Moms and Dads give me your pros and cons for the baby leash

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmorri26

Original Poster
I'm been pondering getting one of the oh so attractive baby harnesses for our next trip. Our son will be 17 months next trip and quite independent. He'll have his stroller but I want him to be able to walk with us when he wants to without me fearing his little hand will slip out and take off.

Those of you that have used them (many I assume since everywhere I turn at the parks I see the little stuffed animal kinds) give me your pros and cons for using one. My parents had a "leash" when I was a girl that velcroed around your wrist and I know they still make similar ones as well as the harnesses. Do you really get as horrible judgmental looks as I hear? Is it worth it to you? Did your kid actually use it and try to walk around? The fluffy animal kind seems horribly hot for Florida summers too. Would love any thoughts good or bad:)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
First and foremost, I have found that most of the people who will give you that judgmental look don't have kids and/or have zero clue what it is like to deal with one 24/7, so who cares what they think.

If you have a child that will just run off in a random direction the leashes can be a big safety device. A Disney buss can not stop on a dime. If you also have a child that just does not want to be in a stroller the leash can give you peace of mind that your little one is not going to get lost in the crowd. If you think you need it, get it.

Nemo14

It depends on the child really. We had one who wouldn't think of leaving our side, and one who was very easily distracted. If you feel your child needs it, by all means use it. It doesn't replace keeping a close eye on your child, but it does give you peace of mind.

jmorri26

Original Poster
MasterYoda, you mean the same people rolling their eyes and complaining if a baby so much as looks like it will cry or if you dare sit near them in a restaurant? Yea, I can deal with that. I got plenty of looks from childrenless couples last trip like having a baby with me was a plague.

Ours loves to walk with us but is very easily distracted- i.e. he will dart off at a moments glance and slip that hand out of mine. It just seems most I saw with the harnesses were just dragging their kids like they would a misbehaving dog. Do your kids seem to cooperate with them on?

Those that have used them, any recommendations on a brand?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
MasterYoda, you mean the same people rolling their eyes and complaining if a baby so much as looks like it will cry or if you dare sit near them in a restaurant? Yea, I can deal with that. I got plenty of looks from childrenless couples last trip like having a baby with me was a plague.

Ours loves to walk with us but is very easily distracted- i.e. he will dart off at a moments glance and slip that hand out of mine. It just seems most I saw with the harnesses were just dragging their kids like they would a misbehaving dog. Do your kids seem to cooperate with them on?

Those that have used them, any recommendations on a brand?
I was lucky in that none of my kids needed them, but have been around plenty that did. I saw so flat out scary moments where kids that did need them did not have them. There is nothing like a 2 year old darting toward an oncoming bus to get your heart going.

The ones that seem to work the best are the animal backpack style. The connection point is somewhat central so you tend not to spin the kids around and their hands are free making them less resistant to the idea. (a friends kid use to take off the wrist strap). Some of them also do work as a back pack so you can use the little suckers like a tiny pack mule.:)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We had one when we took our daughter to DL at 18m but she never needed it. Our son on the other hand really needed one for about 6 months between 1 - 2. We were teaching him to hold hands but he would pull away and run for it. So we used the leash to keep him from running into danger. He has finally started to hold hands without fighting but even with that it will be going with us to WDW in Oct. Just in case.

We have one the backpack monkeys. The "tail" can be clipped on and off to be used as a leash.

stevehousse

I completely understand kids can be a handful, but to me putting your kid on a dog leash is just lazy to me...use a stroller if u need to keep your kid in check...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I completely understand kids can be a handful, but to me putting your kid on a dog leash is just lazy to me...use a stroller if u need to keep your kid in check...

Using a stroller to keep your kid from running off is far worse than using a leash. The stroller doesn't allow them to move at all, takes up more room and stops the kid from getting any exercise. Plus, putting them in a stroller is way the heck more lazy as a parent than using the leash-like thing.

stevehousse

Using a stroller to keep your kid from running off is far worse than using a leash. The stroller doesn't allow them to move at all, takes up more room and stops the kid from getting any exercise. Plus, putting them in a stroller is way the heck more lazy as a parent than using the leash-like thing.

What I had meant was if you wanted your child to walk around you hold them by the hand or pick them up and walk with them. If they get rowdy or want to walk away from you ten use the stroller to keep them contained.

By using the leash it's just a lazy way of keeping track of your child when your eyes and ears should be doing the job! I would ever use them on my kids even if they were like that! I think it is humiliating to do that to a kid! They may not remember it when they are that little but then you have pictures of them for the rest of their life with that thing on, embarrassing the child!

I will never use one on my own children, and yes that will be me staring at you anywhere you go when I see your kid on a leash like an animal!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
What I had meant was if you wanted your child to walk around you hold them by the hand or pick them up and walk with them. If they get rowdy or want to walk away from you ten use the stroller to keep them contained.

By using the leash it's just a lazy way of keeping track of your child when your eyes and ears should be doing the job! I would ever use them on my kids even if they were like that! I think it is humiliating to do that to a kid! They may not remember it when they are that little but then you have pictures of them for the rest of their life with that thing on, embarrassing the child!

I will never use one on my own children, and yes that will be me staring at you anywhere you go when I see your kid on a leash like an animal!

Why is it OK to use a stroller to contain a child, but not OK to use a tether?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You're kidding right?
Stroller= baby
Leash= animal
I am sure this dog will be thrilled that a mere stroller has elevated him to human status.

just_pet_strollers_happy_trails_400_300.jpg

Freshee61

Yeah lol! and that's a new fad that's just hilarious and ridiculously looking as this silly picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom