Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
DSCN2740.JPG
one moe time, they are NOT show lighting, they are PATHWAY lights, you can see that they point to the walkways that they are above
While they may point at the Magic Kingdom walkways, and may be used to light those routes at night (in white mode), it is also theatrical lighting-as they are able to change colors, etc....I saw them in use. Unlike DL's old style par cans (with colored gels over the bulb), the new MK lighting looks to be LED based and are able to generate every color of the rainbow (ok, maybe an exaggeration). There are new foundations next the Liberty Square bridge for more of these. They will greatly enhance both the Boo to You Parade and Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade. The hub never had any theatrical lighting for the parade route, so the parades looked far duller than they did along Main Street proper, where theatrical lights rise from the roof tops of the Main Street buildings. The Move It, Shake It, presentation will also be more vibrant, as the lighting completely surrounds ALL of the inner ring of the hub. So while you say "they are pathway lights" in which they are, their main purpose is show lighting.

(I should mention that I've been involved in entertainment for most of my life, and played in a band-in college-with the lighting designer for the Lion King, on Broadway, in which he won a Tony, so I know the difference in lighting)

Last edited:

dstrawn9889

View attachment 110626
While they may point at the Magic Kingdom walkways, and may be used to light those routes at night (in white mode), it is also theatrical lighting-as they are able to change colors, etc....I saw them in use. Unlike DL's old style par cans (with colored gels over the bulb), the new MK lighting looks to be LED based and are able to generate every color of the rainbow (ok, maybe an exaggeration). There are new foundations next the Liberty Square bridge for more of these. They will greatly enhance both the Boo to You Parade and Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade. The hub never had any theatrical lighting for the parade route, so the parades looked far duller than they did along Main Street proper, where theatrical lights rise from the roof tops of the Main Street buildings. The Move It, Shake It, presentation will also be more vibrant, as the lighting completely surrounds ALL of the inner ring of the hub. So while you say "they are pathway lights" in which they are, their main purpose is show lighting.
OK, point. they are used as walkway lighting though, so no sense to make them retractable.

dstrawn9889

Yes there is. The majority of the operating day does not require the lights to be in use, in which they would be down.
But they are used for GUEST SAFETY, so they will not retract (come on Lawyers, speak up)... if they weren't available the very second someone could not see, there would be a lawsuit <and that because they are in guest accessible areas, they would ALL have to be supervised during motion> i would never expect that option to even be on the table in good ol' sue happy USA

TTA94

Anyone know if they plan to add these poll lights, or upgrade the rooftop lights, for the rest of the parade route/walkways? They do use the temporary LED lighting on the roof tops of Main Street for the parties, Some cool lighting effects I might add.. Would be kinda cool if they made them permanent!

Next Big Thing

But they are used for GUEST SAFETY, so they will not retract (come on Lawyers, speak up)... if they weren't available the very second someone could not see, there would be a lawsuit <and that because they are in guest accessible areas, they would ALL have to be supervised during motion> i would never expect that option to even be on the table in good ol' sue happy USA
Please explain to me why you would need them for guest safety in the middle of the day, as you are being blinded by sun.

dstrawn9889

you cant just hit a switch, what if a child is standing on one of the covers, or a bookbag with insulin falls in, a child puts his hand in the mechanism... you have to have someone at each pole watching... every time you want an up or down command, seconds imagined can stretch to minutes, waiting for CMs to supervise and make sure area is clear

Next Big Thing

you cant just hit a switch, what if a child is standing on one of the covers, or a bookbag with insulin falls in, a child puts his hand in the mechanism... you have to have someone at each pole watching... every time you want an up or down command, seconds imagined can stretch to minutes, waiting for CMs to supervise and make sure area is clear
Could you be anymore dense...

I was obviously simplifying the process and there would be safety procedures in line. However, it could easily be done. They chose not to.

Oh, and those lights aren't used to light up sidewalks during rainy days. At night before parade/fireworks, yes. But in the day, no. How do I know? I'm a former Main Street Custodian... as recent as May. The current parts of the hub were already open for 3 months by the time I left.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom