"Mickey's Death Wheel"

WishIwasThere

Raven, I am surprised by peoples reaction to the fun wheel. My DW, who is extremely motion sickness prone, looovvved the fun wheel when we were there last month. It was one of her favorite rides. To tell you the truth, that shocked me. My DD, DS, and I had just done California Screaming, and the DD was a little wobbly in the knees so I suggested we do the non swinging gondola, but the DS wanted the swinging and the DW wanted to try it (which again, was a shock). So I took the DD onto the non-swinging while the DW and DD were in an adjacent swinging one. She rode it again with the DD the next day while the DS and I did back to back rides on CS.

lilclerk

This is the only ride I've ever been on that truly terrified me to the point where I won't go on it again, haha. Craziness. I was there with a friend I hadn't seen since high school (about 5-6 years after we graduated) and he was totally fine on it, he thought I was nuts.

shipley731

When we went to DCA last May, my husband wanted to ride. Me, being the enormous chicken that I am, said, go right ahead, I'll wait for you here. He got in the line for the swinging gondolas. I looked at the line, shook my head and went to get a beverage as I knew he had a little bit of a wait. When finally got off of the ride, he was a little green. Normally, he doesn't have reactions to rides. That one did him in - he said never again. I told him they didn't call it Mickey's Death Wheel for nothing.

sweetpee_1993

We rode it right after Screamin'. Made me feel a bit yucky. I was surprised (& proud!) DS18 went on it with us. He's like really afraid of heights. So I was sitting next to him. The first time the gondola cut loose I was a hollering idiot. What I was actually saying was to my son to try & comfort him because in my mind, I guess, if it was freaking me out then he would be worse. But he was dead silent. Like a rock. I, on the other hand, was gripping the seat, squealing, and yammering a mile a minute, "Its ok. It's ok. It's just a swing. OH MY GAAAAAWWD!!!!" My husband & DS16 were sitting across from the stone silent rock & the freaking out idiot just dying laughing. Yep, we have video. I only freaked out the first few swings. Then I started watching the track to see when it was going to happen. Not as terrifying if you know its about to cut loose. For the duration I was also focusing on not yacking. I definitely felt yucky from the swinging.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Raven, I am surprised by peoples reaction to the fun wheel. My DW, who is extremely motion sickness prone, looovvved the fun wheel when we were there last month. It was one of her favorite rides. To tell you the truth, that shocked me. My DD, DS, and I had just done California Screaming, and the DD was a little wobbly in the knees so I suggested we do the non swinging gondola, but the DS wanted the swinging and the DW wanted to try it (which again, was a shock). So I took the DD onto the non-swinging while the DW and DD were in an adjacent swinging one. She rode it again with the DD the next day while the DS and I did back to back rides on CS.

I'm surprised you and your family were so calm, truly. The swinging gondolas don't look too bad from the ground, far away, but it's all an illusion. Once your gondola slides down with force and hits that first hinge, or tilt, and you swing back and forth, it's over. I've never screamed so loud before on a ride. I've been on multiple coasters at theme parks, but Mickey's Fun Wheel takes the cake as the most terrifying and scariest ride I've ever experienced. I felt like I was swinging to my death. I for sure knew our gondola would swing off, into the lagoon, and we'd all drown and die. As of right now, I have no plans on getting back on this thing. I'm not saying never again, though.

JillC LI

In a million year I would never go on that ride. I have no intention of doing so in two weeks when we are there for the first time. I will take pics from the ground of my hubby and kids on it because I'm sure they will want to.

But now you guys have me concerned whether I'm up to Goofy's Ski School. Gotta find a Youtube video of it and check it out.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
In a million year I would never go on that ride. I have no intention of doing so in two weeks when we are there for the first time. I will take pics from the ground of my hubby and kids on it because I'm sure they will want to.

But now you guys have me concerned whether I'm up to Goofy's Ski School. Gotta find a Youtube video of it and check it out.

Goofy's Sky School isn't scary, I think you'll be fine on that one. Stay away from the Fun Wheel, though.

sweetpee_1993

Goofy's Sky School is the Primeval Whirl without the spinning. Nothing to it.

sweetpee_1993

Wimps! Last time I rode, I stood sideways in the cage and after it runs out to the end, you can use your body weight to keep the car swingin'. Good fun.
What were you on?!?! LOL! Just kidding! My 16 yro was sitting across from me. While he was laughing he was moving his torso forwards & back as if he was trying to swing it more. I yelled at him to stop making it worse. :oops: I don't think he actually was. He's tall and extremely thin so his light weight couldn't have done much.

JillC LI

Goofy's Sky School isn't scary, I think you'll be fine on that one.

Goofy's Sky School is the Primeval Whirl without the spinning. Nothing to it.

Hmm, I haven't exactly worked up the courage to try Primevil Whirl yet! LOL. The combo of rollercoaster and spinning freaks me out. I like BTMRR and RNRC, and I can manage Space Mtn, but I hated Everest because I don't like big drops. Whaddya think in light of that background?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
What were you on?!?! LOL! Just kidding! My 16 yro was sitting across from me. While he was laughing he was moving his torso forwards & back as if he was trying to swing it more. I yelled at him to stop making it worse. :oops: I don't think he actually was. He's tall and extremely thin so his light weight couldn't have done much.

It's dangerous enough. Why would anyone want to put undo stresses on the clearly stressed mechanism? My stomach hurts thinking about this thing. One day one of those cages is gonna fly right off, and then who will be laughing? No one. That's who. Maybe they should take the BAH and put it where the "Fun" Wheel is/was, and just prevent the eventual flying cage accident.

sweetpee_1993

Hmm, I haven't exactly worked up the courage to try Primevil Whirl yet! LOL. The combo of rollercoaster and spinning freaks me out. I like BTMRR and RNRC, and I can manage Space Mtn, but I hated Everest because I don't like big drops. Whaddya think in light of that background?
I think you'd be great on Goofy's Sky School. Honest. If you can deal with BTMRR (do NOT miss it in DL!) and RNRC, Goofy will be a total cake walk. There aren't big drops, only little dippy ones. You can see everything coming up because you stay faced forward the whole time vs. Primeval Whirl where you could be turned around at the dips or turns. If you can handle WDW's SM jerkiness you should be golden with that aspect of Goofy's. Plus, again you see the sharp turns coming so you can hang on and/or brace for it. SM you can't see it so well so a little jerky turns into insane jerky. I think you'd be fine!

sweetpee_1993

It's dangerous enough. Why would anyone want to put undo stresses on the clearly stressed mechanism? My stomach hurts thinking about this thing. One day one of those cages is gonna fly right off, and then who will be laughing? No one. That's who. Maybe they should take the BAH and put it where the "Fun" Wheel is/was, and just prevent the eventual flying cage accident.
The part that freaked me out was when the gondola would start sliding. It felt like someone pulling your seat out from under you. Then the swinging which at first is terrifying in an unsteady the world is turning over way but then as you sit there swinging it's a focus to find the horizon and not verp or full-on vomit. It was craaaaazy.

I'd do it again. :jawdrop: Just not right after California Screaming. The big coasters make this old gal's head a bit swimmy. Following that with a straight walk-on onto the swinging death wheel gondola was not very smart on my part. Shoulda had a cold bottle of water & a little rest first. :happy:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

Well, GSS doesn't spin, but there is one drop that may be a little steep for you. I guess you will have to look at a video haha.

Fox&Hound

Oh my gosh- this post is so true! I rode this last year with my wife and almost had a freakin' heart attack. And we didn't even do the swinging carts-just watching them on the ride I thought people were going to die. I hate this ride with a fiery passion. It's like being in a metal cage, melting in the sun, all the while wondering when you will fall into the water below. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! So, so scary!

Last edited:

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I'm in the camp that doesn't find this ride to be that big of a deal. If you are afraid of heights or have motion sickness, yeah I can understand. Otherwise, I don't understand how it's scary. The little ones in my family LOVE it!

Tip: it seems like the swinging cars that load on the left side (Pluto & Goofy) have less momentum and do not swing as much during the load/unload cycle. Something to do with their placement on the wheel when it stops to load/unload passengers. It doesn't stop at just the right angle it needs to slide down quickly.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I didn't think the swinging was that bad when I rode it a couple years ago. Now Hubby won't ride the swinging ones so we always do the stationary due to his motion sickness. Just like we always have to ride level green at Mission Space at Epcot because of his motion sickness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom