Mission:Space update (confirmed)

WDWFanDave

I'm looking forward to this getting some attention, like so many other attractions it really needs it. We (my DD and I) enjoy riding it each time we go, sometimes multiple times through. We stick to the less intense side, so I can't speak to the more intense one, but I feel like it's a pretty decent family attraction on the less intense side. There's no need to replace this one yet - I'd far prefer to see money spent on the WoL (now Festival Central) next door - leaving such a beautiful facility for dead, short of retail and food space, is a real waste of opportunity. I suspect it rakes in decent cash - but, if they'd just realize that a world-class technologically advanced attraction could do the same... Ultimately, my voice in the matter is limited to my willingness to reach out and share my thoughts with WDW directly. I do that. I encourage others to do that as well. There are no promises that any of our feedback will be acted upon - but, you never know.

michmousefan

New CM Explanation Scripting for MS:

"Orange Team, heads up. You'll be venturing to Mars - a cosmic wasteland that may have supported life at one time. The surface is desolate, inhospitable, and death lurks around every corner."

"Green Team, you're headed to Detroit. So, pretty much the same thing."
Just gotta leave this here:

http://www.modeldmedia.com

I understand you might have been going with a generic midwest city, but you should probably know a little about Detroit before you trash it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Mission: Space is no doubt flawed and largely underwhelming (except when it overwhelms for a few seconds with the bricks on your chest feeling). But the last thing EPCOT needs to do is shutter another pavilion and hope that a replacement will be an improvement. Horizons isn't coming back, and right now it's a passable attraction with good capacity and decent queue times. Besides, a new mission (if that's what's on tap) is going to be imminently better than Guardians of the Mission Breakout Space, right?

Personally, I'd place Mission: Space extremely low on my list of EPCOT/Future World priorities. Let it sit there and do what it does. I'll pop in every 6 months and ride one side or the other depending on how long the queues are and how I'm feeling. Wonders of Life, Energy, the Land, Imagination and plenty of stuff in World Showcase could use an overhaul/replacement above what Mission: Space needs. In fact, I'd like to see them finish Spaceship Earth's finale and address the Seas before touching Mission: Space in any major way. A few month rehab to make adjustments and updates is fine, but that's about all I think would be reasonable compared to the rest of EPCOT's needs.
They could always let the computer randomly pick a group to spin up to 8 or 9 G's... the survivors get free pins saying "I survived Mission:Space"...

October82

Mission: Space is no doubt flawed and largely underwhelming (except when it overwhelms for a few seconds with the bricks on your chest feeling). But the last thing EPCOT needs to do is shutter another pavilion and hope that a replacement will be an improvement. Horizons isn't coming back, and right now it's a passable attraction with good capacity and decent queue times. Besides, a new mission (if that's what's on tap) is going to be imminently better than Guardians of the Mission Breakout Space, right?

Say what you will about Mission: Space, it at least attempts something that would have felt at home in EPCOT Center.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thank you for your opinion, which is not shared by most people, especially not by guests in general.

Actually, that opinion is shared by a fair number of people, so thanks for completely discounting their opinions and putting yours above others.

I used to be able to ride M:S. The first time I rode it, back after it opened, I had no after-effects from it. I rode it a year later and it made me feel "funky" for 10-15 minutes afterwards. For the past 5-6 years, I can't even ride Orange without feeling sick afterwards. In light of that, I don't really care what they do with it, as I likely won't be riding it (unless I'm feeling really good or it's the end of the day and I can just go back to our room).

Goofyernmost

As someone who loved EPCOT this wouldn't even make my top 5 in problem changes to EPCOT.
Nor mine... Horizons was good, but, it just didn't have staying power. Once you saw it, you went for things that were more fun instead of going to that again. It is sometimes a simple difference that makes the difference. Horizons was great for it's time, but, it's time ran out. As time does for all of us.

INico

This is surprising news. This ride was the only reason I go to Epcot. I'd ride this about 20 times during my stay (no joke). I just wish it pulled 3 gs instead of 2.

Casper Gutman

Nor mine... Horizons was good, but, it just didn't have staying power. Once you saw it, you went for things that were more fun instead of going to that again. It is sometimes a simple difference that makes the difference. Horizons was great for it's time, but, it's time ran out. As time does for all of us.

Opinions are subjective, of course, but man, I disagree with this. Horizons - and all of the original omnimover crop of Epcot rides, particularly WoM, were very rerideable. The elaborately detailed scenery, the humor, the shifts between tones, the simple brilliance of the design - even the relaxing movement of the vehicles offered something appealing on every trip. In general, I feel dark rides have far longer shelf lives and are far more likely to inspire guest loyalty than most other types of attractions. There is a reason Pirates and HM are the crown jewels of the Disney parks. Had they survived a bit longer, I feel Imagination and, perhaps, WoM might have achieved the same status. As to fun - nothing at Epcot is as much fun for me as those old omnimovers.

I would argue Mission: Space is one of the least rerideable attractions Disney has ever built - the visuals are basic and uninteresting, the story bland, and the movement of the vehicle often unpleasant. Now that I think about it, M:S may be the worst ride at WDW - it's certainly in the bottom 5. I almost never want to see an attraction removed, but I think the best "remodel" for M:S would be to completely level it and start again.

Goofyernmost

Opinions are subjective, of course, but man, I disagree with this. Horizons - and all of the original omnimover crop of Epcot rides, particularly WoM, were very rerideable. The elaborately detailed scenery, the humor, the shifts between tones, the simple brilliance of the design - even the relaxing movement of the vehicles offered something appealing on every trip. In general, I feel dark rides have far longer shelf lives and are far more likely to inspire guest loyalty than most other types of attractions. There is a reason Pirates and HM are the crown jewels of the Disney parks. Had they survived a bit longer, I feel Imagination and, perhaps, WoM might have achieved the same status. As to fun - nothing at Epcot is as much fun for me as those old omnimovers.

I would argue Mission: Space is one of the least rerideable attractions Disney has ever built - the visuals are basic and uninteresting, the story bland, and the movement of the vehicle often unpleasant. Now that I think about it, M:S may be the worst ride at WDW - it's certainly in the bottom 5. I almost never want to see an attraction removed, but I think the best "remodel" for M:S would be to completely level it and start again.
To a handful of fans, you are correct. But, not to the general public otherwise you can bet they would still be there. EPCOT had Omni rides for SSE, Horizons, WoM and Imagination. Plus a small one at The Seas. Boat ride at Mexico and The Land which is essentially a floating Omni. It was saturated with the same thing. Yes, they were all different in content, but, they were enough alike to cause a lot of redundancy of motion and thought. I'm not the enemy here, I like Horizons too, but, I watched it die a slow death over the years going from queue lines that extended out the doors with an enormous internal queue as well, to a walk on. It had run its course with the public.

Another thing that drove in the coffin nail was that Epcot didn't promote itself in a way that would have captured the public's attention. It remained, for many years, a place touted as an educational experience. Problem? Well, people don't go on vacation to be schooled, they go for the entertainment value, which it also contained, but, that was never the promotional direction they took. Just a disclaimer here because I know I will be contradicted on this... this is strictly my opinion based on my feelings and my observations.

Casper Gutman

To a handful of fans, you are correct. But, not to the general public otherwise you can bet they would still be there. EPCOT had Omni rides for SSE, Horizons, WoM and Imagination. Plus a small one at The Seas. Boat ride at Mexico and The Land which is essentially a floating Omni. It was saturated with the same thing. Yes, they were all different in content, but, they were enough alike to cause a lot of redundancy of motion and thought. I'm not the enemy here, I like Horizons too, but, I watched it die a slow death over the years going from queue lines that extended out the doors with an enormous internal queue as well, to a walk on. It had run its course with the public.

Another thing that drove in the coffin nail was that Epcot didn't promote itself in a way that would have captured the public's attention. It remained, for many years, a place touted as an educational experience. Problem? Well, people don't go on vacation to be schooled, they go for the entertainment value, which it also contained, but, that was never the promotional direction they took. Just a disclaimer here because I know I will be contradicted on this... this is strictly my opinion based on my feelings and my observations.

I think you are oversimplifying the forces that led to Epcot's decline. It isn't simply that people stopped going on the rides - if that was sufficient reason to remove it, M:S would be gone (it's often a walk-on as well) along with the sad remnants of Imagination, Gran Fiesta Tour, and lots of rides at other parks. The bad decisions regarding Epcot were brought about by a web of forces that could fill a book, including changes at the corporate level during the second half of Eisner's reign, trends in the theme park industry, concern over Universal, etc., etc.

I never felt the saturation with Omnis was a genuine problem and I lack the statistics and figures to see if the general public did. Based strictly on the eye test, it seemed that lines at M:S matched those at late-era (higher capacity) Horizons very soon after opening.

If Disney management had wanted to add thrills, their were plenty of empty spots. Much of Horizon's "slow death" was the result of how it was handled - opened, closed, treated like an afterthought.

Basically, Horizons and classic Epcot didn't die because of unavoidable market forces - it was killed due to bad decision-making.

BEARSHOUSE4

Original Poster
It seems to me there are 2 groups of people: those who love M:S, and those who hate it. Not many things at WDW I could say that about. Usually people stay toward the middle,and enjoy all attractions. Not this one.

Casper Gutman

It seems to me there are 2 groups of people: those who love M:S, and those who hate it. Not many things at WDW I could say that about. Usually people stay toward the middle,and enjoy all attractions. Not this one.

OK, here's the part where I reveal my shame - I haven't read the whole thread. Are there really people who "love" M:S? Like, top 5 attraction at WDW "love"?

rocketraccoon

OK, here's the part where I reveal my shame - I haven't read the whole thread. Are there really people who "love" M:S? Like, top 5 attraction at WDW "love"?
I doubt there's many that would ever put it in a top 5 list like that (expect top 5 at Epcot, but there's not a ton of competition there)

The groups would be more "people who like M:S" and "people who hate M:S"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom