Moms and Dads give me your pros and cons for the baby leash

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I can't believe people are actually defending these things on here!
How about you raise your children the way you see fit and let others raise theirs the way that they see fit without judgement?

I have never known anyone who has or would put a leash on a child, even if they are bad.
I assume you have asked every single person you know their opinions on the matter?

If you want to treat your child like a dog and use a leash, then do it, but dont get upset at all the people that will state, look, and point in your direction!
So, teaching your children to point and laugh at others who do things differently than you is A-Ok?

Plain and simple they are wrong, no matter if its a backpack or harness or whatever!
Opinion, not fact. And once you start pushing that your opinion is right, you enter a very slippery slope in judgement.

Personally, we do not use these, as with our children, the stroller / hand-holding / occasionally-yell-at-our-child-to-stay-close method has worked so far.
I do not however pretend to know every parent and their child, and their situation. I do not know if their child has a disability that makes it very hard for them to keep an eye on. I do not know if the parent has a disability that makes it hard for them to keep an eye on their child (parents with vision problems, etc). I do not know if a parent is so concerned for the welfare of thier child that to them, NOT having a sure-fire way to keep their child close is nearly a form of child endangerment. Just because some people choose different methods to keep their children safe than I do, it does not make them wrong.

PhilharMagician

I am not sure I believe in the child leash thing. My child was taught to hold one of our hands at all times in public specially as a toddler and that worked for us. I am not saying that would work with everyone, but seeing a child on a leash just doesn't look right to me. I hate seeing kids on those leashes and running until they get to the end and continue to repeat the same process like a dog that was not trained. It really makes me sad, but there probably are some children out there that just cannot be controlled.

We had a stroller until age 5 and it was gone. Hind sight we probably should have stopped sooner, but we got accustomed to having something to haul our backpack and cameras on during the day. I am a strong believer that the child should walk, and most should be able to unless they have some sort of medical condition besides laziness.

momof1princess

I already commented once for the benefit of the OP and now this is for the rest of you that are judging him or her for asking a question.

Now we don't know if you have kids, and if you don't, then please save your opinion for when or if you do. My opinions changed on many things related to child rearing and yours may too.

Those of you that have kids know how hard it is sometimes to keep them both safe and happy, especially in unfamiliar situations. Let's cut each other a break and let people parent the best way they know how. I don't think anyone has ever caused permanent damage with a backpack leash in a couple of days at Disney.

Ember

Wow this thread is kind of disturbing. Every child is different especially those with special needs. Harnesses and tethers can save a child's life. People complain about parents who don't watch their kids carefully enough and get hurt, but yet people also complain when parents use a safety net such as this. It would seem that some people just like to be judgmental. We are absolutely planning on using a wrist to wrist tether for our 3-year old. As much as we have tried to teach him to hold on to our hands he has slipped away a few times, one time almost getting hit by a car. Little hands are slippery, especially in the Florida heat and I would much rather be safe than sorry if he decides to wriggle his little hand out of mine. He is quick and has no sense of the danger that could happen. He loves wearing his bracelet and I think it makes him feel safe. That's not to say that there are not people who abuse the harness/tether and use it as an excuse to not watch their children. I have seen parents dragging their kids behind them and in those situations I can see the comparison between child and pet. However, I think these people are the exception and not the rule. I think most parents who use these are doing it because they care a great deal about their children and their safety. Just because I will be using a tether does not mean that I will take my eye off my son for one minute, it's just a safety precaution same as id tattoos and the like.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Fine, but I don't think any of the people in this thread who have used them think of their children as dogs.

I don't think of my kid as a dog, and never used a leash, but I did teach her how to fetch when she was learning to walk (not kidding).

Her mother would always give me the stink eye when she'd catch me playing that game with her...but, that's really what it was!

That being said, the backpack one I think is the most effective / tasteful of the lot. Having been a child who ran away from his parents a lot (wanna freak Mommy out? Try playing impromptu hide and go seek without letting her know in a department store...those round clothes displays make great hiding places!)...and now having a kid who is rather clingy in that respect, I can't relate, but I can certainly understand why some people use them.

jmorri26

Original Poster
Wow, in all my years here I managed to miss out on a leash debate on these boards. Sorry I started one up. This is worse than the breastfeeding one a while back. I was more asking for recommendations/comfortable kinds, not if anyone thinks its acceptable. To each their own I guess. If I wanted my eyes to bleed reading these "I'm a better mommy/daddy" posts I'd go to Babycenter or one of the sites thats chocked full of that bull.
I wonder how many people that are so adamant the tethers are bad know for a fact their parents didn't use em on them as kids- the wrist ones were VERY popular in the 70s/80s. My parents used one to wrangle 3 kids and last I checked I turned into a responsible adult. I poop inside, don't have fleas and don't eat my food out of a bowl on the floor and everything! Go me!
All I know is in places like Disney, even not in a crowd, I have to often hold member of my families hands to keep from getting separated and I'm a grown adult (see the pooping info above) so if nasty looks from clearly better parents than me is the price I could pay to ensure my child can walk when he likes, not be strapped into his stroller alll day long when he wants to move, so be it.

I completely understand kids can be a handful, but to me putting your kid on a dog leash is just lazy to me...use a stroller if u need to keep your kid in check...

I think the leash is great. They dont let you bring strollers into the long lines, and in EPCOT you can't even bring it in the pavilion.You can lose a child very quickly in the seas pavilion. The leash allows the child some freedom of movement. Try holding a tots hand round the clock in July and your hands are so sweaty they can very quickly get loose. In the crowds of July you can have your eyes on your child and still lose them.

6laurac

I think the leash is great. They dont let you bring strollers into the long lines, and in EPCOT you can't even bring it in the pavilion.You can lose a child very quickly in the seas pavilion. The leash allows the child some freedom of movement. Try holding a tots hand round the clock in July and your hands are so sweaty they can very quickly get loose. In the crowds of July you can have your eyes on your child and still lose them.

I didn't know you couldn't use strollers in the pavilion so I thank you for this information.

Hot Lava

First and foremost, I have found that most of the people who will give you that judgmental look don't have kids and/or have zero clue what it is like to deal with one 24/7, so who cares what they think.

And that was me oh-so-many years ago. I thought they were cruel. But after years of seeing kids run wild, and then later having my own, I have changed my mind.

I have a runner, and so would at least consider it. So wonderful for all the judgmental people here who either have no kids or have kids who never leave their side.

If you feel the need to do it, then do. And give the stink eye right back to those who give it to you. They probably have the kids that are running wild, tearing up the joint.

Too bad for you (and me) that you don't have a girl. On "Modern Family" they had an episode all about this with Lily at Disneyland. Unfortunately Jay's solution with Lilly only really works with girls. Unless of course, you really want stink eyes from people. A boy in princess shoes will certainly get more than one on a leash. ;)

meyeet

Unless of course, you really want stink eyes from people. A boy in princess shoes will certainly get more than one on a leash. ;)

On our trip in February we saw a little boy (probably 5-6) on the bus to MK wearing a princess dress, princess shoes, and a tiara. He was sitting with his younger sister, mom, grandma, and 2 other women.

Just when you think you've seen it all...

Lynn1030

Just don't be the parent that uses the leash so you can double fist nachos and a beer and not pay your kid any attention (not that theres anything wrong with nachos and beer). I wouldn't ever use one and I try not to care about what others do - but when I see them being used because of laziness and not safety, then yes, I will shake my head. (Heck, I'm shaking my head now at the fact I decided to jump into this crazy thread...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom