Mission Space to suffer the same fate as AE?

DarkMeasures

Original Poster
I was reading the Jim Hill article and it said that due to the space sickness problem, productions of the Mission Space's planned at every other Disney park have been canceled...

This is sad news.... even though it is old news...

And also, if you look at Alien Enocunter, it suffered the same fate. Due to lack of lines in the Disneyworld version, the Disneyland version never got built.

Does this mean that Mission Space will only last about 8 years before being replaced?

Well I certainly hope not. The imagineers must find a way to cure the sickness so the ride can stay for a long time to come.
I really wish though that the postshow would be redone in a grand scale, kinda like how al other pavilians are. There is a lot of room Behind Mission Space and with the way the ride exits are done, addition would be really of no problem.

But the sickness must be cured.... because I fear that this ride will only exist for a few years before becoming something else... like the Journey re-dos....

andre85

The illness is not nearly as large an issue as Jim Hill makes it out to be. He has a history of exaggerating facts to meet his agenda. This liberal use of poetic license draws into question his journalistic integrity. I do not respect the man one bit.

Sir Hiss527

Mission Space is just getting started. It's going to be with us for a long while. Additions behind it? It doesnt need new additions, it's brand new. Just be grateful that Disney World is the only park that has, and will get Mission Space. I think in a couple of years though, there are going to be different ride videos.

imagineer boy

People are not getting sick on Mission: Space. Sure, there are a few people then and there who get sick, but not every single minuite. Jim Hill has been saying this lie forever. Jim Hill once again is trying to find something to write about.

agdbeanie

Originally posted by imagineer boy
People are not getting sick on Mission: Space. Sure, there are a few people then and there who get sick, but not every single minuite. Jim Hill has been saying this lie forever. Jim Hill once again is trying to find something to write about.

Ain't that the truth!!!
No offense meant to anyone, but comparing Mission Space to Alien Encounter is like comparing Expedition Everest to Honey I Shrunk the Audience.
Rides and shows can not be compared and used as predictors in the ultimate fate of the attraction. AE was basically a show with a lot of special effects.
Like a lot of rides, Mission Space will get a lot more repeat customers that AE ever did/would. People ride it again and again (if they can--lines=:brick: ) but are less likely to walk out of a show and turn around and go right back in again.

I was one of the unfortunate, :hurl: , maybe the breakfast pizza was not such a good idea after all. Seriously, I was very disappointed in myself for contributing to this unfortunate stigma. I'd endure much worse for the sake of Disney, next time no breakfast pizza, just Dramamine ! :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by DarkMeasures
I was reading the Jim Hill article and it said that due to the space sickness problem, productions of the Mission Space's planned at every other Disney park have been canceled...

I wouldnt believe everything you read, especially from certain sites.

Mission Space remains set to open in Tokyo Disneyland, hence the legal action from ETC trying to sue over not being awarded the fabrication contract for Tokyo.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by DarkMeasures

I really wish though that the postshow would be redone in a grand scale, kinda like how al other pavilians are. There is a lot of room Behind Mission Space and with the way the ride exits are done, addition would be really of no problem.

In the Original Space Pavillion plans, what exists now would only have been a pre show. They were really going to use all that land available - maybe incorporating the Horizons building into the design... this was a long time ago (See the concept art in some of the photo album) but once actually in orbit at Mars (not training to go to Mars) you would be in a Space Station literally looking down on the Red Planet. The main attraction was planned around a Zero-G spacewalk, but considering how much what we got cost (anyone have an exact figure - I`ve heard $150-200 million) its surprising we didn`t just get Star Tours/Body Wars motion bases!

Dayma

But the sickness must be cured.... because I fear that this ride will only exist for a few years before becoming something else... like the Journey re-dos

Cant pop a pill to fix this :)

Seriously though.....the way this ride works and is designed can make people sick and for long periods of time(hours). It is not like a star tours where someone may feel sick while on the ride but off it they are fine. The G's that you pull and "how" you pull them can have long lasting effects on certain people.

Spectroman2003

I am so sick of people making rumors about stupid stuff like this? The ride just opened and some idiot is making speculation that it'll only be around for a short time. It just opened. Besides, there a 3,3,3,3,3, I repeat 3,3,3,3,3 warnings about sickness before you get on the ride. Don't get on it! It's not that hard!

matrod13

I rode MS last week and I was surprised at how overrated and intense the warnings for the ride were. I saw tons of little kids that you would never see on Rockin Rollercoaster (for instance, our pilot was about 4-5 yrs old). It is, I admit, a much different experience than a roller coaster; you feel much more "weight" on you, but in a very smooth way (hard to explain...) In any case, follow their advice "Keep your eyes on the screen and your head flat against the headrest"

andre85

Originally posted by Spectroman2003
I am so sick of people making rumors about stupid stuff like this? The ride just opened and some idiot is making speculation that it'll only be around for a short time.

Enter Jim Hill.

DarkMeasures

Original Poster
Re: Re: Mission Space to suffer the same fate as AE?

Originally posted by marni1971
In the Original Space Pavillion plans, what exists now would only have been a pre show. They were really going to use all that land available - maybe incorporating the Horizons building into the design... this was a long time ago (See the concept art in some of the photo album) but once actually in orbit at Mars (not training to go to Mars) you would be in a Space Station literally looking down on the Red Planet. The main attraction was planned around a Zero-G spacewalk, but considering how much what we got cost (anyone have an exact figure - I`ve heard $150-200 million) its surprising we didn`t just get Star Tours/Body Wars motion bases!

Yeah. I saw the plans in your gallery... and it made me sad. Especially compared to what we have not. The post-show of Mission Space looks like it costs less than building a ChuckyCheeses....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
oops... not in my gallery. That should read `in someONES photo album`!

You are right though - I`ve not ridden M:S but from what I`ve seen the post show is a real let down considering what could have been. At least there is a large gift shop at the exit. Phew.

jrriddle

I was under the impression the reason Disneyland in California wasn't getting M:Space was the simple fact that there just was no room for it.

DarkMeasures

Original Poster
Well room probably can be made easily though I have never been to Disneyland. CoP building is dead, Circlevision building is dead, Star Tours is old, Pizzaport's building could be used and I am sure there is more room behind the berm.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah.. M:S was going to be a franchise... since the R&D was done it would have made returns pretty quick. Even WDS Paris was to get one!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom