Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

And man you should have seen the line for Aloha Isle (Island?). At least they have a queue of sorts that keeps the guests out of the walkway.

psherman42

Though I know it's not the same as it used to be, for what it's worth, Diamond Horseshoe has been open for lunch for at least the past month now. During Easter Week, it was taken over by Liberty Tree Tavern during dinner hours offering more guests the chance to have a table service dinner when Liberty Tree and all other full service locations where reservations only and I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again in the future during peak seasons such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.

Hobnail Boot

Adventureland Veranda will be taken back by F&B, once Tink moves to Town Square Theater. It will probably need a nice refurb after and be seasonal but, it will be able to be opened in the future.
That's good to hear about the Veranda. I understand they are trying to save money by doing seasonal openings with these restaurants, but seriously, the busiest theme park in the world only has three continuously operating QS restaurants. I'm sure my local Six Flags has that or more. If they simply continuously opened just Tortuga Tavern or Adventureland Veranda that alone would do wonders.

WDWLover#1

Astonishing to look at. So much more sophisticated, mature. Less plastic.

Disney parks were designed better before designers had notions about what a Disney park looks like. Modern Disney often feels like a parodie of itself. The MK is being turned into one of those knock-off parks. You know, those comical Asian and European parks with plasticy fairytale castles and lots of pink flowers everywhere, because that's what they think makes the Disney magic.
Being to dlp it's the best Disney magic kingdom I've seen in terms of design. Their adventureland and frontierland is the best anywhere in the world. Their fantasyland is beautiful. I mean the view from there! Stunning. The lands feel more real there. And the castle is majestic. Trust me its a thing to look at. It's interesting to see why you'd think that the parks outside us are tacky. Unless you're being sarcastic which would mean the last 5 mins of my life typing this was pointless :banghead:

tirian

Being to dlp it's the best Disney magic kingdom I've seen in terms of design. Their adventureland and frontierland is the best anywhere in the world. Their fantasyland is beautiful. I mean the view from there! Stunning. The lands feel more real there. And the castle is majestic. Trust me its a thing to look at. It's interesting to see why you'd think that the parks outside us are tacky. Unless you're being sarcastic which would mean the last 5 mins of my life typing this was pointless :banghead:
He's not talking about Disney-owned parks; he's referring to the Disney knock-offs around the world. Google Nara Dreamland and prepare to have nightmares! :D

wogwog

Though I know it's not the same as it used to be, for what it's worth, Diamond Horseshoe has been open for lunch for at least the past month now. During Easter Week, it was taken over by Liberty Tree Tavern during dinner hours offering more guests the chance to have a table service dinner when Liberty Tree and all other full service locations where reservations only and I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again in the future during peak seasons such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.
Another option I recommend is to take a quiet lunch out of the MK at the "Wave" just of the lobby in the Contemporary Resort. A short stroll or one stop from MK on the resort Monorail. Tucked out of the way and seldom crowded. Think coffee shop and more with even healthy choices on the menu. I would doubt you would ever need to make a reservation from my experience.

wogwog

Another big crowd control factor is who performs the PAC roll at DLR and MK. DLR is mostly full time or part time local residents who work PAC and understand the guest. They do not have a hundred college kids working who are rotated and replaced every few months like MK. MK has a high percentage of the PAC cast, especially at the night parade and fireworks, from international and US college programs that have no choice as to when and where they work. They are here in Florida for 3 to 12 months and leave to be replaced by another student like them. The difference in the guest is as stated in other posts is correct. At MK too many period, and too many first timers. Local to MK cast do not work the PAC role as full time or part time. When you visit next notice the name tags on the cast working around you as you line up for the parade or fireworks. If the name tag has a US college or foreign city they are temp college kids. If they are local that will usually be because they are a new hire and are waiting for their transfer request to be processed.

You may also be shocked at the amount of support PAC cast have to help them. It is not unusual to have three managers and five or six supervisors for the entire parade route for the PAC cast to count on for help.

No amount of fancy Hub design will solve the crowd problem. It may help a little but it will never be like DLR.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Another big crowd control factor is who performs the PAC roll at DLR and MK. DLR is mostly full time or part time local residents who work PAC and understand the guest. They do not have a hundred college kids working who are rotated and replaced every few months like MK

DLR doesn't rely on CP kids the same as wdw.. but the demographic isn't really different (local college age kids) they just have turnover for different reasons :) like lack of loyality, willingness to stick with Disney's lame pay/policies/etc. Turnover got better once the economy tanked and people got more desperate.. but turnover is still pretty high.

The Empress Lilly

I meant what @tirian said, namely the cheap non-Disney knockoffs.

Personally, at the risk of straying too far off-topic, I think DLP can't hold a candle to either US castle park. The MK is so much prettier and more majestic it is not even funny anymore. Even years of creative mismanagement haven't changed that. DLP does have some fantastic qualities of its own.

Below is a Disney park once you
- remove the trees from the hub
- add a statue
- think toon characters are the show instead of a show complement
- build a permanent stage in front of the park icon
- paint everything in lots of fun bright colours

196q5yhqmsm6qjpg.jpg

The end result is complete rubbish. Yet this, all five points, is exactly the creative direction WDW is and has been moving in.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Personally, at the risk of straying too far off-topic, I think DLP can't hold a candle to either US castle park. The MK is so much prettier and more majestic it is not even funny anymore. Even years of creative mismanagement haven't changed that. DLP does have some fantastic qualities of its own.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. DLP is gorgeous, has the best versions of most of the classic E-tickets, and manages to have a completely different feel from the other castle parks despite using the same basic themes. They've had some management issues through the years, but the park simply can't be beat, IMO

DL has its charm, but this often leads to bizarre layouts and crowd control nightmares. MK has its grandeur, but has tons of areas that are dreadfully dated with a 70's design aesthetic and seems to be missing a lot of the details that set the other parks apart. Although DLP has its financial problems (due to overbuilding hotels), the park itself is incredible and manages to keep the charm while working on a much larger scale

Walt Disney Studios Parc, on the other hand, is just a complete mess

GetAPaperBag

Can anyone give an update or pictures on where the project is at now? In considering proposal spots, I'm a little concerned about different spots not being their best because of this. Thanks.

reptar77

Can anyone give an update or pictures on where the project is at now? In considering proposal spots, I'm a little concerned about different spots not being their best because of this. Thanks.
This is a pano I took from the tomorrow land terrace a couple days ago. It pretty much looks the same as the pics posted originally. There are a lot of construction walls up.
13927782647_bb42031211_b.jpg

jt04

I'm considering this spot, anyone know if it's normal or has it been affected by the construction?

Photo0199FourBySix.jpg

I think that area is under construction or soon will be. However, the FLE area is not and is all shiny and new. They need a spot like this on the other side of the castle. Just a suggestion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom