Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

mikejs78

Premium Member
The Tower of Terror isn’t just a ride set in the universe of the Twilight Zone, guests are shown old footage of a lost episode until they ironically choose to experience the horrors for themselves. On RnRC riders are just looking at the recoding studio until they feel the thrill of being whisked to backstage of a concert. On the Great Movie Ride guests are passive viewers until their tour becomes part of the movies. The Indiana Jones stunt show displays impressive stunts before highlighting the production as guests join the performance itself. Animation building, backlot tour, streets of Hollywood, etc.
The problem is here, that what you state here is a plot device, not a theme. Now, normally I wouldn't care about such technical minutae, but you are the one who has been pushing the idea that modern DHS has no proper theme. And when pressed, you don't seem to be able to come up with anything for old MGM that fits the definition of theme.

Regarding things fitting in multiple parks - sure, but that's always been the case. Small World, Carousel of Progress, PeopleMover could all easily fit into Epcot. Jungle Cruise into DAK. That's not really an argument.

No Name

I find it concerning when folks argue that because something was never strong there’s no reason to expect or push for it to be strong in the future. It goes against the whole idea of progress and society’s longterm history of it.

The problem is here, that what you state here is a plot device, not a theme. Now, normally I wouldn't care about such technical minutae, but you are the one who has been pushing the idea that modern DHS has no proper theme. And when pressed, you don't seem to be able to come up with anything for old MGM that fits the definition of theme.

Regarding things fitting in multiple parks - sure, but that's always been the case. Small World, Carousel of Progress, PeopleMover could all easily fit into Epcot. Jungle Cruise into DAK. That's not really an argument.

I thought I explained it fairly well, but in the words you specifically quoted, yes there are a lot of plot devices present. And that’s my fault. For what it’s worth I’m actually impressed you were able to identify that. Some people don’t even know what setting is.

To your second paragraph, the difference is that every major attraction Disney’s opened stateside in the last 12 years would supposedly fit in this one park. That’s never remotely been the case. If Bob Iger and his successors were to continue this trend forever, and I don’t see an end particularly soon, would all of the parks have the same base “theme” as DHS, just with additional primary themes of their own?

This is where the rub is, when I point out the inconsistencies they don't think they have.

The problem is that, when you point out inconsistencies, it helps to have a base level understanding of what you’re taking about. Conversations like this unfortunately reveal more inconsistencies in your own understanding of the subject. Or quips like this simply ignore pages of criticism. Sometimes your posts are well-informed and well-written (even if I disagree), but I just wish that were the case more often. I think I’m finished here, carry on.

Smooth

TJJohn12

Not a theme by the literary definition that @egg us using.

I’ll give @egg some play in their tighter definition though - good constructive themes for experience planning (in the broader interpretive world) usually have an emotion or human universal somewhere inside (love, joy, exploration, loss, heartbreak...).

“The Hollywood that never was and always will be...” is still just a topic, not a theme persay.

That said, most themes that are useful for complex planning don’t show up in the title or headline of a project. “Frontierland” isn’t a theme, it’s a topic and timeframe like DHS’s “Hollywood...” line is. But Walt’s dedication speech pushed to the true thematic elements: faith, courage, and ingenuity.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I’ll give @egg some play in their tighter definition though - good constructive themes for experience planning (in the broader interpretive world) usually have an emotion or human universal somewhere inside (love, joy, exploration, loss, heartbreak...).

“The Hollywood that never was and always will be...” is still just a topic, not a theme persay.

That said, most themes that are useful for complex planning don’t show up in the title or headline of a project. “Frontierland” isn’t a theme, it’s a topic and timeframe like DHS’s “Hollywood...” line is. But Walt’s dedication speech pushed to the true thematic elements: faith, courage, and ingenuity.
Ok, now since no one else can come up with it, I'd argue that DHS's theme for both the old and new incarnations is human creativity, wonder, and inagination. In old MGM, it was about the creative process in regards to film, TV, music, etc. In new DHS, it's about the incredible worlds that are imagined and brought to life through these media.

So DHS theme has not or is not changing; rather its topic is changing, and both incarnations are equally thematic.

Cmdr_Crimson

Such sad news, she’s been Minnie for my entire life. I’d imagine they recorded runaway railway very far in advance...would they make this her last time as Minnie, or maybe they have lots more shorts not aired yet. Such an amazing talent.

There are probably a few more shorts that were done and also the new Minnie's holiday Firework show at MK will have her voice being used I'm sure.

Magenta Panther

After the news of Russi Taylor's passing, Elyse Willis shared this photo of Russi during a recording session for Runaway Railway.

The latest Mickey Mouse short "Carried Away" also marked the last short that aired while she was still alive.

Bob Iger's statement on Russi's passing

That's one of the most charming of the new Mickey cartoons. (But whoa, that poor mouse. He's giving a certain coyote a run for his money...).

Very sad to read about Russi Taylor. What a great voice actress, and what a phenomenal career. She and her Wayne are singing a Silly Symphony in heaven right now. Rest well, Russi. :cry:

Ponderer

They're written really well. We always watch them if they're doing a marathon on Disney xd or while visiting thr parks on their internal channel.

Oh yeah. We discovered the shorts during a rest day on our trip last year, and we were entranced. It may be our favorite iteration of Mickey ever, especially the beautifully done international ones.

Movielover

They're written really well. We always watch them if they're doing a marathon on Disney xd or while visiting thr parks on their internal channel.
Oh yeah. We discovered the shorts during a rest day on our trip last year, and we were entranced. It may be our favorite iteration of Mickey ever, especially the beautifully done international ones.

What really surprised me was just how much heart they have. Yes they have flashy animation and sometimes gross out humor, all of which I love, but at the core the characters all feel so warm and inviting. Especially the love between Mickey and Minnie. At the end of the day the Mickey here is still Mickey and the hero. It's perfect example of updating characters and stories to modern audiences while keeping true to the characters as Walt created them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom