Mine Ride Construction Update

Pixiedustmaker

If anybody is still interested, I found a shot of the D23 7DMT model with probably as good a shot as any of the putative log bridge as I've seen: (Doesn't look like the upper bridge which is made to look dwarf-made, more like a log/stone.)

fantasylandfisheye01t.jpg

On Laughing Place, there is a photo of the perhaps equally controversial "mine train entrance", which now shows the yellow mesh for cement/rockwork wrapping around exactly like you'd (or at least I'd) expect for a faux-mine entrance. It looks to me like they are building an overhand here, perhaps to provide a bit of weather protection for whatever is there . . .

P03-1.jpg

SEVEN-DWARFS-MINE-TRAIN1.jpg

It will be interesting to see what comes of all of this . . .

Lee

Adventurer
If anybody is still interested, I found a shot of the D23 7DMT model with probably as good a shot as any of the putative log bridge as I've seen: (Doesn't look like the upper bridge which is made to look dwarf-made, more like a log/stone.)

Point out the "log bridge", please...

On Laughing Place, there is a photo of the perhaps equally controversial "mine train entrance", which now shows the yellow mesh for cement/rockwork wrapping around exactly like you'd (or at least I'd) expect for a faux-mine entrance.
I don't see it. Not saying they won't build one, 'cause I don't know. But as of now....don't see it.

Pixiedustmaker

Point out the "log bridge", please...

Can't tell if it is a log bridge, or just a big oddly shape stone . . . if I built a lodge bridge, it would kinda have to be "squat" to accomodate the train, like that . . . can't even tell if thing crosses the water. Don't see anything remotely like a standard man-made bridge in this area . . . if the white thing is meant to represent the path of water, then the second bridge isn't even this D23 model . . .

My best guess is that this is a gigantic "rock" (rock work the train goes over, though it sure looks like a stump! Odd jagged edges . . . wow, sure looks different from all the other relatively more rounded rockwork in the model.

Could this be it?

I would say it doesn't disprove the existence of a man-made bridge on the lower level for the first water crossing . . . might be a gigantic rockwork piece that the man made bridge is meant to look as though it is anchored on, just it looks so much like the stump of a tree . . . odd

Lee

Adventurer
Can't tell if it is a log bridge, or just a big oddly shape stone . . . if I built a lodge bridge, it would kinda have to be "squat" to accomodate the train, like that . . . can't even tell if thing crosses the water. Don't see anything remotely like a standard man-made bridge in this area . . . if the white thing is meant to represent the path of water, then the second bridge isn't even this D23 model . . .

My best guess is that this is a gigantic "rock" (rock work the train goes over, though it sure looks like a stump! Odd jagged edges . . . wow, sure looks different from all the other relatively more rounded rockwork in the model.

Could this be it?

I would say it doesn't disprove the existence of a man-made bridge on the lower level for the first water crossing . . . might be a gigantic rockwork piece that the man made bridge is meant to look as though it is anchored on, just it looks so much like the stump of a tree . . . odd
I still don't see where you are talking about on the model photo.
The only other water crossing is almost directly underneath the "dwarf-made" bridge, and is not visible in that photo.

We've taken this discussion about as far as it can go at this point, but I'll finish up with two more photos for now.
This one is an aerial view of that area. The "dwarf-made" bridge is incomplete, but notated by the brown drawing. The other crossing is circled in yellow and is part of the upward helix. Again, not straight, and not a log.
helix2.jpg

Then there is this frame from the preview video clearly showing the area. Note the distinct lack of any log bridge, but instead a normal upward helix with a guest evac walkway on the side.
bridgegoodview.jpg

Until the area is complete and we get better photos, I don't think there is any more to discuss.

Fairybuzz

I just saw the virtual ridethrough It looks pretty nice. I can't help but be reminded of the Matterhorn with the rocks and the track being similar.

Pixiedustmaker

The blue shaded area is where I think the faux mine train entrance will go, (I put the mine entrance in blue, and shaded in some yellow where I think the rock work will go, more or less).

fauxmineentrance.jpg

P03-1.jpg

I really couldn't tell what the "stump" is, but I highlighted it in red.

logbridge1.jpg

fantasylandfisheye01t.jpg

Pixiedustmaker

The other crossing is circled in yellow and is part of the upward helix. Again, not straight, and not a log.

I was assuming that if there was a log bridge, they might well take a big of artistic license and kinda "bend" the log a bit. Of course, if the log segment is short, i.e. only 5-8 feet to get a cross a small "creek" . . . then the curvature wouldn't be as pronounced. The concept art seems to show a curved train path with a small segment bridged by a log.

seven-dwarfs-mine-train-concept-art.jpg

Nice image, and I really do appreciate the aerial photo! Can't wait to see what happens with this area architecturally . . .

Pixiedustmaker

Based upon Lee's aerial photo and filling in blue for where it looks like the water would go based on depressions in the ground and the known location of the bridge, I see a little span where a log bridge (theoretically) would go (light brown), based on the size of the people, the span would be about 12-15 feet, could be done and would be pretty photogenic (for people on the bridge).

bridge_2.jpg

Pixiedustmaker

Then there is this frame from the preview video clearly showing the area. Note the distinct lack of any log bridge, but instead a normal upward helix with a guest evac walkway on the side.

I think the pathways often constructed around roller coasters in a themed environment are mostly used for maintenance to inspect the track, but maybe it is a long guest evac walkway from above?

Is there a "break zone" somewhere up on the second bridge way up in the air? And guests would in theory walk down from there via this route? Beats me, I'm not an expert in roller coaster design.

I just bring this up because I wonder if track inspection/maintenance issues precluded a log-bridge being put in (if it is not going to be there). BTMRR has bridge sections which are no doubt difficult to inspect daily before opening.

Maybe the evac walkways necessitated that the log bridge not be built? I think if the log was wide enough you'd have room for an evac/maintenance walkway.

328.JPG

The Empress Lilly

We've taken this discussion about as far as it can go at this point, but I'll finish up with two more photos for now.
You know what I appreciate about you Lee? More so than any info you share, it is that you always engage other posters with respect. You listen, you argue, and discuss the topic, instead of side-issues or perceived character flaws of your conversation partner. And always with respect for the poster and the dignity of this site.

None of the nonsense about 'ignore' (which is really the majority trying to silence minority opinion, any dissident), or name-calling, or proclaiming your conversation partner is a troll or has a mental disorder.

A beacon of civilisation and manners!

Pixiedustmaker

Has it occurred to anyone that the reason the log bridge was cut may simply be that when was the last time any of us saw railroad tracks on a fallen tree?

There's always a bit of artistic license. Why would a mine train have banked turns?

And when the last time you saw a roller coast fly through a dinosaur skeleton:

BigThunder2.jpg

I think the Dwarfs using a large fallen tree for a little homemade mine cart system kinda makes sense, especially if the tree is large and looks like it can easily hold the weight. Even so, I guess there is the small issue of having a gigantic tree trunk, and it being a bit larger than the real trees around the area. I think a good reason for doing it would be that it would look cool, and it would be one of those things that you'd only expect Disney to do . . .

And the Dwarfs do use a "log bridge" in the film, it's almost iconic:

SnowWhite4.gif

I don't think 7DMT has enough show scenes, and it needs all of the little "extras" which would make the ride unique and link it to the film/story.

Ignohippo

Not that all of this log bridge stuff isn't silly in the first place, but wouldn't it make more sense if the log bridge were actually built OVER the tracks/ride and have the dwarfs on it (rather than having it a part of the coaster track – which most people wouldn't even notice)?
It would seem that, if it were going to be an element of this ride, that's the way they would do it (and it would be done at the very end of construction).

Pixiedustmaker

Not that all of this log bridge stuff isn't silly in the first place, but wouldn't it make more sense if the log bridge were actually built OVER the tracks/ride and have the dwarfs on it (rather than having it a part of the coaster track – which most people wouldn't even notice)?
It would seem that, if it were going to be an element of this ride, that's the way they would do it (and it would be done at the very end of construction).

Such a feature was in an early concept art drawing, it showed a log with the dwarfs marching over it, and the mine train going underneath it.

doctornick

I always assumed that from the start this is what the plan was. Was the log bridge supposed to be part of the track of the ride? That makes no sense. I assumed it would be an outdoor scene that you would see from the ride as you describe.

MerlinTheGoat

I'd rather have the coaster go under a log bridge with the dwarfs walking overhead like the concept art indicated. Sadly it sounds like this won't be happening (correct me if i'm wrong Lee or someone). The ride has been seriously scaled back since that art was done and it sounds like it's going to have far less theming outside than we originally thought it may.

Skibum1970

I'd rather have the coaster go under a log bridge with the dwarfs walking overhead like the concept art indicated. Sadly it sounds like this won't be happening (correct me if i'm wrong Lee or someone). The ride has been seriously scaled back since that art was done and it sounds like it's going to have far less theming outside than we originally thought it may.

I am looking forward to this ride but would have loved for Disney to have built the original version. Even if they had cut back on some of the theming, the length of the original would have been great. It would have rivaled BTMRR or at least come very close.

A quick remark about concept art. When auto shows are put on, automakers bring out concept cars. Many of these cars are working models. Most never go into production and, even if they do, the concept is generally radically changed. It was a log that doesn't exist anymore. Moving on...

Am very excited to see how the "mountain" fits into the new expansion area. Should be an incredible view.

ToTBellHop

I am looking forward to this ride but would have loved for Disney to have built the original version. Even if they had cut back on some of the theming, the length of the original would have been great. It would have rivaled BTMRR or at least come very close.

A quick remark about concept art. When auto shows are put on, automakers bring out concept cars. Many of these cars are working models. Most never go into production and, even if they do, the concept is generally radically changed. It was a log that doesn't exist anymore. Moving on...

Am very excited to see how the "mountain" fits into the new expansion area. Should be an incredible view.
Perhaps the sad reality is that people are realizing this ride will be nice, but not THAT impressive such that the loss of a log is a big deal. Think of it this way--if the Haunted Mansion were being built today, and we learned that ONE ghoul was being cut from the budget, no one would care. And yet we care about a log missing from the capstone of the FLE. What does that say about the ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom