Moana 2 (Disney Animation - November 2024)

MagicHappens1971

So Auli’i was not returning for the D+ show? That just seems strange as most Disney Princess voice actresses continue to voice their characters in almost all media. She recently reprised her role in the Lego Princess special for D+

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So Auli’i was not returning for the D+ show? That just seems strange as most Disney Princess voice actresses continue to voice their characters in almost all media. She recently reprised her role in the Lego Princess special for D+
From the article:

Johnson is back for the new installment [Moana 2 feature animation] alongside actors from the original including Auli’i Cravalho and others.

The D+ animated series is now a full feature animated film.

What Auli'i won't be back for is live action Moana movie.

MagicHappens1971

From the article:

Johnson is back for the new installment [Moana 2 feature animation] alongside actors from the original including Auli’i Cravalho and others.

What Auli'i won't be back for is live action Moana movie.
Yes, I was just wondering about the original series that they are turning into this film. It seems some have implied that her and the Rock are re-recording the dialogue for the movie, meaning that they weren’t originally returning for the series?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yes, I was just wondering about the original series that they are turning into this film. It seems some have implied that her and the Rock are re-recording the dialogue for the movie, meaning that they weren’t originally returning for the series?
I remember some question of whether they were going to voice the series turned movie. I guess with it being the movie, they have the money to afford the originals. ;)

Advisable Joseph

I wonder if the news that she signed on was important because Disney might have needed a new contract to use her performance in a theatrical movie as opposed to a streaming miniseries?

This would imply Disney was willing to redub her if necessary.

MagicHappens1971

I wonder if the news that she signed on was important because Disney might have needed a new contract to use her performance in a theatrical movie as opposed to a streaming miniseries?

This would imply Disney was willing to redub her if necessary.
Yeah I would really like to know more details about this as Jodi Benson, Anika Noni Rose, etc all continue to voice their respective princesses in almost all media. It would seem odd that Auli’i would not, especially in a streaming series.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah I would really like to know more details about this as Jodi Benson, Anika Noni Rose, etc all continue to voice their respective princesses in almost all media. It would seem odd that Auli’i would not, especially in a streaming series.
Contracts are different now than they were even just 10 years ago, especially surrounding streaming shows. And this was all before the recent strikes where actors got more equity in terms of compensation for streaming shows. So yeah it wouldn't surprise me that she didn't come back for the series, but was brought back when it turned into a theatrical release.

Animaniac93-98

Looks like The Rock just voiced his lines….roughly 6 months before the film is released.

Maybe he wasn't going to voice the character when this was a Disney+ show, but they rerecorded with him now that it's a movie?

Did they originally get Dan Castellaneta to do the dialog?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Voice actors often come in for several sessions. Not uncommon for them to do lines and then animation will try to match it. Which leads to changes and the actor coming back in to do some extra lines and clean up others.

choco choco

Still not sure why its a big deal that he is completing his recording sessions only 6 months before release.

Voice work is usually the first thing recorded. Animation doesn't really even start until the voice performance is finished, since they have to sync the animation to the vocal performance.

Six months is not even remotely enough time to do animation. One year and six months isn't really enough time. Animation takes a long, long time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Voice work is usually the first thing recorded. Animation doesn't really even start until the voice performance is finished, since they have to sync the animation to the vocal performance.

Six months is not even remotely enough time to do animation. One year and six months isn't really enough time. Animation takes a long, long time.
Except in this case this is not starting a feature film from the ground up. This is turning an animated series (one that was likely fairly far into production) that was previously slated for a D+ release and making it a feature film. So any voice work for the series done by voice-over actors would have been recorded long ago, and that would have been used for the animatics and full animation. This is a rerecording of that voice work and potentially adding additional scenes with the original actors from the first film. So again I don't see how this is some big deal that its done 6 months prior. That still gives enough time to reanimate any scenes that need to be done to make the voice sync with the animation.

Basically think of it similar to having actor to come back after the animation is done to rerecord lines as needed in post-production.

Tha Realest

Except in this case this is not starting a feature film from the ground up. This is turning an animated series (one that was likely fairly far into production) that was previously slated for a D+ release and making it a feature film. So any voice work for the series done by voice-over actors would have been recorded long ago, and that would have been used for the animatics and full animation. This is a rerecording of that voice work and potentially adding additional scenes with the original actors from the first film. So again I don't see how this is some big deal that its done 6 months prior. That still gives enough time to reanimate any scenes that need to be done to make the voice sync with the animation.

Basically think of it similar to having actor to come back after the animation is done to rerecord lines as needed in post-production.
ADR post-production is not the same as voice recording the principal actor a few months before release. This is highly unusual in animated films. We’ll see how it turns out in a few months!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
ADR post-production is not the same as voice recording the principal actor a few months before release. This is highly unusual in animated films. We’ll see how it turns out in a few months!
I would agree this is an unusual situation. But I wouldn’t say that 6 months is too short to make this work. Again this is not creating a brand new film from nothing.

And yes we’ll see later this year.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Huh? Isn't this supposed to come out in November of THIS year? How are they going to do that if they film this summer?
This isn't "filming" being done, its recording sessions of the actors for the animated sequel being released in November, Moana 2. This was originally a D+ series that is now being turned into a theatrical release.

The live action Moana is being released in 2026 I believe, and I don't think it started filming yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom