Moana 2 (Disney Animation - November 2024)

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
So this is just condensing the Moana Disney+ series that was announced back in 2020 into a movie? Can't see how that could fail... :rolleyes:

Miss Rori

I'm with those who think that Disney's doing this just to have something to go up against Wicked - Part One over Thanksgiving, because after Wonka ended up much better-received than many people expected and basically was the movie Wish was supposed to be critically and financially, that movie's chances of being a hit just rose a bit. It's totally possible that the ship has sailed for a Wicked adaptation after 20+ years of imitations, many by Disney, but one never knows.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm with those who think that Disney's doing this just to have something to go up against Wicked - Part One over Thanksgiving, because after Wonka ended up much better-received than many people expected and basically was the movie Wish was supposed to be critically and financially, that movie's chances of being a hit just rose a bit. It's totally possible that the ship has sailed for a Wicked adaptation after 20+ years of imitations, many by Disney, but one never knows.
The issue with Wicked is there have been so many promises of a movie for years that many have moved on. I can see it doing initially well just for the curiosity factor, but the question is will it have legs, that I don't know.

With Moana 2, that has a built-in audience that has watched the first movie consistently on streaming for the last several years. Its a no-brainer why Disney would do this.

And for those that are complaining about it being converted from D+ series to a movie.... Remember the complaints about many of the D+ series from Marvel and Star Wars, they were all just movies that were cut up into episodic form. I suspect the same was done with Moana D+ series, made as a feature and cutup to make an episodic show. So with editing its not hard to reverse that and make it back to a movie. So we'll see....

Jedijax719

Moana 2 in November 2024 and then MOANA two weeks out from Elio in 2025???

The latter will be axed. Guaranteed. So will 3/4 of the "untitled" entries.

Ghost93

Moana 2 in November 2024 and then MOANA two weeks out from Elio in 2025???

The latter will be axed. Guaranteed. So will 3/4 of the "untitled" entries.
The live action Moana was more about the Rock being desperate once the Black Adam franchise failed to take off. Moana 2 getting a theatrical release makes me optimistic than Disney will hold off on doing a live-action remake for awhile.

The most successful of the remakes came out 25 years after the original for maximum nostalgia value. With that in mind, it would be foolish for a live-action remake of Moana to come out before 2041.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
It seems most trades expect the live-action film to move off the 2025 date.

Chef idea Mickey`=

The lack of Lin-Manuel Miranda has me VERY concerned as his music was a large part of the appeal of the first movie. And I am more skeptical about pop music artists writing a musical after the mostly lackluster songs of Wish (although I did like "Knowing What I know Now).

Hopefully, we all come away pleasantly surprised. Maybe this will end up like Toy Story 2, which was originally meant to be direct-to-VHS before wiser heads prevailed.
Perhaps the music this time can turn in another direction like Frozen and Frozen II. Frozen II songs were quite different than Frozen 1.

choco choco

Dwayne Johnson is still "in talks" to return to the movie? And then in that article, they drop this little nugget,
"The jury is still out on whether Auli’i Cravalho comes back as the voice of Moana. We hear that the actress is in talks, but they aren’t as close as Johnson’s."

The two leads aren't even signed on yet to do the movie?!!?!?! In animation, the voice recordings come first, and then it takes years to animate the characters to sync with the voice recordings. They haven't even signed the two leads yet and they gave it a release date of nine months away????!!??

None of this makes any sense. This movie has worse vibes than Raya and the Last Dragon, which replaced it's entire crew of directors ridiculously late in the process. Surprise, surprise, but that movie was a mess. This thing has disaster written all over it.

They can't even have started animation if the voice acting hasn't been recorded yet. What is going on at Disney?

EPCOT-O.G.

It seems most trades expect the live-action film to move off the 2025 date.

I’m sorry, but…Dwayne Johnson is “in talks”? LMM not coming back, nor are the directors? A ten second teaser 9 months out?

This smells like a rush job

EPCOT-O.G.

Dwayne Johnson is still "in talks" to return to the movie? And then in that article, they drop this little nugget,

The two leads aren't even signed on yet to do the movie?!!?!?! In animation, the voice recordings come first, and then it takes years to animate the characters to sync with the voice recordings. They haven't even signed the two leads yet and they gave it a release date of nine months away????!!??

None of this makes any sense. This movie has worse vibes than Raya and the Last Dragon, which replaced it's entire crew of directors ridiculously late in the process. Surprise, surprise, but that movie was a mess. This thing has disaster written all over it.

They can't even have started animation if the voice acting hasn't been recorded yet. What is going on at Disney?
Moana is a modern classic and has remarkable enduring popularity. It’s sad what’s about to happen to that series.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom