Mine Ride Construction Update

AEfx

Btw, I have to ask my American friends why they all refer to universities as 'college'. They have names like 'Florida State University', 'University of Nevada Las Vegas' and 'Harvard University'. But when you talk to someone from the U.S., they talk about 'going to college'. It's even called 'College Football', but it's university football. :confused: (In Canada, colleges and universities are both post secondary institutions, but have different course offerings, program lengths, etc.)

It's simply the vernacular used in the US for post-secondary education. Technically, a university is a collection of colleges, so to us it's a place and not a thing. You mentioned Harvard - Harvard University is actually two schools, one of which is Harvard College (and usually the one someone is referring to when they say Harvard).

When you hear someone say "They go to University" it's almost always someone from the UK or Canada (an American saying that would be considered very pretentious - like one who calls an elevator a "lift" etc. - think Madonna when she turned British for a few years there) - similar to how they "go to Hospital" and we "go to the hospital".

A University is the place, college is the thing you go there to do (get a post-secondary education). And since most Universities have colleges but not all colleges are part of Universities, it just is easier to ask "Where did you go to college?" as there is no distinction between stature and it's simply understood "where did you get your post-secondary education".

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Isn't that the indoor queue/load entrance, or is there something else?

Yeah, looking at the map from One Man's dream that would have to be the entrance since is has a long path leading to it. There is a second hole in the mountain closer to the cottage which must be the exit. I would go with your assumption that the current gift shop is just going to get a re-furb and remain Snow White themed, maybe with an addition of an area for ride pictures.

Map.jpg

kcnole

It's simply the vernacular used in the US for post-secondary education. Technically, a university is a collection of colleges, so to us it's a place and not a thing. You mentioned Harvard - Harvard University is actually two schools, one of which is Harvard College (and usually the one someone is referring to when they say Harvard).

When you hear someone say "They go to University" it's almost always someone from the UK or Canada (an American saying that would be considered very pretentious - like one who calls an elevator a "lift" etc. - think Madonna when she turned British for a few years there) - similar to how they "go to Hospital" and we "go to the hospital".

A University is the place, college is the thing you go there to do (get a post-secondary education). And since most Universities have colleges but not all colleges are part of Universities, it just is easier to ask "Where did you go to college?" as there is no distinction between stature and it's simply understood "where did you get your post-secondary education".

There's actually more to it than that. There are different labels depending on the types of degrees offered. If the school only offers Associate Degrees (a 2 year degree) then it is referred to as a Junior College. If it offers at least one Bachelor's degree (a 4 year degree) then it is a college. If the school offers at least one post-graduate degree (Master's/Doctorate/Professional) then it can be referred to as a University.

While not a requirement, generally Universities are also heavily invested in research whereas a College's primary function is to simply teach.

dman1373

There's actually more to it than that. There are different labels depending on the types of degrees offered. If the school only offers Associate Degrees (a 2 year degree) then it is referred to as a Junior College. If it offers at least one Bachelor's degree (a 4 year degree) then it is a college. If the school offers at least one post-graduate degree (Master's/Doctorate/Professional) then it can be referred to as a University.

While not a requirement, generally Universities are also heavily invested in research whereas a College's primary function is to simply teach.
i culd hardli folow that beeng that i only gradudated fom kidneaafgardeaen.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

If anyone posted this i am sorry didn't feel like checking back 20 pages but did everyone see the render of the seven dwarf mine train? If the ride ends up looking half as beautiful as that I will be more than pleased. start at 6:32

Thanks for posting this. I noticed it during the parade but it went by so quick I couldn't get a good look at it.

ABQ

Yup that's the one, If I am correct its right before the bridge section near bog and belles enchanted tales. But that definitely wasn't open before.
It is where you think it to be. I assume there are plans to one day have water flowing under that bridge? Last I looked, while waiting on the bridge at the entrance to BOG and looking toward the mine train bridge there was a silly picture of fake water filling the space.

Sped2424

Yes, when you look over the bridge at BOG, the river bank looks so beautiful until you look at the ugly fake picture of water that is now covered in algae where the water touches it. I can't wait for it to be gone!
It will be gone soon, whenever they get the water up and running we can kiss those ugly scrim things goodbye.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom