More places to get beer and wine at the Magic Kingdom

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think many people are losing the concept here; it is not to have free flowing booze throughout the Magic Kingdom. From what I was told that it will only be at seat down restaurants and only wine and beer. I would love to join my wife once in a while for a drink with diner when we go out, but I am always driving. When I am on vacation at Walt Disney World I have Disney buses to take me back to my resort, so it would be nice to have a drink with diner.

The problem is that 'free flowing booze' is exactly the goal here if you had free flowing booze you could add tens of millions to the MK's bottom line which is the only factor those in Burbank are taking into account, The Beer/Wine with TS is simply the camel's nose and as such it needs to be nipped in the bud.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
The problem is that 'free flowing booze' is exactly the goal here if you had free flowing booze you could add tens of millions to the MK's bottom line which is the only factor those in Burbank are taking into account, The Beer/Wine with TS is simply the camel's nose and as such it needs to be nipped in the bud.

I do think you any facts to base this on. If the goal was free flowing booze I think that you would be able to right now get something to drink outside of Beauty and the Beast. There is a tavern night store that does not sell booze.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I do think you any facts to base this on. If the goal was free flowing booze I think that you would be able to right now get something to drink outside of Beauty and the Beast. There is a tavern night store that does not sell booze.

Simple psychology If Disney announced tomorrow that alcohol was for sale everywhere in the MK, The PR blowback would be EPIC the business press would talk about the 'blatant money grab', schools would cancel class trips to MK, Preachers would condemn it from their pulpits, MADD would be on the warpath,

On the other hand if you slow roll the alcohol sales with a new restaurant every month or so and then sales of beer and wine on the ODV carts one at a time no one notices anything at all it for all intents and purposes would be like alcohol was for sale all along.

Personally, I'd love a shot of rum with a Dole Whip float, But I think that with the overcrowded MK alcohol sales are a bad idea which will result in tragedy sooner than later.

Mr. Peabody

Wake up people, it is a money grab.
Money grab or not, this a change that will increase guest satisfaction.

They should embrace what makes the Magic Kingdom different to other amusement parks, including theirown other three parks, all of which sell alcohol, but interestingly have way lower attendance. It would make more business sense perhaps if they were trying to make the other three parks more like MK, not the other way around.
That is an incredible abuse of statistics. MK has the highest attendance of the WDW theme parks because it has the most popular attractions, the highest number of attractions and entertainment, nostalgia, and a unique stature in American pop culture (along with its cousin Disneyland) that the other parks do not have. MK's status as a dry park really has no effect on the park's performance, positive or negative.

When BOG started serving alcohol I voiced my opinion that it would not end there, it looks like I was right. BOG was obviously a test to see how people responded.
So it turns out people like alcoholic beverages on their vacations? Gee, what a shocker. You've argued extensively that Disney is ceding their competitive advantage by serving alcohol in MK, but it appears that you are wrong about that.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Simple psychology If Disney announced tomorrow that alcohol was for sale everywhere in the MK, The PR blowback would be EPIC the business press would talk about the 'blatant money grab', schools would cancel class trips to MK, Preachers would condemn it from their pulpits, MADD would be on the warpath,

On the other hand if you slow roll the alcohol sales with a new restaurant every month or so and then sales of beer and wine on the ODV carts one at a time no one notices anything at all it for all intents and purposes would be like alcohol was for sale all along.

Personally, I'd love a shot of rum with a Dole Whip float, But I think that with the overcrowded MK alcohol sales are a bad idea which will result in tragedy sooner than later.

Still nothing you say here is back in any fact. If Disney was going to do what you say it would of already started by adding something every month or so. Sales at the first sit down started years ago and not one beer or wine carts or any where else has been started. It looks to me that the "money grab" is far from happening.

rob0519

I'm not aware of the high numbes of vomit episodes at Epcot in relation to alcohol and Mission Space and Test Track.

As long as there is free dining and limited sit down at MK, there willing be limited ADRs and slow turn over. Beer or wine will barely make a difference.

And as far as bathrooms go, it can't be any worse than Epcot. Not because of long lines, but of the distance between bathrooms. MK is probably already setup better.

People! Marijuana is legal in some states now. People drinking beer at MKi s not the beginning of the apocalypse. Hobos will not begin sleeping on the benches and used dirty needles won't be found laying next to Haunted Mansion. Somehow, I think we're all going to be OK if this happens :)

Actually, depending on the actual policy once it's instituted, table turnover in the MK may actually get worse if people are allowed to purchase multiple glasses of wine or beer. I can imagine some people lingering just to have one or two more drinks if it's allowed.

Record crowds continue to cram into the MK without alcohol being served today, so it's not like people who want a drink with dinner are staying away. This is just another bottom line profit item for Disney.

MagicRat

Why is there such disdain for drinking alcohol on this board? Sure there are people that drink too much and are loud and out of control. There are also people out there that eat too much and get the free dining plan. They eat too much, have to walk the parks and at some point in the day become uncomfortable, loud and out of control. I have seen both occur at the same rate during my three trips to the DW a year and both are equally obnoxious.

I understand that some think Walt is turning over in his grave and no alcohol in the MK is tradition. But Walt liked a drink or two, he also didn't want the drinking at the park because theme parks at the time were seen as seedy and dirty where degenerates and drunks hanged out yet. He wanted the clean look of his park to attract families and what, make more money? Now that drinking is accepted, except for this board, it only makes sense to lift the drinking ban, and yes make more money for the corporation. Believe it or not, even 50 years ago the WD company was about making money first.

trampdog

Beer and Wine generate more than 60% revenue per serving, hard liquor generates nearly 75% per serving. What business wouldn't want to collect that money? Everyone complains about the prices in Disney going up. Well, this is one way to contain that.

Given how much alcohol and tobacco Walt used, I don't think he would have kept the park dry, if he were alive today. That's the key too. He's dead and stockholders (I am one) own the business now, not Walt, not his frozen head, and not his family,

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why is there such disdain for drinking alcohol on this board? Sure there are people that drink too much and are loud and out of control. There are also people out there that eat too much and get the free dining plan. They eat too much, have to walk the parks and at some point in the day become uncomfortable, loud and out of control. I have seen both occur at the same rate during my three trips to the DW a year and both are equally obnoxious.

I understand that some think Walt is turning over in his grave and no alcohol in the MK is tradition. But Walt liked a drink or two, he also didn't want the drinking at the park because theme parks at the time were seen as seedy and dirty where degenerates and drunks hanged out yet. He wanted the clean look of his park to attract families and what, make more money? Now that drinking is accepted, except for this board, it only makes sense to lift the drinking ban, and yes make more money for the corporation. Believe it or not, even 50 years ago the WD company was about making money first.

The problem is not alcohol in a Disney park that ship sailed long ago, It's alcohol in a child centered overcrowded park where heat, overcrowding and alcohol will combine to make 'unfortunate incidents' routine, Notably it's EPCOT which is the most crowded of the 3 Disney parks in FL which serve alcohol and has a bad reputation during the most crowded times of the year (F&W). I've never seen an 'incident' at either AK or DHS but I've seen multiple incidents at EPCOT.

slappy magoo

I love all the passion over a "I heard from a guy that this was happening" rumor.

I'm not now, nor have I ever have been, much of a drinker, and I don't tend to hang out in places where binge drinking is popular or encouraged. And I'm not keen on being around people who think it's hilarious to get drunk or otherwise altered, and then go someplace where drunk and otherwise altered people ought not to go, whether it's a mall or the movies or a playground...or a theme park.

However, I'm fine with there being more drinking options within the MK, if they take some of that additional revenue and a: use it to keep the increase in park tickets more manageable...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

...or b: at least use a portion of it to increase security within the MK, so if people do imbibe too much and forget their manners, they're removed from the park ASAP. Of course, that's needed (and often done) at the MK with guests who are unruly even if they aren't drinking. But a message would need to be made early and often that if you think it'd be hilarious to get liquored up then head to Space Mountain, knocking people over and making an a$$ of yourself, it won't end well. Hopefully word would get out. Of course, there are still people who fall over themselves 2/3rds of the way through a Drink Your Way Around World Showcase tour...

IMFearless

Money grab or not, this a change that will increase guest satisfaction.

That is an incredible abuse of statistics. MK has the highest attendance of the WDW theme parks because it has the most popular attractions, the highest number of attractions and entertainment, nostalgia, and a unique stature in American pop culture (along with its cousin Disneyland) that the other parks do not have. MK's status as a dry park really has no effect on the park's performance, positive or negative.

So it turns out people like alcoholic beverages on their vacations? Gee, what a shocker. You've argued extensively that Disney is ceding their competitive advantage by serving alcohol in MK, but it appears that you are wrong about that.

All of this is your opinion and you are completely entitled to it.

I would argue that if it was such a great idea, the company would not have waited almost fifty years to implement it.

So what level of alcohol sales would you feel would be best in Magic Kingdom?

Would you like the Magic Kingdom to have alcohol sales similar to the other parks?

trampdog

I love all the passion over a "I heard from a guy that this was happening" rumor.

Hopefully word would get out. Of course, there are still people who fall over themselves 2/3rds of the way through a Drink Your Way Around World Showcase tour...

LOL! I can get all the way around the world now, since they don't sell the 12 oz or 22 oz beers anymore at F&W. But yeah, I used to challenge myself on that one and actually enjoy it until the next morning. :hungover: However, in all the years I have been at F&W (since #1), I have never seen anyone get into fights or pass out. Yes, some very loud people but happy.

Oriolesmagic

Here's the simple fact. Disney needs money to make up for what a mess Shanghai and Paris have been to this point. That money can be "generated" in one of two ways. Cutting things that are already part of the parks (Which we've seen way too much of already) or adding inexpensive money-makers to the existing infrastructure. (Basically what this is).

I'll take this alternative any day of the week.

Aqueeta

I don't see the problem being alcohol and it isn't your out of town vacationer who is abusing it (who can afford to be hungover when spending this kind of money). Disney has recognized who the abusers are and has taken steps through increased costs to address this issue.

Mr. Peabody

All of this is your opinion and you are completely entitled to it.

I would argue that if it was such a great idea, the company would not have waited almost fifty years to implement it.
Disney has been serving alcohol in theme parks since EPCOT Center opened in 1982. Every park Disney has opened stateside since then (DHS, DAK, DCA) has served alcohol, so I think the company is keen on the idea. It's not like Disney has waited fifty years to try it. Magic Kingdom and Disneyland are the outliers.

So what level of alcohol sales would you feel would be best in Magic Kingdom?

Would you like the Magic Kingdom to have alcohol sales similar to the other parks?
I would like MK to have alcohol sales similar to the other parks. I haven't seen any convincing argument as to why MK should be any different. I enjoy partaking in some adult beverages at other parks, and I think bringing them to MK would be a welcome enhancement.

Last edited:

IMFearless

That sadly is the end goal I think and it will not be pretty

I fear you are right. I thought this was the case when BOG opened.

Personally, I think it will detract from Magic Kingdom's iconic status, if this is indeed the case.

I too hold shares in TWDC and although I can see that it would increase revenue in the short term, potentially it has the flip side of damaging the reputation of the park in the medium to long term.

Very loud people (however happy they are) are acting in a manner where they are being inconsiderate of those around them, which in my view is at least somewhat rude, if the individual is deliberately engaging in such behaviour.

It is another example of entitled behaviour.

If I was a single parent, with several young children, in a foreign country, on a jam packed Main Street after the Electrical Parade I would feel at least uncomfortable if people were being very loud and appeared to be drunk.

I would not take young children to a night club - because I feel like it would be inappropriate.

Taking young children to Magic Kingdom is absolutely appropriate - being obviously drunk in Magic Kingdom would be inappropriate in my view.

There is a time and a place for everything.

IMFearless

Disney has been serving alcohol in theme parks since EPCOT Center opened in 1982. Every park Disney has opened stateside since then (DHS, DAK, DCA) has served alcohol, so I think the company is keen on the idea. It's not like Disney has waited fifty years to try it. Magic Kingdom and Disneyland are the outliers.

I would like MK to have alcohol sales similar to the other parks. I haven't seen any convincing argument as to why MK should be any different. I enjoy partaking in some adult beverages at other parks, and I think bringing them to MK would be a welcome enhancement.

Sorry, my last reply crossed over with yours. Thank you for your reply.

I think they are keen on the extra cash. My problem is not the alcohol itself, it is the small percentage of people who engage in inappropriate behaviour in connection to alcohol.

Would you feel like the "drinking around the world" type of behaviour could be seen by some guests as out of place in Magic Kingdom, if that sort of thing was to occur?

Can you at least see why some guests would find that this type of behaviour reduces their own enjoyment in the parks?

I'm not trying to suggest all people who drink alcohol are guilty of this. I too enjoy drinking.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sorry, my last reply crossed over with yours. Thank you for your reply.

I think they are keen on the extra cash. My problem is not the alcohol itself, it is the small percentage of people who engage in inappropriate behaviour in connection to alcohol.

Would you feel like the "drinking around the world" type of behaviour could be seen by some guests as out of place in Magic Kingdom, if that sort of thing was to occur?

Can you at least see why some guests would find that this type of behaviour reduces their own enjoyment in the parks?

I'm not trying to suggest all people who drink alcohol are guilty of this. I too enjoy drinking.

As do most of us yet at kids birthday parties adults generally abstain from alcohol, Personally I'd love a Dole Whip float with a shot of dark rum but I'm willing to skip that experience to make the MK enjoyable by ALL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom