Masks at WDW

Would you go to WDW if you had to wear a mask

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Herdman

Keep in mind that - at least with Shanghai Disney - masks are not the only new rule. Drastically reduced attendance limits are also in place, as well as other protocols, making it easier for the existing number of CMs to monitor guests.
That is also true, but even at 25% capacity you're still talking 15-20,000 people. Also, the Chinese culture is completely different than ours where masks are much more prevalent in everyday life. One is a communist society where the governament controls the actions of the people. Those kinds of things are much harder for people to accept here. Rightfully so in my opinion. Not necessarily masks, just being controlled by the government in general.

CLEtoWDW

Dr Gottlieb just tweeted this regarding testing/positive cases. This is a good trend and if Disney’s strategy is to hold reopening until masks won’t be required for attendance they may be closer than many realize.

Attachments

• 02472CFE-214A-45BA-8199-D00176DF5AC7.png
    02472CFE-214A-45BA-8199-D00176DF5AC7.png
    184.6 KB · Views: 85

MissViv

I wore a mask to Wal-Mart for the first time today. I did not have any masks and could not find any available in the stores here but the state gave away free washable masks this week so I thought I would give it a try. Here in our small town, it is about 50-50 with people wearing masks.

My mask was black and stretchy and fit pretty well, although it had two ties in the back that was difficult to put on. I would prefer the ones that go around the ears. It was unbearably hot and the temp here today was cool in the 50's & rainy. I only wore it for half the time I was in the store. It was very uncomfortable and hot wearing the mask.

I ordered some Disney ones but, if they are not any better, I will cancel my reservation in October if Disney is still required you to wear a mask all day at the park or the resorts.

I cannot imagine wearing one all day at the parks.

Giss Neric

When for example you are in a grocery store for 30 minutes to an hour, if you feel like you need to take off the mask just slide it down so your nose can breathe properly. Make sure to put hand sanitizers every 5 to 10 minutes or whenever you touch the mask to slide it down or put it back on.

I am the type of person who likes to touch/inspect items to look at the ingredients, nutritional value or just check stuff. If you're not the type who sanitizes often, make sure to only touch the items that you are definitely putting in your cart.

Mind over matter. If you always think about you're in a mask every minute then you're gonna be miserable, whether in an AC room or under the sun. Just go in and FOCUS on what you need to do or buy, you won't realize you're wearing one.

Of course, it's a case to case basis and it's different in a theme park than a grocery but if people are already complaining in a grocery then most likely they will have a nervous breakdown in a theme park.

Last edited:

Giss Neric

Although this crazy dude was following safety protocols by wearing a mask AND even gloves, he pulled out a gun cause a kid got too close to him? Effects of pandemic are making people paranoid and crazy. There are numerous witnesses right there and he didn't even care.

Last edited:

Disneychef17

When for example you are in a grocery store for 30 minutes to an hour, if you feel like you need to take off the mask just slide it down so your nose can breathe properly. Make sure to put hand sanitizers every 5 to 10 minutes or whenever you touch the mask to slide it down or put it back on.

I am the type of person who likes to touch/inspect items to look at the ingredients, nutritional value or just check stuff. If you're not the type who sanitizes often, make sure to only touch the items that you are definitely putting in your cart.

Mind over matter. If you always think about you're in a mask every minute then you're gonna be miserable, whether in an AC room or under the sun. Just go in and FOCUS on what you need to do or buy, you won't realize you're wearing one.

Of course, it's a case to case basis and it's different in a theme park than a grocery but if people are already complaining in a grocery then most likely they will have a nervous breakdown in a theme park.
You bring up the most important point about mask wearing and what so many people fail to realize...

It's not about being selfish or thinking you're better than everyone... wearing a mask is something that 99% of our population never does. It is going to be uncomfortable. It's going to be hard to breath. It's going to be more of an annoyance than anything else. That is the problem!

What does that lead to? Constant touching of the masks, adjusting them, pulling them down, scratching beneath them (hello guys with beards)... I've witnessed personally just about every single person wearing a mask doing all of those actions... constantly. Then they go and touch everything else. The minute you touch your mask and touch something else, you've just spread whatever viral particles are on your mask. You're act of "safety" and "caring for others" just compounded the risk and safety of others.

And that is talking about an air conditioned, controlled environment where the person is wearing the mask for 15-30 minutes at most.

You throw that into a Disney environment and you'd be an absolute fool to believe face masks are going to help anything. Now throw children into the equation. Even more of a preventable disaster. And we haven't even gotten into the scientific studies that prove healthy people wearing face masks do absolutely nothing to prevent spread of illnesses. Or the fact that most of the masks people are wearing either fit incorrectly and/or don't have enough layers of cloth needed to truly prevent viral particles from spreading.

It's a feel good emotional act. That's all it is. It's to put the uninformed minds at ease thinking not only are they being safe but they are caring about others. In my line of work I've sat through countless meetings (and now webinars) by medical experts that all say the same thing... stop believing what the media is telling you and masks are not a means to keep everyone safe. Staying home if you are sick or not feeling well - something the majority never did - is key, proper hygiene and hand washing is the most important, not touching everything in site, and keeping your hands away from your face - something that is compounded and exponentially increased when you're wearing a face mask.

Lilofan

Although this crazy dude was following safety protocols by wearing a mask AND even gloves, he pulled out a gun cause a kid got too close to him? Effects of pandemic are making people paranoid and crazy. There are numerous witnesses right there and he didn't even care.

It is going to hard to identify criminals on camera or if one is a witness to a crime if the bad guy is wearing a mask..

Lilofan

I wore one of the grocery store yesterday and couldn’t wait to get out of the store so I could take off the stupid mask. I had it on for maybe 15 minutes in a climate controlled environment. The level of misery wearing one of those in the hot Florida sun sounds awful to me. I’m with you ... mask requirement equals no Disney trip.
Good you made up your mind. Don't want to confirm to the rules?. Don't go, stay home or spend your money elsewhere. Life is too short to work hard for your money and spend it and be miserable.

Last edited:

Phonedave

You bring up the most important point about mask wearing and what so many people fail to realize...

It's not about being selfish or thinking you're better than everyone... wearing a mask is something that 99% of our population never does. It is going to be uncomfortable. It's going to be hard to breath. It's going to be more of an annoyance than anything else. That is the problem!

What does that lead to? Constant touching of the masks, adjusting them, pulling them down, scratching beneath them (hello guys with beards)... I've witnessed personally just about every single person wearing a mask doing all of those actions... constantly. Then they go and touch everything else. The minute you touch your mask and touch something else, you've just spread whatever viral particles are on your mask. You're act of "safety" and "caring for others" just compounded the risk and safety of others.

And that is talking about an air conditioned, controlled environment where the person is wearing the mask for 15-30 minutes at most.

You throw that into a Disney environment and you'd be an absolute fool to believe face masks are going to help anything. Now throw children into the equation. Even more of a preventable disaster. And we haven't even gotten into the scientific studies that prove healthy people wearing face masks do absolutely nothing to prevent spread of illnesses. Or the fact that most of the masks people are wearing either fit incorrectly and/or don't have enough layers of cloth needed to truly prevent viral particles from spreading.

It's a feel good emotional act. That's all it is. It's to put the uninformed minds at ease thinking not only are they being safe but they are caring about others. In my line of work I've sat through countless meetings (and now webinars) by medical experts that all say the same thing... stop believing what the media is telling you and masks are not a means to keep everyone safe. Staying home if you are sick or not feeling well - something the majority never did - is key, proper hygiene and hand washing is the most important, not touching everything in site, and keeping your hands away from your face - something that is compounded and exponentially increased when you're wearing a face mask.

I don't buy this argument. What are we, children who can't control what we do, or tolerate a little discomfort?

Aside from people who already have breathing issues, a mask does not suffocate you - if it does, you are doing something wrong.

You don't need to constantly touch your face or adjust you mask. Just don't do it. Sure, not wearing a mask is more comfortable than wearing one, but so are a lot of other things we do for the sake of society. Maybe people don't like wearing pants - but they do. , WDW does not allow short shorts, but some people are more comfortable in them.

People make wearing a mask seem like they are wearing a dive mask and snorkel while wearing a 50lb weighted vest under a winter coat.

As for "Staying home if you are sick or not feeling well - something the majority never did - is key" that is part of the problem. Many people are sick, and are shedding virus, but still feel fine. Also, we can't get people to agree to wear a mask to help benefit the population as a whole, do you really think you can get a person who feels under the weather to stay home.

Disstevefan1

Masks at WDW.... I’ve got a bad feeling about this... Will I be a good boy and comply and wear a mask at WDW? Yes. OK that’s one.... Now if Disney can only convince the 35 thousand other people to ALL keep their masks on. They can’t. That’s what worries me.

Texas84

Aside from people who already have breathing issues, a mask does not suffocate you - if it does, you are doing something wrong.
And that's the issue. We don't know the right type to use and don't know how to use them. I tried one and couldn't breathe. Some friends just sent my parents their home made masks and I'm told breathing is not an issue with those. But my area is not requiring them and I ain't wearing one.

mdcpr

I've lived fulltime in Florida for 24 years, sweetie, but then again I'm not a snowflake. You sure as hell don't know me, so where do you get off saying I'm "terrified", I go outside every single day, often on my way to my essential job at the hospital laboratory. If you can't enjoy yourself because I'M wearing a mask, why don't YOU stay home. Can't imagine where you are gonna go, if you can't stand the sight of someone in a mask.
welcome to my ignore list.
Not topic-specific, but thank you for your service working at a hospital.

durangojim

If Disney decides that they are requiring people to wear masks at their parks (which I hope they do), and you don't want to wear one, that's fine. Just don't go to Disney. Don't try to make a point. Don't try to explain how tough and healthy you are. Don't try to explain that it's unlikely you'll get sick and even less likely that you'll die, because none of that matters. What matters is that there are people who are becoming ill, some seriously, some with lung changes that are going to affect them for years. And some people will die. We aren't sure who those will be. If you're angry about the situation, go yell at a cloud, but don't come to Disney this year. If Disney doesn't require a mask, at least have the common courtesy to practice good hygiene and be respectful of others.

mdcpr

I wore a mask to go grocery shopping, hated it, re-adjusted it too many times and threw it away. Then I got ill 7 days later. I'm a healthy fit woman in my 40s, so symptoms were mild. People, wear a mask, and most importantly wear it right. And this is when someone will be offended but I'm stating the truth--the typical demographic for WDW is not healthy and fit. I got lucky, others might not. Wear a mask!

Lilofan

I wore a mask to go grocery shopping, hated it, re-adjusted it too many times and threw it away. Then I got ill 7 days later. I'm a healthy fit woman in my 40s, so symptoms were mild. People, wear a mask, and most importantly wear it right. And this is when someone will be offended but I'm stating the truth--the typical demographic for WDW is not healthy and fit. I got lucky, others might not. Wear a mask!
To add, a WDW vacation in the heat of the summer is far from relaxing. Compounded with some that are unhealthy, walking and standing in hot temperatures with little shade and then to wear a mask that for some may feel like their breathing is restricted, that's a recipe for unpleasant times.

HouCuseChickie

I think I could handle it in the cooler months, but we opted to cancel our July trip because I can tell you that wearing one...even for just a little while...in 90+ degree heat and humidity isn't exactly comfortable. I'm sure there are others who may be better with it, but I'd rather postpone for a future date where it should at least be more comfortable to wear them if they're still being required.

EmmieSue

Would you go?

No, I won't go, and I really hope that they will refund me for the months they were closed and the months they require masks for my annual pass. I struggle in the heat to begin with, I couldn't imagine wearing a mask.

Also, you have to remember that all the people in here saying they would wear masks are adults. Can you imagine trying to get a child to wear a mask all day in Florida summer weather, or honestly, all day period? I know there are some kids who have that as their reality already, but I have a feeling they don't take trips to Disney in the height of summer.

Also the mask is pretty useless when you are constantly taking it off and on to drink and stay hydrated. I am constantly drinking water when I am there. My hands would be raw the first day from washing them every time I remove my mask to drink and again to put it back on. I can imagine the numbers of people being dehydrated and having medical issues from that and the heat would increase a lot. It would be a safety hazard in that respect. How many people saying they will wear a mask to get in can say 100% that they won't end up ill from the heat/dehydration? How many of you have been in that situation already and know for sure your body can handle it?

I can also say I would constantly be adjusting the mask or moving it because I would be hot, sweaty, and just uncomfortable.

It's not practical. Yes it is being done in China, but they are used to masks all the time. The majority grow up with it. Their bodies are used to it. They are just popping one on for a week of vacation in a hot, humid climate that they likely aren't used to to begin with. Being from NY our weather is drastically different, even our heat and humidity does not feel the same as the heat and humidity in Florida.

Also I know a lot are saying "oh look it would work because half the people on this board say they would wear one", but this board does not make up the majority of travelers and there are far more "die hards" here than there are in reality. So...I am thinking Disney still will be taking a huge financial hit by requiring it.

Disstevefan1

I haven't been able to find any indication that the Florida re-opening task force or the Orange Co. re-opening task force have mentioned anything about the guests wearing masks at theme parks. The employees, yes, but nothing for the customers. Just social distancing, hand sanitizers, etc. It eventually may come to that, but to this point it hasn't been part of any mandates I don't believe.

Chapek says guests will wear masks:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom