Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Dream Along With Mickey scheduled restart is 8/19. That date could slide a bit if needed at no cost to Disney. However it must be done by 9/11 and 12 due to a high profit hard ticket Night of Joy event and 9/15 starts the Halloween hard ticket parties.

Work going on in the hub during those events might not be ideal, but it wouldn't prevent them from happening.

ChrisM

total-recall-two-weeks.jpg

jrhwdw

I'm guessing they want this done by 9-15 from A "Show Standpoint"? Yes the parties do sell out but the first shouldn't and the parties don't get the Christmas Day/NYE crowds do they?

bakntime

They probably want at least the area in front of the castle (the stage, the ramps, the tarps on the turrets etc) done by September. But even if the new outer ring of walkways (landscaping, paths, the new food/beverage structures on either side) takes a bit longer, it wouldn't interfere with the Joy/Halloween events.

Not that they won't be done by then, but there's already more room in the hub than there was before, and a bit of remaining work on the sides wouldn't completely ruin the area for those events.

It does seem like the bulk of construction is finished, aside from the new ramp(s). The new outer ring pathways are already outlined, and all that's really left is to pour the concrete and finish the sod.

wogwog

An acquaintance who works at the MK showed me a way to get an idea when major concrete work will be done around Main Street. If you look at the public calendar showing hours of operation and show schedules you can see when the 11:00 Street Party is not on the schedule. It will only list the 12:30 and 5:40 performance. Those are the days when early morning concrete work will occur so they cancel the first performance to allow more time for the concrete to dry.

This work can be anywhere on Main Street, the sidewalks or around the castle plaza. The dates for the next three weeks are Aug 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, and 18 for new concrete. This is not necessarily a guarantee all the work will be done on time but that is a lot of days in a short time running up to the planned return of the castle stage show.

So take it for what it is worth. I am local but seldom visit MK because of the crowds so I have not seen much of the work in progress in person so I appreciate the pictures being posted by those braver than me who tolerate the sea of humanity. I prefer the three other neglected parks when I feel like a Disney fix. At least they are not as crowded.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, July 29. Besides the castle towers being added to either side of Cinderella Castle, perhaps the final update to this project is the castle stage area, which is now completely walled off from the hub. Some refurbishment of the stage area can be seen here. No castle stage shows were scheduled.

IMG_5884.JPG

Additionally, gray construction cloth hides both sides of the castle stage along the moat area. Here is a photo of the left side, taken from the Liberty Square bridge.

IMG_5879.JPG

Otamin

Photo update as of Wednesday, July 29. Besides the castle towers being added to either side of Cinderella Castle, perhaps the final update to this project is the castle stage area, which is now completely walled off from the hub. Some refurbishment of the stage area can be seen here. No castle stage shows were scheduled.

View attachment 103578

Additionally, gray construction cloth hides both sides of the castle stage along the moat area. Here is a photo of the left side, taken from the Liberty Square bridge.

View attachment 103579
It really would be nice to see the stage lose the staircases and other rubbish it currently adorns.

Maybe someday...

bakntime

It really would be nice to see the stage lose the staircases and other rubbish it currently adorns.
I really don't understand that stuff. It's not the end of the world that it's there, but it just looks cluttered and unnecessary. Remove those arches (seriously, why are they there?), and maybe cut the little stairs/platform down a bit. The stage shows wouldn't be impacted at all.

Lynn Stephens

When I was there in February it looked like a mess. A crane towered behind the castle and became the focal point. Shame it was my wife and sons first visit to WDW and seeing MK like that was not ideal. Now my wife's impression of WDW is "meh". Looking forward to my November visit when it will be done and pretty and stuffs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom