More places to get beer and wine at the Magic Kingdom

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Just returned from Walt Disney World and was told by someone I know that they are planning on allowing all sit down, table service restaurants in the Magic Kingdom to sell beer and wine with dinner. Anyone else heard anything about this?

lostpro9het

why even try to follow Walt's vision anymore? .
You mean they've been following it so far?!?!?

..Just open a micro-brewery in the old Tomorrowland Arcade and sell different craft beers representing all the lands of MK..

This is actually an excellent idea I could get behind! Sure it would probably be better held at EC, but the idea of it could work in any park now.

cornandacobb

I don't think it would mean lots of drunks stumbling around MK. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only place this is ever an issue, based on what I read round these parts, is the world showcase in Epcot. Libations are aplenty with an abundance of carts and kiosks and such, and there are some people who visit there with the sole intention of getting their drink on. I don't think people would be going to the MK with the same intentions.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Great....just great.

If this comes to pass, why even try to follow Walt's vision anymore? Just open a micro-brewery in the old Tomorrowland Arcade and sell different craft beers representing all the lands of MK. Heck, why not create alcoholic chewing gum and go the full mile...

Are you talking about Walt's vision only to sell beer and wine to the rich that could afford being members of the private club at Disneyland? Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom has always sold drinks at private parties. It just was not easily available to the public.

NMBC1993

You mean they've been following it so far?!?!?

In regards to the consumption of alcohol in the Magic Kingdom, I thought they were following Walt's vision pretty well up till now. Sure, they are serving beer and wine at BoG for dinner but I reluctantly let it slide because of the whole "French restaurant" angle (wouldn't want another Disneyland Paris on our hands). I wasn't fond of the idea of serving alcohol in any form but if they wanted BoG to be "authentic" what could be done?

Now, if alcohol is indeed planning to be served at ALL sit-down restaurants, that's where I personally draw the line. Mostly because there is no way to hide behind the "Oh, we were trying to make the restaurant authentic" BS. It'll be put in place as a money-grab and nothing more.

As of right now, guests have three other theme parks, an entire shopping district, two water parks and almost 25 resorts to get their booze fill. Do we really need to add in another park? At what point does the line between "dinner only" and all-day become blurred together? I already have to deal with drunken idiots for half of the year at Epcot (never mind the non-event daily operational days) can we folks who don't drink have at least ONE place we can stay clear from the guests with no self-control?? Heck, my last trip to DHS in March I saw people lining up at park opening for drinks and half of them had kids tagging along. Great example for our future society! Make sure to buy them a blinky drink to indoctrinate them early.

This is actually an excellent idea I could get behind! Sure it would probably be better held at EC, but the idea of it could work in any park now.

:facepalm:

*Sigh* I'm sure the heads at Disney would agree with you on that one....maybe they can get a sponsorship with Word of Beer.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Great....just great.

If this comes to pass, why even try to follow Walt's vision anymore? Just open a micro-brewery in the old Tomorrowland Arcade and sell different craft beers representing all the lands of MK. Heck, why not create alcoholic chewing gum and go the full mile...
I'm in!!! Except for that chewing gum part.

NMBC1993

Are you talking about Walt's vision only to sell beer and wine to the rich that could afford being members of the private club at Disneyland? Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom has always sold drinks at private parties. It just was not easily available to the public.

Yes, that is the vision I was talking about. Personally, I could care less about private parties and the like because 1. It's a private event for paying guests and is not part of daily operations, normal guests wouldn't know any better and 2. most of those private parties are in the theme parks that are already designed for alcohol consumption (Frozen party, Osborne up-charge, Illuminations sailing party etc.). I'm just asking to keep it out of the Magic Kingdom as much as humanly possible. Also, with the fees that Walt charged to get into said club in DL, I'd probably expect alcohol too. But at least it wasn't widely available to the guest below New Orleans Square and beyond.

Brian Swan

I'm all for it. Having a beer with a cheeseburger at LTT on a hot day, or a glass of wine with bread and salad at Tony's would be a nice addition. "Storybook Circus Spirits" or "it's a small world of beer" might be going a bit far, but as part of the very limited MK TS offerings, I think it would be a hit.

andysol

As of right now, guests have three other theme parks, an entire shopping district, two water parks and almost 25 resorts to get their booze fill. Do we really need to add in another park? At what point does the line between "dinner only" and all-day become blurred together? I already have to deal with drunken idiots for half of the year at Epcot (never mind the non-event daily operational days) can we folks who don't drink have at least ONE place we can stay clear from the guests with no self-control?? Heck, my last trip to DHS in March I saw people lining up at park opening for drinks and half of them had kids tagging along. Great example for our future society! Make sure to buy them a blinky drink to indoctrinate them early.

Of all the times I've been to WDW- I have never encountered a drunk outside of Epcot. I get the drinking at Epcot- fine. But the drinking at DHS/DAK and all the other areas don't produce drunks. Likewise, IoA, USF, Seaworld, etc- I haven't encountered drunks. Hell- even at my local Six Flags I haven't experienced drunks. You're more likely to see a drunk in the airport to WDW. Who cares if people drink at MK? It isn't a problem at any of the other parks (sans Epcot)- so outside of bursting some fantasy you're living in- why not?

NMBC1993

Of all the times I've been to WDW- I have never encountered a drunk outside of Epcot. I get the drinking at Epcot- fine. But the drinking at DHS/DAK and all the other areas don't produce drunks. Likewise, IoA, USF, Seaworld, etc- I haven't encountered drunks. Hell- even at my local Six Flags I haven't experienced drunks. You're more likely to see a drunk in the airport to WDW. Who cares if people drink at MK? It isn't a problem at any of the other parks (sans Epcot)- so outside of bursting some fantasy you're living in- why not?

When I use the term "drunken idiots" I'm not simply talking about the people who can barely walk or form words, I'm talking about anyone who feels the need to drink, period. The people who feel the need to have a drink as soon as they wake up. The people who are so compelled to have a drink that they can't control themselves enough to wait till their kids are asleep or till they make it back to their resort. Like I said, why is it SO important to have alcohol available in every location on the planet? WDW doesn't sell cigarettes, but what about the people at Disney who want a smoke? Shouldn't we accommodate to them as well? "Oh, but smoking as a deadly, gross habit..." and what exactly is alcohol then?

According to an article entitled "Alcohol Consumption: Losing a Sense of Self" by Leah Rayner (http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f01/web3/rayner.html) - "If one drinks two drinks in one hour or one reaches a blood alcohol level of .02 - .06% the association area of the cerebrum is progressively affected. This impairs one's ability to reason as well his/her judgement."

So it's not really a matter of the "worst kind of drunks" that I'm worried about, I'm worried about the amount of people who have reached any blood alcohol level that could affect the people around them. Magic Kingdom caters to a large crowd of guests everyday, more so than DHS or DAK. In my opinion, Magic Kingdom is barely tolerable as it is, without the booze. What happens when the WDW management decides that Magic Kingdom needs it's own Food and Wine style event? It's a slippery slope. "Give them an inch, they'll take a mile". So, I personally say just cut them off before things get out of hand.

lostpro9het

... Personally, I could care less.....
Well its seems you sure could care less...
When I use the term "drunken idiots" ... I'm talking about anyone who feels the need to drink, period.
WOW. Well, as Drunken Idiot, I would like to respectfully disagree with you. But at the end of the day I guess I couldn't care less about your view of me but think your grouping off all people that consume alcohol as a drunken idiot may be reaching.

Last edited:

baymenxpac

When I use the term "drunken idiots" I'm not simply talking about the people who can barely walk or form words, I'm talking about anyone who feels the need to drink, period. The people who feel the need to have a drink as soon as they wake up. The people who are so compelled to have a drink that they can't control themselves enough to wait till their kids are asleep or till they make it back to their resort. Like I said, why is it SO important to have alcohol available in every location on the planet? WDW doesn't sell cigarettes, but what about the people at Disney who want a smoke? Shouldn't we accommodate to them as well? "Oh, but smoking as a deadly, gross habit..." and what exactly is alcohol then?

According to an article entitled "Alcohol Consumption: Losing a Sense of Self" by Leah Rayner (http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f01/web3/rayner.html) - "If one drinks two drinks in one hour or one reaches a blood alcohol level of .02 - .06% the association area of the cerebrum is progressively affected. This impairs one's ability to reason as well his/her judgement."

So it's not really a matter of the "worst kind of drunks" that I'm worried about, I'm worried about the amount of people who have reached any blood alcohol level that could affect the people around them. Magic Kingdom caters to a large crowd of guests everyday, more so than DHS or DAK. In my opinion, Magic Kingdom is barely tolerable as it is, without the booze. What happens when the WDW management decides that Magic Kingdom needs it's own Food and Wine style event? It's a slippery slope. "Give them an inch, they'll take a mile". So, I personally say just cut them off before things get out of hand.

yo, man. you need to have a drink and loosen up.

EDIT: this is my joke. read my next post for a serious take.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom