Monorail Peach Comes Online

Monorail_Red

Can anyone tell me what is going on with the track switch by MK? We got stuck on the Monorial for about 20 minutes one day and the driver came over the PA system and told us there was a problem at the switch and it was being fixed. Two days later we are walking from MK to the Contemporary and Coral is sitting in front of the switch. The track was switch to access the express line to the maintenance spur going to the monorail garage. Waited for about 20 minutes and nothing happened. The monorail just sat there and the switch was unchanged. By the time we got to the Contemporary the resort line was running, but no express moving and we could see that Coral was still sitting in the same spot near the switch.
Could have been many things going on, but probably nothing out of the ordinary.

c-one

Coral and Lime were donated when Epcot line was added.

In this video, Austin (R.I.P) educates the child on the colors, and states that Coral and Lime were donated with Epcot.

This video is in my opinion the BEST thing to tribute the young man.

Sorry if it gets off topic, didn't mean to.

http://topics.myfoxboston.com/m/24645745/guest-video-shows-disney-monorail-pilot.htm

Here's the link. Let it load, and it will start on it's own.
Yes, that's a great video, and thanks. I'm surprised they only added 2 colors with the Epcot line. Didn't realize they already had so many monorails for the original system.

peachykeen

The original stripes were removed prior to that picture when they were testing.

I don't recall when that picture was taken exactly, but I do know that the stripes were still on the trains at one point and simply covered up with the white vinyl-type material that is shown in the pictures. You can see here http://www.flickr.com/photos/29417352@N08/4017107437/sizes/l/in/photostream/ how there are wrinkles and bubbles where the material has to curve around the nose, and also how the material was just sliced to allow the doors to open. I remember a maintenance CM pulling back a piece of the vinyl to show me the pink stripe underneath. Also, the piece of sticker covering up the D (and therefore the color of the original car, in that car's case Purple) is also visible.

So I think that when these pictures were taken, the Pink/Purple stripes were still on the cars. It just doesn't make sense to strip the paint, just to then cover it up with a white vinyl sticker. Although it was 2 years ago, so my memory may be incorrect.

nace888

I don't recall when that picture was taken exactly, but I do know that the stripes were still on the trains at one point and simply covered up with the white vinyl-type material that is shown in the pictures. You can see here http://www.flickr.com/photos/29417352@N08/4017107437/sizes/l/in/photostream/ how there are wrinkles and bubbles where the material has to curve around the nose, and also how the material was just sliced to allow the doors to open. I remember a maintenance CM pulling back a piece of the vinyl to show me the pink stripe underneath. Also, the piece of sticker covering up the D (and therefore the color of the original car, in that car's case Purple) is also visible.

So I think that when these pictures were taken, the Pink/Purple stripes were still on the cars. It just doesn't make sense to strip the paint, just to then cover it up with a white vinyl sticker. Although it was 2 years ago, so my memory may be incorrect.

If you do look very closely, you can see where the strip of vinyl is not cut around the doors, plus the bubbles...

I am also curious, is there any possible way to turn one of these trains completely around? I know there isn't a turntable, but would certain switches give the pilot the ability to do a ''180'' with his/her train?

peachykeen

I am going with this. The train appears to be primered in that photo. It would only make sense to tape the area where the strip will be applied.

But why the tape over the area where the "D" would be applied, if they never intended to put one on Teal (or any of the repaints.) Up close you could even see the raised up paint underneath that little square with the old "D" logo like you could when Coral was wrapped with Tron.

Oh well. I may be wrong, it was 2 years ago almost (exactly, Peach debuted Nov 4 2009 I believe). Just happy to have a full fleet again, that's all that is really important I suppose.

peachykeen

If you do look very closely, you can see where the strip of vinyl is not cut around the doors, plus the bubbles...

I am also curious, is there any possible way to turn one of these trains completely around? I know there isn't a turntable, but would certain switches give the pilot the ability to do a ''180'' with his/her train?

No there is no turntable, nor is there a "wye" on our system. The only way to "flip" a train's direction would be to remove it from the beam completely.

wdw71fan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29417352@N08/4017107437/

Here's another shot of Unpainted Teal... And perhaps you're right about the bend...

You don't see it here... http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mono...0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&biw=1366&bih=576

There is no 'perhaps' about it... the train wasn't bent.. that 'bend' was the result of the picture being taken with a poor quality cell phone camera, see:

http://spiedigitallibrary.org/proceedings/resource/2/psisdg/7242/1/724213_1?isAuthorized=no

I saw both trains throughout the repair process, that kind of structural damage did not exist.. moreover, the train wouldn't even move on the beam with that kind of damage..

Just a poorly taken picture.

wdw71fan

But why the tape over the area where the "D" would be applied, if they never intended to put one on Teal (or any of the repaints.) Up close you could even see the raised up paint underneath that little square with the old "D" logo like you could when Coral was wrapped with Tron.

Oh well. I may be wrong, it was 2 years ago almost (exactly, Peach debuted Nov 4 2009 I believe). Just happy to have a full fleet again, that's all that is really important I suppose.

because the D logos are colored.. it was to mask the original color combo from guests... thats all..

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

I added the logo to my previous post. I guess you have never spent any time near painting or the process it takes. Just one of the possibilities.

nace888

No there is no turntable, nor is there a "wye" on our system. The only way to "flip" a train's direction would be to remove it from the beam completely.

Ah, okay. That was something I was curious about. Although, if Disney wanted such a way, just add a loop I guess, but they wouldn't, would they?

nace888

It's looking quite nice, although they should consider the color a little bit...

I also think the Delta idea would be nice too! What do you guys think?

I mean, the color has grown on me, but it could be a little better...

Tom

Beta Return
It's looking quite nice, although they should consider the color a little bit...

I also think the Delta idea would be nice too! What do you guys think?

I mean, the color has grown on me, but it could be a little better...

I really need to see it in person before I pass my FINAL judgement, but based on all the photos and videos, I'm quite the un-fan of the color. It's drab, ugly, and has no character. It's like the wallflower of the fleet, to me.

DonaldDoleWhip

I really need to see it in person before I pass my FINAL judgement, but based on all the photos and videos, I'm quite the un-fan of the color. It's drab, ugly, and has no character. It's like the wallflower of the fleet, to me.
I agree. Honestly, I would've preferred to see a color similar to coral if they were going to not include deltas. At least coral is a warm, vibrant, appealing color without being the same as pink.

But with the color staying as is, I really wish it had deltas, because the previous monorails with deltas represent the slightly 'off' colors (lime, coral, teal) whereas the solid ones are basic colors (red, blue, black, gold, silver, etc). Peach fits more in the first category IMO - it's not a color I instantly recognize like red, orange, or yellow (especially given the shade they chose - not the peach I imagined at all).

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I agree. Honestly, I would've preferred to see a color similar to coral if they were going to not include deltas. At least coral is a warm, vibrant, appealing color without being the same as pink.

But with the color staying as is, I really wish it had deltas, because the previous monorails with deltas represent the slightly 'off' colors (lime, coral, teal) whereas the solid ones are basic colors (red, blue, black, gold, silver, etc). Peach fits more in the first category IMO - it's not a color I instantly recognize like red, orange, or yellow (especially given the shade they chose - not the peach I imagined at all).

Agreed, especially with the whole idea of the "off" colors having the deltas. When I first heard Peach, I just assumed that it would be similar to Coral and would not have the deltas. Now that I see it, I think the deltas would definitely make it look a little better. Even still, I'm not sure I'd be that big of a fan, I just wouldn't mind it as much.

PhilharMagician

The color is not bad when you see it in person. The one thing I do not like is the grey vent covers. The black looked so much better IMHO.

I was really shocked at how run down the fleet is looking. Chipped paint, faded paint, door gaskets ripped and nearly gone in some cars, colored overspray in the door jam, some smelled really really bad. I even noticed some cracks inside on some panels. I am not sure if it was me being more observant or this is truely an area of neglect?

Monorail_Red

They do look a bit run down here and there, nothing a bit of TL&C can't fix. But remember the trains are 20+ years old with millions of miles on them. Still, they're holding up better than most vehicles I know of!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom