Masks at WDW

Would you go to WDW if you had to wear a mask

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Phonedave

Here is the thing - there are two kinds of masks. Those that protect you, and those that protect others.

N95 type mask, that are tight fitting and high filtration protect the wearer. Most of the time they do not protect the people around the wearer.

"Face covering" type masks protect those around you. When you speak (or cough, or sneeze, or mouth breathe) you shoot droplets of saliva everywhere - along with any sort of virus that may be in that saliva. Face covering masks stop this spit from flying.

By having everybody wear a face covering type mask, that means everybody is protected to some degree from everybody else. The good news is these masks don't have to be super air tight. A bandanna works, a dust mask works, a neoprene mask works, a balaclava works.

Here in NJ we have to wear them when going out and interacting with people. I wear them when grocery shopping, I wore one on Sunday while waiting in the sun for over hour to pick up food. I have worn one for years while cutting my grass in the August heat because I end up hacking up a lung if I don't - It really is not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

I mentioned it before—I worked in a hospital with full surgical garb on daily with heated rooms and was fine. The mask was not the issue...the nitrile gloves filling up with sweat were the issue; you’d try and put new gloves on and would either need to go up a size or wait until your hands “dried” because wet hands + gloves = bad combo! But again, you aren’t being forced to go to Disney to wear a mask one is required in the park. Don’t like the mask, don’t go. Wait until it’s no longer a requirement

Phonedave

I mentioned it before—I worked in a hospital with full surgical garb on daily with heated rooms and was fine. The mask was not the issue...the nitrile gloves filling up with sweat were the issue; you’d try and put new gloves on and would either need to go up a size or wait until your hands “dried” because wet hands + gloves = bad combo! But again, you aren’t being forced to go to Disney to wear a mask one is required in the park. Don’t like the mask, don’t go. Wait until it’s no longer a requirement

I do a lot of working with things that can cause contact dermatitis in the long term id not protected (as a hobby / DIY / home repair) such grease, oil, solvents, paints, varnishes, stains, etc and I wear nitrile gloves when I do. I agree, after an hour in the heat, they are full of sweat and your hands have swollen a 1/4" all around.

MickeyLuv'r

No backlash at all. If they require it, you do it or you stay home.

I'm not as certain as you that everyone in the parks will eagerly comply with WDW's new rules, and then what happens?

In the before times, I saw PLENTY of WDW meltdowns over dumb stuff.

What happens if someone sneezes or has an asthma attack at WDW? Will every nearby stranger react with compassion, or will they freak out?

Lilofan

I'm not as certain as you that everyone in the parks will eagerly comply with WDW's new rules, and then what happens?

What happens if someone sneezes or has an asthma attack at WDW? Will every nearby stranger react with compassion, or will they freak out?
I wasn't 6 feet away standing in line at Walgreens and the lady next to me went ballistic and screamed at me a few weeks ago.

IMFearless

Attachments

• 8A89181F-8A14-443B-9134-C5662960BCC3.jpeg
    8A89181F-8A14-443B-9134-C5662960BCC3.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 60

MickeyLuv'r

Don‘t park rules specifically prevent the wearing of masks for guests aged 14 years and above?

Actually, yes. I just saw this on the web page about a week ago.

Mind, they can easily change the web page, but it did make me think Disney will probably have to change that rule. Whether masks are required or not, some folks will likely want to be able to wear them.

Also, WDW will probably have to clarify which mask styles they permit.

Goofyernmost

It is up to Disney to enforce whatever provisions they put in there. They are lax on just about every other rule so I don't have a lot of hope that they will follow through on this one, if they decide that is a requirement. T

Last edited by a moderator:

MickeyLuv'r

And someone is going to try to argue that one at the front entrance of the park.

I suspect folks will act like the guy I saw a few days ago.
He had a mask, and wore it when he entered the store, but then he ripped it off as soon as he thought he was past security.

Except a different employee saw him, and told him he had to wear his mask.
Then a second clerk came by and both employees rolled their eyes and snickered.

Fortunately, no-mask guy didn't see the employees laughing at him.

I suspect, if WDW reopens with new rules, the scofflaws will tend to be like no-mask guy. They'll wear one to enter the park, and take it off when they think they can get away with it.

As with this posters in this thread, and just about every thread on the parks right now, many WDW visitors will be a little tense- one way or the other.

Goofyernmost

I suspect folks will act like the guy I saw a few days ago.
He had a mask, and wore it when he entered the store, but then he ripped it off as soon as he thought he was past security.

Except a different employee saw him, and told him he had to wear his mask.
Then a second clerk came by and both employees rolled their eyes and snickered.

Fortunately, no-mask guy didn't see the employees laughing at him.

I suspect, if WDW reopens with new rules, the scofflaws will tend to be like no-mask guy. They'll wear one to enter the park, and take it off when they think they can get away with it.

As with this posters in this thread, and just about every thread on the parks right now, many WDW visitors will be a little tense- one way or the other.
That's when you can expect backlash on the backlash. I can accept the no mask as long as there is sufficient distance between me and them, but if it's in my face, you can bet I am going to be vocal about it.

MickeyLuv'r

It is up to Disney to enforce whatever provisions they put in there. They are lax on just about every other rule so I don't have a lot of hope that they will follow through on this one, if they decide that is a requirement.
Sure it is up to Disney, but people are on edge right now.

It almost doesn't really matter if any individual is pro-mask or anti-mask, or if WDW has a mask rule, because our society is not united on this.

Just look at the anger in this thread.

MickeyLuv'r

That's when you can expect backlash on the backlash. I can accept the no mask as long as there is sufficient distance between me and them, but if it's in my face, you can bet I am going to be vocal about it.

This is my concern as well. (It didn't feel correct to click the like button.)

In some cases, CM's do enforce rules, but other times they don't. Still, my concern isn't so much how Disney will enforce rules, as much as how will guests treat each other if they think the person next to them is ill or isn't following the rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom