MEW's Dream Disney Resort - The Final Chapter - Winner of a Lemon Tree Award, Sponsored by Applebees

FigmentPigments

I'm a big fan of the Jungle Cruise myself (former Adventureland CM here), particularly the Jungle Cruise of yore. One of my favorite nerdy pastimes is to watch old documentaries about Disneyland specifically to watch the segments on the Jungle Cruise in all of its un-politically correct glory days. Supposedly, back in the day, skippers would shoot at all the hazards, not just the hippos. Of course, I'm a fan of not shooting endangered animals, but that general "pulp adventure" tone is something I want to bring back. I want to revitalize the concept of a "jungle world that never was."

While nowadays the ride is considered too corny to take seriously, I'd like to find a happy-medium between corny and dramatic for the non-seasonal Jungle River Cruise. Tokyo's current version does a good job at my general idea, but I want to take it an extra step further. After all, the Jungle Cruise was based off of Walt's True-Life Adventure films, and I really want to pay tribute to that, as well as the land's underlying backstory of Paradise Springs, a rundown fishing village on a remote desert island somewhere in the South Pacific. The story goes that this island was once home to a fascinating culture that have long-since vanished, only leaving behind a populace of exotic animals from all around the world. This negates the need for the Jungle River Cruise to be a trip across "international waters."

The Terror Cruise on the other hand will have a few jokes, but all-in-all, not too many. As it is based off of Hong Kong's Jungle River Cruise: Curse of the Emerald Trinity, the ride will be firmly rooted in a foreboding atmosphere with a few jump scares along the way. This is a distinctly unique experience that even rivals the overlay in which it is rooted.

Would you guys like an overview of the non-seasonal Jungle River Cruise, or would you rather me just continue to work on the final draft and post Jungle later?
Thanks for the clarification; I will have to check out the Hong Kong River Cruise then to get an essence of what you have in mind. The 'jungle that never was" is a great descriptor for this attraction, as it better explains what you are going for to me. Also...a pulp adventure; just reading that makes me wish this ride existed.

While I would eventually like an overview, I think the final draft is more important. I know I'm guilty of letting the details distract me from the big picture, and I don't want to direct anyone down that path. I look forward to the final draft whenever it's ready.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Okay, I'll hold off on posting Jungle until I've posted the final draft for sure.

"Pulp" is defined as "popular or sensational writing that is generally regarded as being of poor quality," as in "pulp fiction." Synonyms include trashy, cheap, sensational, lurid, tasteless, etc. "Pulp adventure" should be defined as the "un-politically correct" view of the world's jungles and tropical islands during the Golden Age of Cinema, seamlessly blended with the sensationalized craze of American Tiki Culture post-WWII. This is quite simply the best way to describe my Adventureland, and to an extent, Walt's original Adventureland of the 50s and 60s. I mean, take a look at the old headhunters and Trader Sam in old Disneyland documentaries. Sam has a nose-ring made out of bone. Yikes!

To simply put it, my Adventureland will be a sturdy mix between un-PC and PC, borderline risque, borderline appropriate. For example, the normal scene of "Headhunter Territory" is renamed to "Cannibal Country" in my version. Personally, I feel as if it is more "pulp" and less "PC," which is ultimately what I'm going for. The pirates in Rogue's Gallery will even be chasing women again, the Pooped Pirate once again brandishing a skirt (fun fact: the Pooped Pirate in DLP once held a bra).

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
image.jpeg

Unpolitically correct material aside, the above image is a painting painted by my dad around the year 2000 that really captures the essence of Americana I'm looking for in the architectural style and appearance of Eliasburg.

If anything, it is this painting that inspired the concept, right down to the Red Car, vintage cars parked along the street, and clear inspiration from a small town in the American Southwest, as seen in the sun-bleached pastels and in one case, mission-style architecture.

Not to not give credit to my dad, you can find his Facebook page for his current artwork here:

https://www.facebook.com/EricSmithRailroadArt/

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
davisjunglecruise1-300x179.png

Whilst searching the bowels of the internet, I've unveiled this long-lost piece of Marc Davis concept art for the Jungle Cruise, dated back to 1962. Courtesy of the Disney History Institute, this piece of art has inspired me to have yet another poll for you loyal readers.

A) Include this gag (in which hunters on an elephant safari have unintentionally burnt off a tiger's rear-end) in the Jungle River Cruise.

B) Include this gag as a majestic, turn-of-the-century painting in the Adventurer's Club.

C) Include this gag as the running them for a store in Adventureland, aka Bengal Barbecue (literally).

IAmNotAHufflepuff

davisjunglecruise1-300x179.png

Whilst searching the bowels of the internet, I've unveiled this long-lost piece of Marc Davis concept art for the Jungle Cruise, dated back to 1962. Courtesy of the Disney History Institute, this piece of art has inspired me to have yet another poll for you loyal readers.

A) Include this gag (in which hunters on an elephant safari have unintentionally burnt off a tiger's rear-end) in the Jungle River Cruise.

B) Include this gag as a majestic, turn-of-the-century painting in the Adventurer's Club.

C) Include this gag as the running them for a store in Adventureland, aka Bengal Barbecue (literally).

I'm going with C.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Okay, so since C seems to be the popular choice (so far), what would you like to see? Bengal Barbecue filled with tiger-themed around the story of this ill-fated hunting party? Or a gift shop in Paradise Springs called Tiger's Tail or something like that.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Update for y'all. I'm currently in the midst of going through and spell-checking/adding onto the introduction, Disneyland Hotel, Eliasburg and Adventureland, the completed portions of the final draft. Westernland has since begun work, and changes from the original piece are already underway. Right now I'm at a whopping 229 pages of content (this is all being written on a Google Docs document), so I'm definitely making good progress, but, as you can tell, it's taking me a lot longer than expected. I'd really, really like to have it out by July, but if I keep working at this pace (which, in hindsight is good for the sake of quality), it might be August by the time this project is completed to my liking.

I will try to keep posting regular updates and ideas to keep interest pumping through this thread, but I cannot guarantee anything huge in the meantime. I'll also be heading to WDW from July 17th through the 22nd, so I may return with more ideas to include in the final draft. Who knows! ;)

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Ironically, watching An Idiot Abroad on Netflix has inspired me to go back and do a little retooling and make a few additions to Adventureland before progressing further with Frontierland. I've also gone in to do a bit of work on grammar and certain wording. I want this to be as easy a read as possible. This is still happening guys, I promise.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I'm still hard at work on the final draft, I promise. I'd rather not rush things and pull out the absolute best bit of work possible. As of this writing, all of the completed portions of the final draft have been proofread and given slight adjustments and deletes. That being said, the introduction, Disneyland Hotel, Eliasburg, and Adventureland are officially done for the time being.

Anyone have any requests for details or updates?

FigmentPigments

I'm still hard at work on the final draft, I promise. I'd rather not rush things and pull out the absolute best bit of work possible. As of this writing, all of the completed portions of the final draft have been proofread and given slight adjustments and deletes. That being said, the introduction, Disneyland Hotel, Eliasburg, and Adventureland are officially done for the time being.

Anyone have any requests for details or updates?
As anxious as I am to read this, just focus on your draft. It will be worth it in the end.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Guys, I've seen some of the fantastic concept art for the Haunted Mansion by @Basketbuddy101...all I can say is that you are all in for a real treat, it looks fantastic. I'm a little saddened that the project on my end has gone through so many delays, the concept art alone makes me want to post it tomorrow. It's really incredible, guys. Stay tuned. On my end, I'm doing fine-tuning on the Jungle River Cruise's night time edition, so yes...I'm still in Adventureland.

Basketbuddy101

Guys, I've seen some of the fantastic concept art for the Haunted Mansion by @Basketbuddy101...all I can say is that you are all in for a real treat, it looks fantastic. I'm a little saddened that the project on my end has gone through so many delays, the concept art alone makes me want to post it tomorrow. It's really incredible, guys. Stay tuned. On my end, I'm doing fine-tuning on the Jungle River Cruise's night time edition, so yes...I'm still in Adventureland.

Which reminds me, there's still more art to collect so stay tuned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom