Co.'s upcoming movie, ``Monsters, Inc.,'' violates the trademark
of Monster Cable Products Inc., the audio and video products
company claims in a lawsuit.
Monster Cable Products sued Disney today, saying it has used
the name since 1978 and seeks to stop Disney from using the title
in sequels or other products. In addition to seeking unspecified
damages, the company wants to restrict Disney's use of the name to
the original movie and prohibit its use in any subsequent products
such as television shows, video games or toys.
Disney is teaming with Pixar Inc., the producers of ``Toy
Story'' and ``A Bug's Life'' to produce the movie about a ``scare
factory in the monster world,'' according to a Disney press
release. The movie is scheduled for release in November.
Brisbane, California-based Monster Cable fears Disney's
``business practice of producing sequels or a series of titles
stemming from an original title'' will be applied to ``Monsters,
Inc.'' and cause confusion with its own audio, sound and video
products, according to a complaint filed in San Jose federal
court.
Disney shares fell to their lowest in six and a half years
after Goldman, Sachs & Co. bought 135 million shares of the
entertainment company at an estimated 22 percent discount to
Wednesday's closing price.
Officials at Disney did not immediately return calls seeking
comment on the lawsuit.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Dont Monster Cable sponsor the Home Theater Exhibit at Innoventions? I think their days may be numbered there! :)

Herbie53

Premium Member
This sounds like a flimsy lawsuit to me. I just can't see a court allowing a company to claim the rights to a single word.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah I agree - seems pretty pathetic to me. Monster Cable has no overlap with Disney markets - so I dont see what the fuss is about. I think Monster Cable are making trouble for themselves with this.

WDW-Imagineer

You can add it to the long list of "vague reasons to sue Disney".... although keeping Disney's legal team in mind, they will probably win.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer
You can add it to the long list of "vague reasons to sue Disney".... although keeping Disney's legal team in mind, they will probably win.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah and thats the sad part. Everybody just loves to sue Disney. and most of the time they win.

Monster

This is truly sad, I know so top jocks at Monster, and he says, they are doing so poor, from bad economic times and their sinking electronic business, that they are looking for money in any means possible. You have to get your money from somewhere, I mean how can you compete when you sell a coaxial cable tripple the price of the norm, since it is bouble thickness....Desparate Measures.:eek: :eek: :eek:

MrPromey

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer

It's just surprising that they would try this considering they are an established somewhat reputable company. I have sort of come to expect it from the no-name startups looking for free advertising but not from a *real* company

MrPromey

Originally posted by wdw24557
I have never heard of Monsters, Inc before this year becuase the movie is coming out.

That's because the other company isn''t called Monsters, Inc. It's name is Monster Cable. Here is a link to their sight so that you can understand who they are, what they do and what BS this lawsuit is:

http://www.monstercable.com/

dopey

oh, please. this is so obviously a pr gimmick. and a cheap one at that.

by cheap, i mean inexpensive. with filing and attorney fees, as well as other court costs, such as a process server, it probably cost monster cable only a couple grand to file this suit. and for that, the company probably got thousands of media impressions -- not to mention having their name circulated on disney fan sites.

all in all, provided the company didn't have any stake in a relationship with disney (i can't remember which company sponsors the home theater exhibit, but i don't recall it being monster cable), this was a smart move. i might just go ahead and sue disney for stealing my likeness for that little one-eyed creature. ;) i could use the pr.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom