Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

peter11435

I thought so. I always see Ops Cast getting flak for this, but I was fairly certain that they no longer had any control over it.

The cast open and close the foyer doors. The foyer show, the stretch show, and the stretch entrance and exit doors all operate automatically. The cast have no control over the show or stretching.
So, that begs the question... did 2007 WDI ignore the design principles of the attraction, or did park management give them a mandate to change the SOP to push more guests through?

Yes

TheGhostWithTheMost

The Haunted Mansion is not the CM's fault. It's managment/upper managment. In their operating guide that they are legally required to follow, it says to close the doors of guest flow into the foyer when the ghost host says "ghoulish delight." That's literally the end of the spiel. Then, there job is to cattle herd them into the Stretch Room as quickly as possible because the CM has 100% no way of controlling the Stretch Room audio/stretching. Blame managment, specifically upper managment. Though, It was in park managment who allowed for both Stretch Rooms to have their doors permanently open one afternoon with guests free flowing through them.... for "efficiency." There are (or were) some real callus clowns in Adventureland/Liberty Square managment.

yensidtlaw1969

I thought so. I always see Ops Cast getting flak for this, but I was fairly certain that they no longer had any control over it.

So, that begs the question... did 2007 WDI ignore the design principles of the attraction, or did park management give them a mandate to change the SOP to push more guests through?

I have a strong feeling I know the answer.
The HM Preshow did indeed become automated in the 2007 ReHaunting, but it actually wasn't until a short time after (a matter of months? Maybe a year or two?) when the lengths of each sequence were edited to the new, rushed pace. Sailing was pretty smooth for a nice little while after the automation, it was the somewhat arbitrary contraction of the preshow events that have thrown the system out of whack.

Kman101

They designed Haunted Mansion very well. The current issue has nothing to do with the design, and everything to do with the fact that current operating procedure ignores the design.

The foyer and stretch rooms are meant to act as preshows and holding areas, and the load hall should be essentially empty before the next group of guests enters it. However, with current operating procedure, the guests are shoved through the foyer and stretching rooms faster than designed, leading to bottlenecks and large lines of guests backing up in the load hall.

@marni1971 I was under the impression that show controls were automated during the 2007 rehaunting, and that Cast no longer had a manual show start option. Is this incorrect?

This.

The bottleneck is horrible show IMO. It's not fun at all merging into the hallway and fighting for a spot and getting pushed into and people confused on where to go and what to do ...

But it also speaks to a higher problem IMO, in that people aren't being given the time to appreciate what's around them and set up the experience. It's all about rushing onto the attraction as fast as you can because you just have to get on it NOW.

WowFactor

This.

The bottleneck is horrible show IMO. It's not fun at all merging into the hallway and fighting for a spot and getting pushed into and people confused on where to go and what to do ...

But it also speaks to a higher problem IMO, in that people aren't being given the time to appreciate what's around them and set up the experience. It's all about rushing onto the attraction as fast as you can because you just have to get on it NOW.
That's the problem. People are considering the foyer and stretch rooms as queue. The are not, they are already the attraction.

Kman101

That's the problem. People are considering the foyer and stretch rooms as queue. The are not, they are already the attraction.

Yep, exactly.

It really sucks being herded like cattle into the loading room. Although I've yet to experience the main doors being left open. I've still been held, then moved into the stretching room. But it's been quite a few months since I've been on it. It'd be jarring to me to just enter and then walk all the way through into the loading room. I guess they tried that at one time?

djkidkaz

When is this expected to open next year? I'm surprised there hasn't been any more information if this is opening in 12 months or so.

ToTBellHop

When is this expected to open next year? I'm surprised there hasn't been any more information if this is opening in 12 months or so.
Ballpark September or October. Same as Galaxy’s Edge. They could open MMRR a bit before SWGE if they want but I don’t know that they do. Perhaps if TSL makes DHS a cluster they’ll rush on MMRR a bit. That last bit is pure speculation.

Kman101

I would think if they could they'd want to open this by May/June next year instead. I know the idea is probably to push SW and MM together but eh ... they can still do that. I think they'll be in some trouble when TSL opens, personally, with a lack of things to do elsewere. We're getting two rides that will be getting unbelievably long waits. But we'll see what they do. Anything new at WDW will be uber-crowded initially.

Are they going to acknowledge the park's 30th anniversary next year? It's nice three rides are opening for it, whether intentional or not.

The whole 50th celebration for WDW should have already been started, or promoted. We had Epcot's 35th last year, AK's 20th this year, DHS' 30th next year, MK's 50th in 2021, Epcot's 40th in 2022 ... I know they don't care about that kind of thing anymore but they could have really spun it and worked it and promoted new additions in a different way over the next 5 years.

NiarrNDisney

I'm surprised they aren't putting a bit of a rush on this and having it open somewhere in between TSL and SWGE say like Fall 2018 early 2019. I would think having another attraction to eat crowds would be needed. I think they may have shot themselves in the foot here not opening at least one more new attraction and not just walk through exhibits like Star Wars Launch Bay and the "updated" One Man's Dream.

Castle Cake Apologist

I'm surprised they aren't putting a bit of a rush on this and having it open somewhere in between TSL and SWGE say like Fall 2018 early 2019. I would think having another attraction to eat crowds would be needed. I think they may have shot themselves in the foot here not opening at least one more new attraction and not just walk through exhibits like Star Wars Launch Bay and the "updated" One Man's Dream.

I think their (somewhat misguided) plan is to have more than one BRAND NEW thing opening at the same time. If they open Mickey early, then the shine and hype has worn off by the time SWL opens. If they open them at the same time, I assume their thinking is that it's another new thing that people will want to do, thereby reducing some of the crowd from SWL.

The biggest problem with that is the fact that DHS has only 4 physical rides (6 once TSL opens), so it's going to be insanity no matter what.

NiarrNDisney

I think their (somewhat misguided) plan is to have more than one BRAND NEW thing opening at the same time. If they open Mickey early, then the shine and hype has worn off by the time SWL opens. If they open them at the same time, I assume their thinking is that it's another new thing that people will want to do, thereby reducing some of the crowd from SWL.

The biggest problem with that is the fact that DHS has only 4 physical rides (6 once TSL opens), so it's going to be insanity no matter what.

You're probably right!

I know its an unpopular opinion but I honestly think DHS could benefit from at least one or two of what others call carnival spinner rides. Not much of a crowd eater but those with little ones will have something more to occupy their high energy monsters and not with just some silly playground area. I have always thought Bugs Land in DCA was cute and well conceived, its a nice frame for It's Tough to be a Bug so why not add a few more to TSL to further fill out the land. A simple Carousel would bring an added sense of movement to a primarily stagnant Echo Park or Animators Courtyard.

Last edited:

shortstop

You're probably right!

I know its an unpopular opinion but I honestly think DHS could benefit from at least one or two of what others call carnival spinner rides. Not much of a crowd eater but those with little ones will have something more to occupy their high energy monsters and not with just some silly playground area. I have always thought Bugs Land in DCA was cute and well conceived, its a nice frame for It's Tough to be a Bug so why not add a few more to TSL to further fill out the land. A simple Carousel would bring an added sense of movement to and primarily stagnant Echo Park or Animators Courtyard.
I don’t disagree necessarily, but I think TSL fits that bill. IMO, what DHS needs is family friendly mid tier (C/D ticket rides). As of next year there will be 6 or 7 E tickets (depending on how you feel about TSMM) plus TSL.

Marc Davis Fan

You're probably right!

I know its an unpopular opinion but I honestly think DHS could benefit from at least one or two of what others call carnival spinner rides. Not much of a crowd eater but those with little ones will have something more to occupy their high energy monsters and not with just some silly playground area. I have always thought Bugs Land in DCA was cute and well conceived, its a nice frame for It's Tough to be a Bug so why not add a few more to TSL to further fill out the land. A simple Carousel would bring an added sense of movement to and primarily stagnant Echo Park or Animators Courtyard.

The problem is that carnival-style rides generally make the area they're in less immersive, and instead more like an amusement park. One of the features that makes the Disney experience so powerful is that the parks can create the perception that one has stepped into another time and place (immersion). That's what separates true theme parks from amusement parks.

And although I realize that carnival-style rides can be given a backstory/theming so they "fit" as part of an immersive environment (e.g., Dino-Rama), those are fairly transparent attempts to retroactively explain non-immersive elements, plus such rides will nevertheless weaken the aesthetic of the area.

IMHO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom