Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

MarkTwain

Although I can't say for certain what the side street will look like, I might have an idea. As some may know, Disneyland is receiving a very similar parallel street to their Main Street, and I was walking through DCA with a friend and Imagineer who had just finished working on their version. We were discussing what the street would be like and whether WDW's would be similar (this was right after Steve/WDWmagic broke the rumor that we'd be getting one too); he suspected they would be. He was starting to explain what the street would look like when he gestured to the side of the boardwalk at Paradise Pier.

billboards_threeboards2009ah_zpsfb42b90a.jpg

"Pretty much like that."

Me: "...Are you serious?"

"Mainly just a fence, maybe some signs and streetlights. There should be some plants though." He was quick to point out that the budget was constantly fluctuating on this, but it had only fluctuated downward since he had known about it. This was for Disneyland's version, but I suspect ours may be similar.

Last edited:

The Visionary Soul

Although I can't say for certain what the side street will look like, I might have an idea. As some may know, Disneyland is receiving a very similar parallel street to their Main Street, and I was walking through DCA with a friend and Imagineer who had just finished working on their version. We were discussing what the street would be like and whether WDW's would be similar (this was right after Steve/WDWmagic broke the rumor that we'd be getting one too); he suspected they would be. He was starting to explain what the street would look like when he gestured to the side of the boardwalk at Paradise Pier.

"Pretty much like that."

"Mainly just a fence, maybe some signs and streetlights. There should be some plants though." He was quick to point out that the budget was constantly fluctuating on this, but it had only fluctuated downward since he had known about it. This was for Disneyland's version, but I suspect ours may be similar.
Yup. Just no billboards at eye level. WDW's billboards will be on the buildings.

Clamman73

The train station is always a bottle neck at closing time or just after the fireworks. I am sure they
could make the tunnel under the station wider.

There might be substantial support structure on both sides of the walls of the tunnels you don't see under the finish look of the them.

Father Robinson

...I dont think anyone was IGNORING it...but no one has a solid answer.

Sorry. Ignoring wasn't meant to sound harsh or anything. Unaddressed would be a better choice. Educated guesses always provide hope for us that know it's going to happen regardless of all the back and forth.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It's actually really damn close now. Congrats to you for really doing a great job on this.

That said, it's not perfect, but nothing in Photoshop will ever be. Here are other things that would need to change:

-No more swan boat dock.

-Lost more flowers and small trees in the other areas.

-Moat gets "thinner" near the new bridge. Imagine the shorelines just closer together the closer you get to the new bridge.

Besides that, it's pretty damn perfect. Great work!

Just want to double check one thing:

-Lost more flowers and small trees in the other areas.

LOST more or LOTS more? Typo or truth? More landscaping, or more deforestation?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Oh-kay, here it is, my final revision. No more suggestions accepted, I've spent way too much time on this thing. ;) Feel free to point out anything that's wrong with it though for sake of accurate information. @wdwmagic , feel free to update any news articles or other links with this. @TheVisionarySoul , how's it look now?

Thanks for taking the time do all these renderings - much appreciated.

Lee

Adventurer

"Pretty much like that."

According to the plans....he really isn't fat off.
Wooden fence...planters...some signage...
A continuation of Main St., or a DLP arcade, it ain't.

jt04

According to the plans....he really isn't fat off.
Wooden fence...planters...some signage...
A continuation of Main St., or a DLP arcade, it ain't.

Lost opportunity but the hub plan is welcome. Guess the Swan Boats will not be returning. Heh.

~elbow room~

Soarin' Over Pgh

There are two designated, gated FP+ areas either side of Main Street. These are the areas above the current water to be covered with artificial grass. Logic would say if they're going to all this trouble it should be an area for anyone since the company openly admits they have a traffic problem. But this is FP+.

In brighter news it appears the east diversion should have a connecting guest corridor to Center Street East.

Probably a stupid question, but would they consider bleachers or any type of seating? If it's for FP+... I could possibly see it happening. Esp. with artificial grass already underfoot.

I've just gotten some more info on the trees issue. Some trees are being saved and moved. Many new small trees will be added, but will be contained in tree pots that appear to be full planters. This will allow them to easily change out the trees when they get too tall with shorter ones. Lots of new flowers are going everywhere. And I mean everywhere. It's actually going to look pretty nice. Just wish the MK had taller trees and hedges to block the views from these new routes. But the good news is that the MK is getting some nice new trees, they're just smaller than I would have liked. Can't say too much now, as I just don't have time, but I'll post some more later. If you have any specific questions, try tagging me in a post and I will be sure to answer.

Thanks for the info! I'm liking the way this project is sounding. I especially like the trees in planters that can be switched out. That's certainly better than nothing.

For the record, I like your avatar photo. It's creepy. I dig creepy.

FerretAfros

Does anybody have an idea of the timeframe for the bypass? I saw that area on Sunday morning during the Princess Half, and there was no sign of any sort of construction. Even if they start today, I'd be pretty surprised if it was ready in time for summer

Minthorne

Thanks so much for doing these mock-ups!

Oh-kay, here it is, my final revision. No more suggestions accepted, I've spent way too much time on this thing. ;) Feel free to point out anything that's wrong with it though for sake of accurate information. @wdwmagic , feel free to update any news articles or other links with this. @TheVisionarySoul , how's it look now?

Hub now:

Overlay_zpsbdcbcc66.jpg

Hub in the future:

Overlay4_zps5dbce6ad.jpg

You know the more I look at it, the more it really does start to look like Tokyo Disneyland's hub:

TDL_zpsc05fdf91.png

Which is a shame because I thought TDL's hub was much too sprawling and uninteresting. TDL seems to be the best at handling crowds of all the castle parks worldwide, but that comes at a major loss of intimacy and sense of place that make Magic Kingdoms and Disneylands such a pleasant experience. A "park," if you will.

rael ramone

It demonstrates a willingness on Disney's part to improve their parks for the vast majority of guests without having to tie it directly to revenue.

I think the 'FP minus' special areas included in the plan DO tie it directly to revenue. I'm guessing it's part of the NGE budget. Perhaps we have NGE to thank for the bypass. Otherwise the 15 year traffic problem would be a 20-25yr problem. :eek:

Other thoughts:

Losing the Rose Garden: :banghead: The new paths not expanding to the Rose Garden area and still taking it out. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

The Rose Garden is one of the MK's Must Do's!!! A quiet respite (when there isn't a dance party or castle show going on) away from the rest of the park to enjoy the simple pleasures of smelling the roses. The Rose path in Epcot is far less enjoyable due to the crowds using the path. I don't know how enjoyable the new green offerings in the hub will be with all the people in the area.

wannab@dis

Though it's still a shame the rose garden is being removed. What reason do they have to cut it when it barely interferes with the expansion?

Just conjecture here...

That area currently has a gentle slope from the hub down to the moat. More than likely, they will bring in fill out to the new second ring so it is level with the hub. Once that's done, there will be a steeper slope from the second ring down to the existing section around the moat. They will probably have to even that out which require new landscaping in the rose garden area. That doesn't mean they won't keep the roses and put them back in once the slope has been configured.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom