My "Pin Event" Trip

Gosh, it feels as if it has only been a few weeks since I last ended my report on my Mini Grand Tour. In any case, I'm about to leave very early tomorrow morning to fly off to WDW for an 9-day vacation.

There are two special items on this trip. First, on Tuesday morning, we will be doing the 2-hour Segway tour at Epcot. Thanks to everyone who had reported on this, we have decided to do this, so we are really looking forward to it.

Then starting on the 8th and running through till the 10th, it's the annual, largest pin event at WDW, to be held at the World Showplace in Epcot. This year's theme is "It All Started With ... Walt!" This will be the 2nd pin event that we are attending, so this time, we won't be so "ga ga" over the whole thing, and won't make the same mistakes that we did last year. We are already ensured of receiving several Random Selection pins when we get there, and can't wait to see all the goodies that we will get as part of attending this event. BTW, the event will be open to the public on Sunday the 10th at 11:00 am.

Anyway, as with the Mini Grand Tour report, I'll try to make daily reports with pictures whenever I can.

I just know that I won't be able to sleep tonight.....

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
[continue from previous post]

There were many upcoming pins to be released that were on display. Most of us can only drool at the pins we probably could not get. These are the ones to be released on the Disney Cruise Line.
IMG_5373.jpg

More great decorations surrounding various pin games.
IMG_5399.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

This is the pin trading area for various pin traders. Rows and rows of tables were filled with serious pin traders, displaying suitcases after suitcases of pins. If you can't find the pin that you want here, chances are, that pin doesn't exist.
IMG_5396.jpg

DisneyShopping.com had a lifesize display of Jack Skellington. It stood 7 feet tall, and it is DAMN IMPRESSIVE. If you have $599 to spend, it will be available at the end of Sept.
IMG_5417.jpg

At the pin event, there is a fictitious family called the Pin family (their last names are Pin). They're hysterical. They're loud, obnoxious, and can never win any games when competing against a real family. But we all love them, because when they come out, they wore lanyards with lots of sought-after pins. So the crowd made a bee-line towards them and do pin trading.
IMG_5415.jpg

In the end, it was an event to remember Walt, and that this was all started by a man with a vision and who dare to dream.
IMG_5425.jpg

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
We did more than just attend the pin event yesterday. In between the event, we managed to go on Soarin' again (this is like the 6th time already on this trip), with no wait! I think I'm getting to be a bit spoiled by all this almost no wait lines at all of these attractions.

After the pin event closed for the day at 6:00 pm, we had dinner at Marakesh, and then went to the Norway pavilion to ride Maelstorm.
IMG_5433.jpg

This is where a momentous occasion occured - after looking for it for what seems like forever, we finally found the hidden Mickey in the mural at the loading area of Maelstorm! :)

After Maelstorm, we made our way to our favorite place to the plaza at the entrance to World Showcase lagoon to stake our place for Illuminations. While waiting for Illuminations to start, when went around and took evening pictures. Here are a few of them. This is the view from where we staked our place looking across the lagoon at the American pavilion.
IMG_5438.jpg

This is Mouse Gear at night.
IMG_5448.jpg

This is of course, Spaceship Earth taken from the fountain leading to the World Showcase.
IMG_5443.jpg

We stayed for the Extra Magic Hours, and for the first time ever since we started attending one of these, it wasn't crowded (which seems to be the theme of this whole trip). We went on Test Track, which we have never done at night, did Spaceship Earth, and also the Character Greetings. Pinnochio was there to greet us, along with Mickey, Goofy, Pluto, and Donald.
IMG_5464.jpg

The one thing we missed before, mainly because we never walked in that direction at night when we were leaving Epcot, is that right in front of Innoventions West, there were these lighted patterns on the ground that kept coming in and out. There were pretty cool, so I took pictures of them.
IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5472.jpg

Today, our second to last day here at the Happiest Place on Earth, we'll go back to Epcot for the pin event. Today, we pick up several event gifts, watch the live pin auction where unbelievably big buck will be spent for one-of-a-kind pin sets, and the cake-cutting ceremony.

I can't believe my vacation is almost over. :(

Zz.

ilovepluto23

Thanks for sharing those pics, I'll have to look for those lights by Innoventions on my next trip (120 days...not coming soon enough!).

Enjoy the rest of your trip!:)

ZapperZ

Original Poster
SPOILER ALERT! At the end of this post, I'm going to post a picture of a hidden Mickey that we finally found at the Norway pavilion. So if you don't want to know, don't read the final part and look at the last 2 pictures.

We had a lovely, leisurely day today at the Pin event. We collected our commemorative gifts and spent the most of the morning and afternoon doing pin trading, playing the pin games, and basically just yakking it up with other attendees. Needless to say, it was a very enjoyable time, with many promises to keep in touch and to call up on each other when in town. Here are more pictures from the event.
IMG_5476.jpg

IMG_5490.jpg

Just outside of World Showplace where the event was held, I saw this sign that was cute enough to deserve a snap shot.
IMG_5501.jpg

We had lunch at the cafe in front of the Mexican pavilion. It was hot and humid, but it didn't mind it due to the lovely view.
IMG_5483.jpg

OK, now here comes the hidden Mickey alert. If you don't want to know and would like to find it yourself, skip the rest of this post.

Look at the occupants of the ship very closely.
IMG_5487.jpg

See it? Right behind the large Viking, there's a boat full of other vikings. One of them is wearing a Mickey ears hat! Still don't see it? Here's a closer look.
IMG_5488.jpg

We check out of our "home" tomorrow morning. I'll post some parting thoughts (maybe a picture or two) tomorrow morning before we check out. That will be my final transmission from the Happiest Place on Earth. I will report a bit more after we get back home. Expect more pictures AND, once I get to edit them, a few videos from this trip that will be uploaded to Google Video.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
This is my final report from the Happiest Place on Earth. I'll post more after I get back.

Today will be spent at Epcot again, especially in the morning, at the pin event. We have a few pins left for the pin games, and maybe try to hunt for a couple more pins that we have been looking for. If we have time, we'll try to make a quick hop to the Magic Kingdom before leaving for the airport early afternoon.

It has been a wonderful trip. We're sad that, after visiting WDW 4 times this year, that next year we will cut it down back to 2. So it will be a long time before we come back here again (tentatively set for June 2007).

Here are some parting pictures. The first is a view of part of our resort where we like to sit and have breakfast in the morning.
IMG_5365.jpg

The rooms on OKW on the upper floors have railings that have Mickey ears in them! Do these qualify as hidden Mickeys? :)
IMG_5474.jpg

We had a great time at Epcot with the pin event.
IMG_4867.jpg

We spent a lovely, magical day at the Magic Kingdom, and it continued into the night with Wishes.
IMG_5167.jpg

One of the major highlights of this trip was certainly our 2-hour Segway tour that we took. It was so much fun. I highly recommend it!
IMG_4873.jpg

Of course, the other highlight was the pin event. If you are not already a Disney pin collector, don't start! It's a very slippery slope. But if you are already, then you should try attending one of the pin events. It can be intimidating at first, but after you get the hang of it, it is also a lot of fun, and you meet many wonderful people.

That is all for now. Have a Magical Day, and see you after I get back!

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I used the manual setting for no flash, and ISO 100. The trick here is to use a tripod, and then set it for a 2 second delay, so that the camera doesn't vibrate due to your fingers.

Anyway, we are back home after battling rather nasty airport traffic here in Chicago. We spent the morning at Epcot, doing some last pin trading, and then hopped over to the Magic Kingdom to do, of all things, Donald Duck rubber ducky hunting (don't ask... I'll tell all about it later). Magic Kingdom was busy, but not as busy as would expect on a Sunday. If we get a day like this in June, people would say that MK wasn't busy at all.

The one thing I did notice on this trip, and especially today, was that the gold decorations on the castle was slowly being stripped away. When we got here early in the week, you still see figures of Wendy etc. flying around the top of the castle. Today, there were gone. A few other decorations were also missing. So certainly, the Happiest Celebration of Earth is clearly winding down to make way for Million Dreams.

Will report more, and pictures, after I recover.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
The one thing I did notice on this trip, and especially today, was that the gold decorations on the castle was slowly being stripped away. When we got here early in the week, you still see figures of Wendy etc. flying around the top of the castle. Today, there were gone. A few other decorations were also missing. So certainly, the Happiest Celebration of Earth is clearly winding down to make way for Million Dreams.

Of course, after I said this, I just noticed that John Frost at The Disney Blog reported on this almost a week ago.

http://www.thedisneyblog.com/tdb/2006/09/magic_kingdom_c.html

I wonder if we'll have the old castle back, or if they're going to put new decorations for the new celebration.

Zz.

cpcpjfan

Fantastic reading and outstanding pictures. My son had really taken to the pin's on our last trip. He isn't at the point that he wants to trade any, but he definitely gets pin envy when seeing some of the people with stacked lanyards around the park.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
The one thing I suddenly realized about me at WDW is how "protective" I am of the place. I was sitting at Epcot while biting into one of Mickey's ears of a Mickey Premium ice cream when I saw this girl, oh probably about 8 or 9, walking by and snapping a flower off and taking it with her. I was aghast at what I saw and I almost wanted to yell at her "Stop that! What do you think you're doing?!", but I didn't. I mean, I'm always miffed when I see someone litters no matter where I'm at, but I was truly annoyed at this little girl for ruining "my" magical place.

She probably didn't know any better, and if I had yelled at her, I'd probably gotten into an ugly scene with her parents (and we will probably have another "I had an altercation" string on here :lol:). However, I think I'm beginning to notice that I am probably getting to be protective (overly?) of the place. I think this self-realization is probably good since I'd probably try to remember this and not over-react when something like this occur.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Fantastic reading and outstanding pictures. My son had really taken to the pin's on our last trip. He isn't at the point that he wants to trade any, but he definitely gets pin envy when seeing some of the people with stacked lanyards around the park.

Thank you.

My advice to you is that if your son does decides that he wants to start pin collecting, is to choose a theme from the very beginning and stick with it. If he likes Mickey, let's say, then collects only pins with Mickey on it. Or if he likes a particular attraction, then collect only pins with that attraction. This way, it makes it more fun to go hunting for pins, not to mention, it won't make him buy everything in sight that he "likes".

My other advice here is that (and this is where e-bay and disney online shopping won't like me) don't buy pins online. While I do have a lot of pins, I'd say 99% of them I bought myself while I'm there at the park, or via trading with cast members and other pin collectors. I can almost remember when I buy such-and-such pin, and what is move valuable to me is the memory associated with each pin, especially the important ones. Almost all of the important pins that I have, I have fond memories of the trip to Disney. You and your son could remind each other where you got so-and-so pin, etc. It is part of your memory of your trip, and to me, that is more important than the piece of metal. You don't get such fond memories when you buy things online. And besides, when you start buying online, where do you stop?

The pins that I got from this pin event trip, I will cherish forever. I made many new friends from this event, and I had very fond memories of the whole thing. I will forever treasure the pin we got at the end of our Segway tour, not because it is a rare pin that many people do not have, but it reminds me of one of the most fun activities we have ever done at WDW. I believe that, in the end, this is what one should cherish the most.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
This is the report from our final day at WDW.

We started out at Epcot, doing last minute pin games and pin trading. We left by the time they opened the event to the general public at 11:00 am. We hopped onto the monorail to to the Transportation Center and then off to the Magic Kingdom. This is the main vehicle entrance into the Magic Kingdom as seen from the Epcot monorail.
IMG_5508.jpg

We got a chance to see them performing the "trolley song" right on Main Street, USA.
IMG_5514.jpg

This is a closer view of the top of the Castle on that day. Notice that there are no more flying "people". :)
IMG_5521.jpg

I have never noticed this before, but outside of Exposition Hall, there is this ... er ... "thing" that calls itself Goofy "Dose-A-Matic Device".
IMG_5560.jpg

We then made our way back to Epcot (since we parked there, and we had time to go in and do one trip on Spaceship Earth). On the monorail from MK to the Transportation Center, we AGAIN got to sit in front with the monorail pilot. So this is the picture as we're about to pull out of the MK monorail station heading towards the Grand Floridian.
IMG_5563.jpg

Now, we don't ride the Epcot monorail that often, so we never noticed this before either. But as the monorail pass Spaceship Earth, makes it way across the entrance to World Showcase and about to pull in to the station, on your right side, you get a rather elaborate glimps of a backstage area! In fact, depending on how fast your monorail is going, you get a rather extensive and good look at the backstage. This is so unlike Disney. You'd think they would have either put more trees or build a tall wall at this point. But not, there it is, for all the guests to see.
IMG_5574.jpg

Zz.

Jerm

Now, we don't ride the Epcot monorail that often, so we never noticed this before either. But as the monorail pass Spaceship Earth, makes it way across the entrance to World Showcase and about to pull in to the station, on your right side, you get a rather elaborate glimps of a backstage area! In fact, depending on how fast your monorail is going, you get a rather extensive and good look at the backstage. This is so unlike Disney. You'd think they would have either put more trees or build a tall wall at this point. But not, there it is, for all the guests to see.
IMG_5574.jpg

Zz.

Actually that is very like Disney. The first monorail here at Disneyland actually goes outside of the park along the backstage area for a good amount of its time after leaving the park. But EPCOT unlike Disneyland has some type of trees or something to kinda block it out. Here at DL you see it all.

BTW I love your trip report! As a pin trader yours was one of the only ongoing reports from the event.

J

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Actually that is very like Disney. The first monorail here at Disneyland actually goes outside of the park along the backstage area for a good amount of its time after leaving the park. But EPCOT unlike Disneyland has some type of trees or something to kinda block it out. Here at DL you see it all.

I suppose that is correct for Disneyland. I did remember seeing the backstage area of Disneyland while on a monorail. I think that is part of the problem that Walt noticed, including the fact that cast members in costumes in one theme land had to walk through another theme land to get to where they wanted to go.

However, these are what he tried to correct at WDW, starting with MK. The backstage area throughout WDW is well-hidden from the guests most of the time. So seeing the backstage area here over at Epcot is highly unusual, and I don't think it was intended. This is also why it was unusual to see the "unfinished" side of Expedition Everest mountain from the Animal Kngdom parking area - things like these are not expected at WDW.

BTW I love your trip report! As a pin trader yours was one of the only ongoing reports from the event.

J

Thank you! :)

There are more to come regarding the pin event, especially on the Mystery Pin sets that, by the last day, truly became a frenzy, and how we got two complete sets of it and became the envy of many. :)

Zz.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I have never noticed this before, but outside of Exposition Hall, there is this ... er ... "thing" that calls itself Goofy "Dose-A-Matic Device".
IMG_5560.jpg
Goofy's Pose-a-Matic Device

It's designed so that one tall person and one short person stand under each of his hands that are holding the mickey ears. :wave:

Never have noticed the behind the scenes view, perhaps they lost some trees during the hurricanes? (shrugs)

Great trip report.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Goofy's Pose-a-Matic Device

It's designed so that one tall person and one short person stand under each of his hands that are holding the mickey ears. :wave:

Hehehe... you're right! I just realized late last night what it was. It makes sense since it is situated right outside the place where you pick up your park photos.

Now I'm eager to go back next time to stick my head under one of those Mickey ears hat and have my picture taken. :)

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I'm cataloging all the pictures that I took from this trip (I've yet to start video editing, which I don't think I'll get to till this weekend). Needless to say, I took a lot of pictures.

So here are some random pictures from this trip which, hopefully, I haven't used already.

Can't start a WDW picture recollection without Expedition Everest, can we?
IMG_4610.jpg

I took a quick snapshot of the loading process at Soarin'. Picture quality isn't as good since I was in a hurry and the camera wasn't set properly.
IMG_4784.jpg

While we were walking around Disney/MGM Studios, a couple of the "cast" from Pixar's Cars were around for a photo opportunity.
IMG_4693.jpg

The spinning Globe in Illuminations during the day. It still looks rather impressive.
IMG_4861.jpg

About to slide down Slippin' Falls during Splash Mountain. We rode it a total of 5 times during this trip. LOVE IT!!
IMG_4942.jpg

[continue in next post]

ZapperZ

Original Poster
[continue from previous post]

In the briefing room for Test Track, they have a picture showing the aerial view of the Test Track facility.
IMG_4811.jpg

Waiting for Illuminations to start...
IMG_5442.jpg

Dust at the Magic Kingdom, looking at the entrance to Tomorrowland, while waiting for Wishes. It was a gorgeous evening.
IMG_5155.jpg

A few of the hordes of pin traders at Disney's Pin Celebration.
IMG_5500.jpg

Goodnight from the Magic Kingdom.
IMG_5272.jpg

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
This report will be on the pins that we got as part of the pin event. It will not include the pin we got during pin trading with other attendees (that would be horrendously long!).

We received 2 pins as part of our registration on the first day. First was a welcome pin, and the other was the early bird pin since we registered online early before the deadline.

We then picked up our merchandise that we have ordered as part of our Random Selection Process (RSP). This is the process where, a few weeks before you arrive, you enter online the items you want to buy, which are in limited (some VERY limited, like 10) quantities. Then all the requests will be randomly selected. Your chances of getting what you want depends on the edition size, and how many people selected that same item.

For me, all of the regular size pins that I selected, I got, so that made me happy. These are the pins (a few, I got multiples of since there were 3 RSPs before the event):
IMG_5591.jpg

The jumbo pins were more difficult to get, since the edition numbers were usually smaller (often they were just 200, or 250, or 500). I think I did not get one of the jumbo pins that I requested. Here are the ones that I did get:
IMG_5575.jpg

We didn't go overboard as what we did last year. So compare to that, we actually bought a rather small quantity. We certainly bought one of the smallest quantity when compared to what others around us were buying. Some were leaving with large shopping bags, and boxes and boxes of stuff (those were either the framed sets, or the boxed set). We did, however, have one framed set that we got in our final RSP, the 4th RSP, which we submitted during our registration process. That framed set is, hopefully, being shipped to us as we speak (we weren't going to risk damaging it by bringing it back in our luggage).

The one item that was being sold at the event that I have mentioned before that became a small frenzy was the Mystery pin set. There were these sealed tins that contained 4 pins, randomly selected out of a set containing a total of 10 different pins. To make it even more frustrating, each pin in this set have different edition number. Pin #1, which is Pluto, only has an edition number of 200. Pin #2, which is Goofy, has an edition number of 400. The same with #3 Stitch. Pin #4 (Chip) and Pin #5 (Dale) has edition number of 600. Pin #6 is Daisy with an edition number of 800. Pin #7 (Mickey) and Pin #8 (Minnie) are 1000. Pin #9 (Tinkerbel) and #10 (Donald) are 1500.

So as you can already guess, even if you buy multiple tins of these, there's no guarantee that you'll get a complete set. When we filled up our RSP, my partner and I each bought 3 tins (that's all you can get when you are given 3 RSPs). So when we got our merchandise, we sat down, and opened all 6 pins. If you've read my report, you'll know that people were hovering behind us as we were opening the tins. As luck would have it, between the 6 tins, we got one complete set! We had only one Pluto and one Goofy pin, but 2 Stitch pins. A girl asked to trade one of the Stitch pin with a Daisy, and we did.

Surprisingly enough, these tins were still available to be purchased. So we thought, with all the frenzy, we might get a few more and use them for trading. So we bought 4 more. When we opened the 4 tins, and combined with the duplicates of what we already had from the first 6, we discovered that we ALMOST had ANOTHER complete set, but we're missing the Stitch! So of course, I was then regretting that I traded the Stitch away. We didn't plan on collecting a second set, since we didn't think we were going to be lucky enough to find another Pluto (which, by the way, was THE most sought-after pin at that event by then). So we thought, what the hell, let's buy 2 more tins and see what happened. We did, and still, no Stitch. However, we did get another Goofy, and 2 Dales. I decided to sit on Goofy and will only trade that with a Stitch. By then, we weren't telling others that we were working on our 2nd set, because there were people walking around still looking to complete their first set.

While we were in line for the various pin games, and doing pin tradings with others, we made sure people around us knew that we're looking for Stitch. We traded away several Tink pins, and even Dale pins were sought after, and we got very good pins in return, many were pins that were parts of sets that we were trying to complete.

Sure enough, while I was sitting down in between pin games, one of the nicest person we met during the event also sat down near me. I asked her if she had any new lead on the Piglet pin that I was looking for (it was from the cast lanyard series 3 and I've been looking for it for a couple of years). She didn't have any lead, she said. She also said that she's looking for the Goofy pin. I said, "Oh? You don't happen to have a Stitch pin, do you?" She replied "Why yes!" So I took out from my pocket the Goofy pin. She almost had a heart attack!

Needless to say, we quickly traded pins. So we now own two complete sets of the Mystery pins. A few people started hearing about it later in the event, and they jokingly (at least, I think they were joking) said they hated us. :) We didn't mind.

This is the picture of the tin, with the full complete set of 10 pins.
IMG_5582.jpg

Incidentally, on the last day of the pin event (by then the tin sets were all sold out), someone told me that a Goofy pin already appeared on e-bay, with a starting bid of $40. I wonder how much someone will pay for the entire set? :)

The other racket.... er ... I mean, enticement that they had for the event is that if you buy a certain amount from your RSP 1,2, and 3, you are entitle to buy a limited edition pin for $3. If you bought in the next range, you can buy that pin, and another different pin, each for $3. etc.. etc. My purchases qualified me to buy 4 different pins, and I did. These pins are special because each one of them have Mickey, and a portrait of Walt. (I'm a sucker for such pins). These are the 4 pins:
IMG_5592.jpg

As part of our registration, we were given commemorative pins as parting gifts. While I was a bit disappointed with the ones we got from last year, I don't have that feeling this year. The parting pins were terrific. It includes one jumbo pin, and a box pin set. Here they are:
IMG_5580.jpg

The jumbo pin on the left is a spinner. The wheel spins.

All in all, it was a wonderful event, and we had a great time. We got a lot of pins from trading, and a few good pins from the pin games (I think I gotno less than 8 Artist Choice pins from the pin games alone). I know have to start thinking how to display these pins.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Today was a FANTASTIC, MAGICAL day at WDW.

First, we started the morning by doing the Segway tour. The first hour started off with an intense lesson on using the Segway, including moving forward and backward, turning, going up and down a ramp, going in between cones without hitting them, etc. The 2nd hour was a lot of fun, we went around World Showcase, hitting every country and going in an out of various tricky path. The one in Japan was rather difficult, but all of us made it through. The instructor also gave us several trivia about each country. We got to take pictures by Italy.
IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4874.jpg

We ended back where we started, in Innoventions. A special pin was given to everyone who completed the tour. Let me tell ya, it was one of the most fun activities we have ever done. Highly recommended!

I guess we were lucky when we did that at that time. Segway just put a recall on all of their vehicles!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/ap_on_bi_ge/segway_recall

I'm guessing that Disney will stop both the short intro and the 2-hour tour due to this till they get the repaired Segways back. What a bummer. I highly recommend taking those two (the first one, the short intro, is free). It was a lot of fun.

Zz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom