Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

LongtimeReader

Just rode... The ride looks and sounds great. I was in the front and had no water issue, though the bottom of the boats were indeed wet. The only negative to me was that while the new lighting looked amazing on the show scenes, it was bleeding onto the ceilings and made them more visible than before. And...still no clouds, save for one that was restored at the end near the fire scene. I have no idea why that was the only one, and sadly where it is is a spot with he weirdest light leak of all...a whole bunch of soft blue light that was from the top of a roof set with nothing under or above it. So you could see the wall and ceiling most of all there, and it bled over into the one and only cloud effect, which diminished the effectiveness.

That said, I'm the only one who probably looked up, and the rest of the ride looked amazing. No mermaids, but no big loss.

Professor_Jason

I can just see it now....

Copper: "Well Johnny, why don't you tell us why you climbed that tower and started shooting people?"

Sad Sack Johnny: "It all started when I was a kid and my parents took me on Pirates of the Caribbean and I saw robotic men chasing women! That is just wrong!!"
You made me lol with that!! :)

SteamboatStitch

My memory is fuzzy but wasn't there an issue a long while back when the mermaids were working properly with a lot of guests basically ignoring the "keep your hands and arms inside the boat" bit in this segment, because "Herp-derp I'm at didney world!", and sticking their hands in the drink? Would this be reason enough to remove that element, if it is indeed gone?

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
My memory is fuzzy but wasn't there an issue a long while back when the mermaids were working properly with a lot of guests basically ignoring the "keep your hands and arms inside the boat" bit in this segment, because "Herp-derp I'm at didney world!", and sticking their hands in the drink? Would this be reason enough to remove that element, if it is indeed gone?

Well that was the only place in the ride where there was any tail chasing left....:cautious:

*1023*

That Guy

Is the board still in place at the bottom of the drop? (Anyone else notice that in the months before it closed, or was I seeing things?) I thought it was there to keep the boats drier until this refurb, but it sounds like the water in the boats aspect wasn't addressed.

Yankee Mouse

Just rode... The ride looks and sounds great. I was in the front and had no water issue, though the bottom of the boats were indeed wet. The only negative to me was that while the new lighting looked amazing on the show scenes, it was bleeding onto the ceilings and made them more visible than before. And...still no clouds, save for one that was restored at the end near the fire scene. I have no idea why that was the only one, and sadly where it is is a spot with he weirdest light leak of all...a whole bunch of soft blue light that was from the top of a roof set with nothing under or above it. So you could see the wall and ceiling most of all there, and it bled over into the one and only cloud effect, which diminished the effectiveness.

That said, I'm the only one who probably looked up, and the rest of the ride looked amazing. No mermaids, but no big loss.

I looked up and you are right, those were the only clouds I saw. I also didn't see any memaids and even asked my wife because I thought maybe I missed it, but she didn't see them either. Besides all that,I thought it looked good. You could definitely tell it had been cleaned up a lot with new costumes,paint, etc. Oh, we also got wet, not as wet as before but still a little wet from the drop and the cannons.

On another note, the line was obviously long since it had just reopened and without the second entrance we merged from 3-4 across into 1-2. It was a real pain.

bhg469

I looked up and you are right, those were the only clouds I saw. I also didn't see any memaids and even asked my wife because I thought maybe I missed it, but she didn't see them either. Besides all that,I thought it looked good. You could definitely tell it had been cleaned up a lot with new costumes,paint, etc. Oh, we also got wet, not as wet as before but still a little wet from the drop and the cannons.

On another note, the line was obviously long since it had just reopened and without the second entrance we merged from 3-4 across into 1-2. It was a real pain.
FP+ queue really messed up loading in this attraction.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
I haven't been to WDW since October 2014. When did the water in the boats problem start? I've never had that issue. Just curious if it in the past year or was I just lucky enough to not get wet feet.

Next Big Thing

I suppose. But, i hadn't stopped riding it because the audio was muddy. I stopped riding it because I didn't want to walk around wet from the waist down anymore.
It's possible that fixing the boat issue was in the original plan, but when they cut down the time from 6 to 4 months, it got axed for the bare essentials. Hopefully the boat issue gets fixed, but I have doubts.

Bairstow

It's amazing that after all this work they still can't keep the boats from taking on water during the drop.
I had assumed that this problem was the main reason for the refurb in the first place.

I doubt it.
The mermaids had reliability issues since day one. And I was there on day one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom