this event. BTW, the event will be open to the public on Sunday the 10th at 11:00 am.

Anyway, as with the Mini Grand Tour report, I'll try to make daily reports with pictures whenever I can.

I just know that I won't be able to sleep tonight.....

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I did the segway tour also, Lamont was one of our trainers too. He was really funny and the tour guide, Michael called my fiancee and I, Speed Racer & Trixie. lol!

You have great pictures. I want whatever camera you have.

I may have had Lamont and Michael also, but I vaguely remember their names when I was doing the tour. Did you try to go faster than it will allow you? I did, and it felt like I would fall backwards because it was pushing back on me. :)

My camera is easily "haveable". :) It's a Canon SD500, one of those digital elphs. It's in my backpocket all the time.

Zz.

figment1985

I may have had Lamont and Michael also, but I vaguely remember their names when I was doing the tour. Did you try to go faster than it will allow you? I did, and it felt like I would fall backwards because it was pushing back on me. :)

My camera is easily "haveable". :) It's a Canon SD500, one of those digital elphs. It's in my backpocket all the time.

Zz.

Yeah they jokingly yelled at us a few times for going too fast. We were the youngest ones on the tour. When we stopped for the photo opt in Italy, I thought it would be funny if I flew towards the lake and I almost fell off of the segway because it pulled on me so hard. I was showing off because I felt like I had such a good hold of it.. wrroong... lol:hammer: It was funny though.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Happy 35th Birthday, Magic Kingdom!

mkxx1.jpg

With love and kisses...

Can't wait to hear IneedaWDWfix report. I hope he and his daughter find those pins! :)

Zz.

Double Z.....well, first the GOOD NEWS, my daughter found a CM with the Lumpy pin! It took just 2 days to find this one---my daughter is (still) excited over this find.

Now for your news, or the BAD news....I stopped at several places and checked numerous CM's, but NO luck with the 3 pins that you were hoping that I could locate. I had printed the photos and carried them with me. At the Polynesian, just outside of Trader Jack's, I was speaking to the CM, her name was Valerie (she is from California) and she has, in my opinion, excellent pin knowledge; in fact, she was surprised to see the Lumpy pin. Anyway, a guest came up to us, asked what I was looking for and I showed her the photos---she just started to laugh and said "Good luck!" She, too, was hoping to locate those same pins, no to mention dozens of others.

Valerie did have several Tupperware bins just full of pins near the cash register. The female guest that I mentioned above did find a few pins that she was looking for in those bins----maybe try this location in the future.

The Segway tour was excellent! Our guides were Ed and Brad. I would definitely recommend this tour for anyone, though I feel, just one time is enough.

Hope the info can be utilized in the near future and MANY THANKS for your advice. Oh yeah, some CM's did not want to trade the Disney Store pins, though they were willing to trade other pins. My daughter was able to trade some of her Disney Store pins, but not all of them. A few CM's did say that they do not have to trade Limited Edition pins for "common" pins. Hey--I really don't care--I am just happy that my daughter found what she was really looking for and that she had fun just looking and trading her pins!!

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Double Z.....well, first the GOOD NEWS, my daughter found a CM with the Lumpy pin! It took just 2 days to find this one---my daughter is (still) excited over this find.

That is good news. I didn't know such a pin existed, but then again, I haven't been looking too hard for it.

Now for your news, or the BAD news....I stopped at several places and checked numerous CM's, but NO luck with the 3 pins that you were hoping that I could locate. I had printed the photos and carried them with me. At the Polynesian, just outside of Trader Jack's, I was speaking to the CM, her name was Valerie (she is from California) and she has, in my opinion, excellent pin knowledge; in fact, she was surprised to see the Lumpy pin. Anyway, a guest came up to us, asked what I was looking for and I showed her the photos---she just started to laugh and said "Good luck!" She, too, was hoping to locate those same pins, no to mention dozens of others.

Honestly, I would have been SHOCKED if you found even one of them. The best chance you would have had would have been the Mickey pin, since I have seen those around. I have not personally seen the rest.

Valerie did have several Tupperware bins just full of pins near the cash register. The female guest that I mentioned above did find a few pins that she was looking for in those bins----maybe try this location in the future.

I might just do that. They have a pin-trading table at World of Disney around 2:30 pm or so on certain days that you can trade with a cast member having a large collection of good pins. This is where I tend to hang out whenever I'm there at that time.

The Segway tour was excellent! Our guides were Ed and Brad. I would definitely recommend this tour for anyone, though I feel, just one time is enough.

I know what you mean. I think the next one we might try is another backstage tour of some kind. We did Keys to the Magic Kingdom already, so we're ready for another one soon.

Hope the info can be utilized in the near future and MANY THANKS for your advice. Oh yeah, some CM's did not want to trade the Disney Store pins, though they were willing to trade other pins. My daughter was able to trade some of her Disney Store pins, but not all of them. A few CM's did say that they do not have to trade Limited Edition pins for "common" pins. Hey--I really don't care--I am just happy that my daughter found what she was really looking for and that she had fun just looking and trading her pins!!

That is very strange. The Disney Store pins are valid, legal disney pins. Unless they already have the identical pins on their lanyards, I don't think they can refuse a trade. And there's no such thing as not trading limited edition pins for common pins. We trade common pins with "valuable pins" all the time - that's the whole point of pin trading with cast members, to trade UP. So I wonder who are these cast members that you encountered.....

In any case, I'm glad your daughter enjoyed her pin trading activities, and that she got a Lumpy pin. Like I said before, a lot of the attraction to pin collecting is the trading aspect, and the meeting of new people. This is what makes pin trading so much fun for us "amateurs", as opposed to those who do this big time and probably make a living out of it.

Speaking of which, I really should start sorting out and cataloging the pins that I got from this trip.... they are all still in bags! :(

Zz.

The "trading up" for pin quality was the thinking that I tried to get my daughter to follow, but she just wanted pins that she liked. She probably does have some "valuable" pins, but they are mostly just favorite pins for what they look like. That is fine with me. Most of our pin trading was with the CM's who were with the characters, as we would be in lines for photos and autographs. They were generally pretty nice about letting us know that they couldn't trade some of their limited edition/cast member exclusive pins for pins that my daughter had----admittedly, they were mostly Disney Store pins she tried to offer. She was able to trade some of the DS pins for other pins, however, and, in fact, one CM let my daughter trade 1 DS pin for 2 CM pins---now that made my daughter feel like a real champ. That CM was Jenna and she was working at the Jungle Cruise. I guess it is all in the delivery and it depends on the mood of the CM. Once again, no bother at all to us.

Main Street USA

I know I'm late jumping in on your report, ZZ, but you did a really great job! It's great to see a passionate trip report about all things WDW. The Pin Trading is something I've never really been into, but I can honestly say, after reading your report and your exchange with IneedaWDWfix, I completely understand the hobby. The depth of it amazes me. You certainly seem to be an expert.

My mom has been into collecting pins for about 6 years now, and she has a nice collection going, but she's never really been into trading much. She'll trade with a CM now and then, but that's about it.

Anywho, just thought I'd share my satisfaction with your report and your pin trading passion. It made my night. :)

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I know I'm late jumping in on your report, ZZ, but you did a really great job! It's great to see a passionate trip report about all things WDW. The Pin Trading is something I've never really been into, but I can honestly say, after reading your report and your exchange with IneedaWDWfix, I completely understand the hobby. The depth of it amazes me. You certainly seem to be an expert.

My mom has been into collecting pins for about 6 years now, and she has a nice collection going, but she's never really been into trading much. She'll trade with a CM now and then, but that's about it.

Anywho, just thought I'd share my satisfaction with your report and your pin trading passion. It made my night. :)

Wow! What a nice thing to say! Thank you very much for that, Main Street.

I'm doing this simply as a "repayment" for all the trip reports that I've read on here that either had put a smile on my face, or were simply a lot of fun. I figured that since I got a lot of joy out of them, that I should return that in kind. Furthermore, and this is the selfish aspect on my part, writing my trip report even long after the trip has ended somehow prolonged the joy and excitement I felt while I was going through it. It sounds crazy, I know, but I get to relive the fond memories of such trips by sharing it on here.

I also decided to focus on the pin event in particular because that was one aspect that I haven't seen reported before, probably because the pin addicts on here are smart enough not to reveal how far they have slid down the slippery slope! :) I wish I had thought of reporting on this last year when we attended our first pin event, but hey, at least I put up the pictures of that one. :)

Again, thanks for the kind words. Those are cherries on top of a very happy ice cream sundae. :wave:

Zz.

Gucci65

Awesome trip report!!:sohappy:

Pin trading is awesome, but I gotta tell you that when I see those people pulling their suitcases full of pins - I get creeped out.

About five years ago, we "met" this creepy pin-trading-suitcase-toting-man on the monorial while on our way to MK. Then we seen him in the park a few times. He kept wanting some pin my daughter had, but she was unwilling to give it up since it was the first pin she ever received (and from her Grandfather who was with us). When we left the park, he was there in the All Star line to get on the bus. Ten minutes after entering our room, we get a knock on the door. Guess who it was? Mister Creepy - he really wanted this pin and was uping his offer. My Dad asked him if he was staying at this resort and he was dumb enough to say no. My Dad walked over to the phone and called the front desk and told them we had been followed back to our room. Mr. Creepy left and CM's who arrived told us that some pin traders get carried away like that.

Carried away is putting it lightly.......he followed us back to our room!!!

Anyway, I'm glad you had a good time and good luck with your pin event.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Awesome trip report!!:sohappy:

Pin trading is awesome, but I gotta tell you that when I see those people pulling their suitcases full of pins - I get creeped out.

About five years ago, we "met" this creepy pin-trading-suitcase-toting-man on the monorial while on our way to MK. Then we seen him in the park a few times. He kept wanting some pin my daughter had, but she was unwilling to give it up since it was the first pin she ever received (and from her Grandfather who was with us). When we left the park, he was there in the All Star line to get on the bus. Ten minutes after entering our room, we get a knock on the door. Guess who it was? Mister Creepy - he really wanted this pin and was uping his offer. My Dad asked him if he was staying at this resort and he was dumb enough to say no. My Dad walked over to the phone and called the front desk and told them we had been followed back to our room. Mr. Creepy left and CM's who arrived told us that some pin traders get carried away like that.

Carried away is putting it lightly.......he followed us back to our room!!!

Anyway, I'm glad you had a good time and good luck with your pin event.

Whoa! That WAS creepy.

I don't consider myself as a "serious" collector. I collect simply because I like the pins that I got. Besides, since I don't live near WDW, and I refuse to buy pins online, it is pointless in trying to get every single pin that I like. So that already limits how many pins I can get.

At these pin events, I always feel as if I'm just an amateur at these things, simply because I don't have large suitcases, or bags and bags of pins. We typically go to these things with just 2 small packs that we wear on our belts for the "good quality" pins to trade with pin collectors. This is in addition to "throw-away" pins that we would use for trading with cast members.

As I've said before, these pins come with fond memories. I think stalking someone just to get a pin does not qualify as "fond memories", at least not in my book.

:D

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
We videotaped this particular Jungle Cruise ride. So you can see (and hear) Luisa in action. Like I said, she was terrfic and did her spiel (and ad lib) with enthusiasm. Hope she can keep it up.

Jungle Cruise

OK, so this may be true or not, but I'm inclined to believe it is.

I mentioned during this last trip that we had a terrific Jungle Cruise skipper by the name of "Luisa". She was the best skipper that I can remember because she ad libed quite a bit. Luckily, we happened to videotaped this particular ride, so you can judge for yourself.

Now, I was checking all the videos that I uploaded and lo and behold, there was this comment left on that Jungle Cruise video uploade page:

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Erm...if I said I enjoyed the video would that be boastful? I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise, I try ;-)

It was signed by "Louisa"!

You can read the comment for yourself on that video page. When I saw this, I said "WHOA!" So I wrote my reply comment hoping that if this is really her, that she should know that she did VERY well on that Jungle Cruise.

If it is really her, and she knew how much she was appreciated, then it has made my day!! :)

Zz.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Gucci65

I have two more questions for you:

(1) do you display your pins or put them up in books

(2) did you have any problem bringing them onto the plane on the way home?or where they safe just tucked away in your suitcase?

just curious:wave:

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I have two more questions for you:

(1) do you display your pins or put them up in books

Both. I have pin albums that I keep under a large coffee table. That way, I can look at it often, or show them to guests who want to look at them.

I also have a few on display on shelves. This is true for the jumbo pins that occupy way to much space in pin albums. Besides, they come in very decorative boxes, so I don't want to pull them out to go into the pin albums.

Because I have simply too many jumbo pins to be displayed all at once, I rotate them every so often. So my friends that come and visit regularly always make a beeline to these display shelves to see what's new. :)

(2) did you have any problem bringing them onto the plane on the way home?or where they safe just tucked away in your suitcase?

just curious:wave:

Keep in mind that we don't travel with pin books or anything like that at all other than the small pin "pouch" that we attach to our belts. So we don't really bring with us a lot of pins. Most of them tend to go into our check-in luggage. However, we do have some pins on lanyards that we bring in our carry-on. So far, they haven't caused any difficulties through security. Then again, we usually have maybe 4 or 5 pins on the lanyard at any given time.

Cheers!

Zz.

Gucci65

The display case sounds awesome!!

Traveling with pins: everytime we go we tuck the pins (usually 3 or 4 lanyards - my daughter wears two and her grandfather & I wear the other ones) in the suitcase and hope they don't get stolen. We figured we would not be able to travel with the pins on our lanyards (in our carry-on) due to all the restrictions since 9/11. Thanks for the info.:)

ZapperZ

Original Poster
IneedaWDWfix and Gucci65,

I think all three of us need to go to Disneyland and pick up this pin either for ourselves and/or for our kids.

11015671.jpg

:D

Zz.

Gucci65

Humm.. could you get your friend to buy a few of those, and maybe 1 or 2 others?
:lol::D

Zz

I actually spoke to her last night. She is taking her son to DL today for his birthday. I asked her if she found these pins (by chance, since she doesn't really care about them) if she could pick up 3 or 4.

SO - If she does I will send you a PM.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I actually spoke to her last night. She is taking her son to DL today for his birthday. I asked her if she found these pins (by chance, since she doesn't really care about them) if she could pick up 3 or 4.

SO - If she does I will send you a PM.

Whoa! If you can get a couple for me, I'll owe you one!

:)

Zz.

Gucci65

Haven't heard anything yet, but then again its only 5am out there.:lol:

Will definately let you know when I hear from her.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom