Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

ABQ

This is from last week (I've been too busy to get to it):

Hub
Click to enlarge...

Hmm, with very little additional work, they could make it look like this:
999-20005P1.jpg

hokielutz

So it looks like the Adventure Land Side of the work will be ready before the other side.

Thanks Scott for your overhead photos!

JediMasterMatt

It's funny how when I see the ground level photos, it looks like they are making progress. When I see the aerial photos, it looks like they still have a long, long way to go.

You expect too much. The project is scheduled for a year and a half plus... and they are right on track.

Since I was there last week, I can attest that this fiasco is even worse in person.

If the southern walls don't come down by Spring Break season... get ready for the Royal Rumble at the Hub when it comes to fighting over positions for parades and fireworks.

The crowd control Cast Members are none too pleased. Especially coming off a particularly brutal holiday season with the Frozen Castle lighting.

How any Disney Parks fan can stomach the complete lack of adherence to show quality at the heart of the Magic Kingdom is appalling. They can't move any quicker because they don't want to do the unthinkable - close down the Hub and work around the clock (or at least during the day). Can't have anyone miss a parade or fireworks show, can we? Oh wait, plenty of people are missing it now because they can't get a decent view of it with all of the construction.

For an extra dose of MK magic, get a spot for a parade across from the current FP+ viewing area in the center square near the train station and just watch the guests that try to fill in all the empty space in the middle for those that don't show for their FP. You got to feel for the Cast Members having to eject people from the open space and explaining to them that they need to go across the street and stand 10 people deep in the crowd just in case a FP person somehow manages to fight through the crowds and construction after the parade starts. Last week, the FP+ viewing area for Festival of Fantasy had to be at least 1/4 full leaving plenty of available space. (The same could be said of the FP+ viewing area for Illuminations)

If TDO had any faith in the rest of the resort, they would've been able to knock this project out in a matter of a month or so by running the risk of cancelling parades and fireworks. Unfortunately, they don't and we get the current mess.

note2001

The crowd control Cast Members are none too pleased. Especially coming off a particularly brutal holiday season with the Frozen Castle lighting.
...<snip>...
get a spot for a parade across from the current FP+ viewing area in the center square near the train station and just watch the guests that try to fill in all the empty space in the middle for those that don't show for their FP. You got to feel for the Cast Members having to eject people from the open space and explaining to them that they need to go across the street and stand 10 people deep in the crowd just in case a FP person somehow manages to fight through the crowds and construction after the parade starts. Last week, the FP+ viewing area for Festival of Fantasy had to be at least 1/4 full leaving plenty of available space. (The same could be said of the FP+ viewing area for Illuminations)

With this mess, I am SO glad my daughter did not apply for, or get into the CP this spring. She'd loose her Disney cool with one back talking guest who thinks he/she and attached family are entitled to ___<insert anything>___.

dstrawn9889

I know right .. Seems to me they would have done the other side first since that is the new "back way" out of the MK.
that 'backway out' needs to be a heavier construction, as it is a route for emergency vehicles and heavy equipment from the hub offstage. it takes more prep work for the higher weight pourings. deeper pours, more rbar and remesh....

FigmentForver96

This is a no win situation for Disney at this point. Alright it's not that pretty but it has to be done. Your right they could just cancel the parade and projection show for a while, but then there would just me lines out Guest Relations about how little Jimmy never got to see the parade! And crowd control...God close the whole Hub down and you would see some major crowd control issues much worse then they are currently.

herc

All this time and only two of the six sections are being worked on? Seems that it is going to take years more before this is done.
Questions:
Are they taking out the four planters around Partners or is this just temporary? The video shows they are in.
Trolley not going to run any longer? I really hope that is not true.

ABQ

All this time and only two of the six sections are being worked on? Seems that it is going to take years more before this is done.
Questions:
Are they taking out the four planters around Partners or is this just temporary? The video shows they are in.
Trolley not going to run any longer? I really hope that is not true.
It's been said to just be temporary, to allow more standing capacity while other areas are closed off.

JediMasterMatt

This is a no win situation for Disney at this point. Alright it's not that pretty but it has to be done. Your right they could just cancel the parade and projection show for a while, but then there would just me lines out Guest Relations about how little Jimmy never got to see the parade! And crowd control...God close the whole Hub down and you would see some major crowd control issues much worse then they are currently.

It is a very winnable situation. It's just one that years of neglect have forced their hand into not even attempting.

At the very heart of this issue is the entire resorts lack of capacity. The "need" for the Hub refurb is born out of the ever increasing load that the MK has to pull. As a result of it, every ride and attraction in the MK has to pull even more weight than ever before. Things that use to be a "cherry on the sundae" like parades, fireworks, and meet-and-greets have been pulled into front line duty for the entire resort and are now "manifest destiny" guaranteed to all guests with a FP+ reservation. But, that of course is why they have to carry the weight now. If you can't fit everyone into the rides and attractions they want to experience during the day and the offer of a return time for an attraction that people don't want to experience (like Stitch) isn't enticing people, offer them up a reservation for one of those "cherries" I mentioned earlier. Of course now, you need to guarantee those cherries happen - so you can't take them offline.

Look, I completely understand that any ride or attraction going offline impacts peoples vacations. The sad fact is that WDW has used the excuse of not wanting to due refurbs, updates, and enhancements under the guise of wanting to make sure poor little Sally-Sue and Jimmy-Joe's once in a lifetime visit isn't tarnished for so long that attendance increases have gotten to the point where MM+/FP+ was created out of "necessity" and now they can't pull things offline to do even necessary work (like the current situation with PotC).

There is no reason why the parks in Orlando couldn't be run the same way the parks in Anaheim are if the parks had more ability to share the capacity load. If you are not familiar with what is going on with the ramp up to the 60th Anniversary for DL, take a look at the Disneyland Resort forum. Currently, Sleeping Beauty Castle is behind a scrim, World of Color is offline, several rides and attractions are down and the world <pun intended> on the West Coast is still spinning.

For use as a particular barometer, tune into our very own Mike S's thread for his current 1st visit ever to DLR: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...y-world-fans-first-trip-to-disneyland.895564/

He's hitting DLR at its worst and let's watch what his impression of the place is when he runs into the perfect storm of refurbs. My guess, is that he will still come away with an outstanding time.

The situation in Orlando is such that if you pulled a similar load away from any of the parks, things would fall apart quickly because there isn't enough meat on the bone remaining.

The solution to WDW's problem is simple. Return to the method that has always worked. Grow capacity at a rate that exceeds demand. Add new rides and attractions that guests want to experience and prune away those that they don't want to. The shame of an attraction like Stitch or Imagination or don't shoot me, Maelstrom, is that they should've been plussed or pulled out for something different ages ago.

Instead, we get the nuclear wasteland that is the Hub with it's FP+ corrals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom